PDA

View Full Version : Making Candles

SacredWithin
July 26th, 2004, 08:49 AM
Does anyone know how to make candles or where I can learn to make candles? It just interested me all of a sudden.:)

SilverNightShade
July 26th, 2004, 10:30 AM
there are kits and stuff if you go to Michael's.

Deranged Hermit
July 26th, 2004, 11:15 AM
There's a thread in the Arts & Crafts class (COT) about it. :smile:

MorningDove030202
July 26th, 2004, 11:40 AM
I make candles, I use a plastic votive mold from Michales to make votive sized candles, and I also use clean frozen OJ cans to make larger candles. I drill a small hole in the bottom, thread the wick threw, put some candle puddy on the bottom to keep it from leaking, wrap the other end around a pencil and then pour your wax. when it's cooled fill in the dip around the wick a few times, and then when it's totaly cool unpeal the cardboard OJ can. Then flip it over and the nice flat bottom becomes the top.

Dove

*Rain*
July 26th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Just get some wax and wicks from a craft store. You can start just by making the simple dip candles, melt the wax and simply dip the wick in and pull it out, it gradually gets fatter and fatter.

You can then get to be more creative, pour the wax in a foil coated baking tray and then as it starts to get slightly firm use a cookie cutter (I use star shaped) to get a number of shapes and pierce a hole through the centre. When they go really hard thread them onto a wick and then quickly dip it in white wax. This will make it hold together but won't ruin the colour. I tend to use two different colours and stack them alternatively.

Explosion candles - make a simple dip candle in one colour and then hold it upright on a plastic plate and pour a small amount of a different colour onto the plate. This second colour will then go hard and hold the candle upright. Then fill your kitchen sink with cold water and float the plate on top of the water. Get someone to pour some more wax of the second colour onto the plate while you quickly dunk the plate quickly into the water. The wax that has just been poured will go hard in the water and willl stick to the base of the candle and up the centre as though there has been an explosion around it.

You can buy all sorts of moulds from craft shops as well which make be cheaper than buying a kit

I haven't made candles in years but i'm off to get my wax out. Thanks for the inspiration.

Just a small point - if you want your candles to be super shiny then the wax has to be heated to 90 degrees C or above.

SacredWithin
July 26th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Thanks folks. :)