PDA

View Full Version : Innocent Victims ‘Puppy Mills’ Create Suffering for Dogs, Unwary Pet Seekers

SilverMaiden
July 27th, 2004, 01:22 PM
By Dean Schabner

July 27, 2004 — That sad look you see sometimes in your dog's eyes could be him remembering something you didn't even know you rescued him from.

Too many puppies begin their lives in dog breeding factories that force mothers to have litter after litter. Their pups are packed in cramped, unsanitary conditions until they can be shipped off to unscrupulous or unsuspecting pet shops, or sold to families who do too little to check on where their pups were raised, humane society and American Kennel Club officials say.

The conditions in some of these so-called puppy mills are so bad, they are criminal.

In one, a Colorado woman is facing 15 counts of animal cruelty for allegedly abandoning 84 Labrador retrievers in crates too small for the sick, emaciated dogs to even stand up in. Catherine "Dody" Cariaso is due to be arraigned today on the charges at Larimer County District Court.

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/US/SciTech/puppy_mills_040727-1.html

I am so happy to see this kind of think in the media. The more people know the more we can do something to shut these kind of people down.

Shanti
July 27th, 2004, 01:43 PM
The sad thing is that the artical says that many states lack in laws and/or penilties. Many just give a slap on the hand. They need to get tough.

I personally only buy from private breeders where I can go to the house and see the conditions and see both parents.

I would never buy from a pet shop, period. I wont go on what anyone says, I have to see where the pup came from!

Llewyth
July 27th, 2004, 05:12 PM
I never buy my pets period. I tell the person that they are giving their animal to someone who had years of experience with cats and dogs. That I am adopting a friend: not getting a piece of property. If they don't want to give me an animal then it doesn't matter, because everytime I put it out that that I want another pet, they sometimes practically just show up at my doorstep. :)

Black RiverWolf
July 28th, 2004, 01:47 PM
i hate that stupid people who claim to be the victims when its is the animals that they are supposed to be caring for. i have yet to not get one of my dogs from a breeder and i don't intend to by one from a pet shop. the next two dogs that i want i will only want show quality anyway but they will be just be spoiled rotten couch potatos anyways.

argento_occhi
July 31st, 2004, 10:04 AM
just the thought of that kind of cruelty brings me to tears. How can anyone possibly fathom doing that to any animal?