Semele
July 26th, 2004, 07:56 PM
It was hard to get a pic.

Semele
July 26th, 2004, 07:57 PM
The models!

Aine of the Fae
July 26th, 2004, 08:01 PM
How wonderful! I wish I had some talent like that...

SilverNightShade
July 26th, 2004, 08:15 PM
constructive criticism:
I thinkyou captured value pretty well in the bears, but not so well in the background. It looks flat versus full like the figures. Add some value to the back for unification.

I do like it, it's a very cute idea and the bears come out great.

Faeawyn
July 26th, 2004, 09:01 PM
They are too cute!!!!!!!!!! the bears are cute too :hehehehe:

Flaire-FireStar
July 26th, 2004, 10:37 PM
Aww! That's adorable!

Infinite Muse
July 27th, 2004, 12:10 AM
awwwwww

SilverClaw
July 27th, 2004, 02:19 AM
That is good for his first painting ! And what adorable inspiration!!

Tea Leaf
July 27th, 2004, 02:42 AM
Wow...That's lovely! :)

FeatherGoblinglimmer
July 27th, 2004, 03:10 AM
wow, what a talent.

Jenne
July 27th, 2004, 03:15 AM
Sweetiepunkins! And the bears are adorable!!!

mol
July 27th, 2004, 09:33 AM
constructive criticism:
I thinkyou captured value pretty well in the bears, but not so well in the background. It looks flat versus full like the figures. Add some value to the back for unification.

I do like it, it's a very cute idea and the bears come out great.
The picture is horrible. In the actual painting the background is very much unified with the main subject (Aside from my reflected shadows underneath the bears, I dont know what I was thinking). Of course, being my first oil I was not as concerned with the background as much as I was concerned about just *finishing* the painting. Thanks for the CC.

Everyone else, thank you very much! It was a lot of fun and I think I am going to really enjoy oils. I am already working on the next painting.

Tullip Troll
July 27th, 2004, 09:37 AM
Hope you post them.

MheraPai

maybe I can get some courage and show mine and get some CC.

mol
July 27th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Oh, I will post them. I posted most of my digital work here so I will continue with that until someone tells me to quit! :p

Ok, even if they told me to quit I wouldnt.

Avalon
July 27th, 2004, 09:51 AM
Not bad for your first try, Mol. The bears came out great.

And I just want to chew the little rugrats' ears off! :D

Faeawyn
July 27th, 2004, 09:57 AM
It reminds me of a dresser I did for a client....same premise.

mol
July 27th, 2004, 10:08 AM
It reminds me of a dresser I did for a client....same premise.
Fae, thats cool!

Convallaria
July 27th, 2004, 12:09 PM
aw! beautifully done!

Nighthawk
July 27th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Wow guys.. lotta talent here..Now, I would never be able to turn two cute kids into two cute bears... hmm, wayyyy over my head

Faeawyn
July 27th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Fae, thats cool!
I've never tried oils...I only use acrylics. But your's seem to have alot more depth than mine do....I've heard the negative side of working with oils is having to wait between drying times. Do you find that to be a problem? Or are you doing multiple paintings at a time so you don't have to wait :D?

mol
July 27th, 2004, 02:18 PM
I've never tried oils...I only use acrylics. But your's seem to have alot more depth than mine do....I've heard the negative side of working with oils is having to wait between drying times. Do you find that to be a problem? Or are you doing multiple paintings at a time so you don't have to wait :D?
Well, I haven't had the time to start multiple paintings yet, but yes...I will be doing that. Of course, the Teddy Bears were done 'Alla Prima'. All in one sitting. Thats another way of working with oils. You dont have to layer to get results. Just paint!

I will probably continue work in both ways. Right now I am working on a surreal landscape which will probably be done in layers. And when I get all of the udnerpainting done on that one I will lay it aside to dry and start another one. :)

I think the drying time is awesome. It forces the impatient to well, slow the hell down. :)

mol
July 27th, 2004, 02:23 PM
And thanks a lot everyone for coming and checking it out. Im pretty proud. Of course, I will make sure my next paintings are a lot better. :)

Morr
July 27th, 2004, 02:58 PM
i like!!

SilverClaw
July 27th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Faewyn that is awesome!! My daughter and I are doing her bookshelf and dresser and we are using sponge flowers we ordered from her school book club and some other stuff.

I use arcylic and I have to say comapred to oils, I prefer oils cause you can layer it better and it does not dry as quick, so if you want to change something you can. ( I found that out when I was doing the cover art for my tarot deck)

Of course, I will make sure my next paintings are a lot better. :) Mol I am sure you next piece will be just awesome! Looking forward to it!

mol
July 28th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks, everyone! I screwed up my newest piece last night. Instead of washing it with turps Im going to let it dty and see if I can salvage something from it later. Hopefully I will start a new painting tonight.

Druchii
July 28th, 2004, 10:50 AM
It was hard to get a pic.

On taking pics of paintings that are acrylics or oils, I have found that using an indirect light source outside on a SUNNY day with a camera mounted on a tripod or stable support of somekind will result in clearer results. :)

Wow. Yeah, for your first painting in oils, you have captured a level of depth and weight within the picture plane. The overall pallette of colour choice is warm and inviting and really unites the subject matter of the two bears with their surroundings. The bears have a fullness and a heft to them, emphasized by the good light sourcing evident in your usage and placement of the highlights. It also looks as if you used washes or at least varying thicknesses in the layers of oils that you painted with. My hats off to you Mol, I don't even have the nerve to touch oils. And your first foray into the medium shows good potential and incredible promise. It shows that you read and researched, because it is a heck of a good end result. :)

mol
July 28th, 2004, 10:55 AM
On taking pics of paintings that are acrylics or oils, I have found that using an indirect light source outside on a SUNNY day with a camera mounted on a tripod or stable support of somekind will result in clearer results. :)

Wow. Yeah, for your first painting in oils, you have captured a level of depth and weight within the picture plane. The overall pallette of colour choice is warm and inviting and really unites the subject matter of the two bears with their surroundings. The bears have a fullness and a heft to them, emphasized by the good light sourcing evident in your usage and placement of the highlights. It also looks as if you used washes or at least varying thicknesses in the layers of oils that you painted with. My hats off to you Mol, I don't even have the nerve to touch oils. And your first foray into the medium shows good potential and incredible promise. It shows that you read and researched, because it is a heck of a good end result. :)
Thanks, Dru, for the in-depth crit/comment. Obviously there are some problems, but it being my first I expected as much. As far as the camera goes, that is exactly what we did minus the tripod. :)

heidn
July 29th, 2004, 06:07 AM
Thats lovely :)