PDA

View Full Version : help help puppies on the way maybe lol

Yvonne Belisle
July 27th, 2004, 05:29 PM
I think my dog is in labor anyone who has been through this before and has advice for me if you use an im server please contact me I have never been through this with a dog before.

Black RiverWolf
July 28th, 2004, 01:36 PM
don't freak. if you get nervous it will just adds to her tension. this our thrird ytear with a litter of pups on the way and our last. everyones getting fixed. first look at her nipples are they strating to fill or are they leaking all overthat will give a good indicator of how much time. we have down to where they are just starting to fill we have about two and a half weeks left. pups come when they come. good luck

docdoo
July 28th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Try not to worry yourself over it. For the most part dogs whelp with relatively few problems (unless you are the owner of a Bulldog or other such breed) Let her go and she'll do just fine :D

Yvonne Belisle
July 28th, 2004, 06:41 PM
She is a pitbull terrier. Her nipples leak when you lift them to look at them and have doubled in size from two days ago fullness wise. She keeps going through boughts of panting. We think she lost her mucus plug yesterday while urinating. She is also really clingy right now if I leave the room she tries to follow me but she goes through boughts of not wanting to move from a spot and she is typically panting when she does.

Faeawyn
July 28th, 2004, 06:47 PM
sounds like she could be in labor. Just make her a comfy bed to lay in with old towels or sheets that you don't mind throwing away after. Keep some for fresh bedding after she gives birth. Do dogs eat the placenta?? I know cats do, so don't freak out. I think it's supposed to help them with the birthing process or something.
She may pant and wimper on occasion. She may even yelp. Just stay calm because like they said, she'll sense your nervousness and it'll make her nervous too.

Faeawyn
July 28th, 2004, 06:49 PM
found this here http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_giving_birth_to_puppies.html:

A comfortable area should be set aside for whelping and raising the puppies. The bitch should feel at home here and should be able to come and go as she likes while the puppies must remain confined.

The gestation period of the dog is considered to be 63 days though this is not written in stone and a normal range might be 58-68 days.

IMPENDING LABOR

When your dog's due date is approaching, you should begin monitoring her rectal temperature. When her temperature drops below 100o F (normal canine temperature is 101-102o F), labor may be expected within 24 hours.

THE FIRST STAGE OF LABOR

During this stage, uterine contractions begin. The bitch will appear very restless and may pace, dig, shiver, pant, or even vomit. This is all normal and all an owner can do is see that the bitch has water available should she want it. This stage of labor is very long, lasting 6-12 hours and culminates with full dilation of the cervix in preparation to expel a puppy.

THE SECOND AND THIRD STAGES OF LABOR

The second stage is the "hard labor" stage in which the puppy is expelled. The third stage refers to the expulsion of the placenta and afterbirth. Each pup may not be followed by afterbirth; the mother may pass two pups and then two placentas. This is normal.

Puppies are born covered in membranes which must be cleaned away or the pup will suffocate. The mother will bite and lick the membranes away. Allow her a minute or two after birth to do this; if she does not do it, then you must clean the pup for her. Simply remove the slippery covering and rub the puppy with a clean towel. The umbilical cord may be tied in a knot about one inch from the pup and cut with scissors on the far side of the knot.

Expect one pup every 45-60 minutes with 10-30 minutes of hard straining. It is normal for bitches to "take a rest" partway through delivery and she may not strain at all for up to four hours between pups. If she is seen straining hard for over one hour or if she takes longer than a four hour break, a veterinarian should be consulted.

Expect some puppies (probably half of them) to be born tail first. This is not abnormal for dogs.

CALL YOUR VETERINARIAN IF:

30-60 minutes of strong contractions occur with no puppy being produced.
Greater than four hours pass between pups and you know there are more inside.
She fails to go into labor within 24 hours of her temperature drop.
She is in obvious extreme pain.
Greater than 70 days of gestation have passed.
It is normal for the bitch to spike a fever in the 24-48 hours following birth. This fever should not be accompanied by clinical signs of illness.

Normal vaginal discharge after parturition should be odorless and may be green, dark red-brown or bloody and may persist in small amounts for up to 8 weeks.

PROBLEMS TO WATCH FOR...

METRITIS (INFLAMMATION OF THE UTERUS)

Signs of this condition are as follows:

fever
foul-smelling vaginal discharge
listlessness
loss of appetite
no interest in the puppies
decreased milk production
If these signs are noted, usually in the first day or two postpartum, a veterinarian should be consulted. Your dog may have retained a placenta or have suffered some trauma during delivery. Animals who have required assistance with delivery are often predisposed to metritis.

ECLAMPSIA

This condition results when the bitch has trouble supporting the calcium demand of lactation. Calcium supplementation predisposes a bitch to this condition. Usually affected animals are small dogs. They demonstrate:

nervousness and restlessness
no interest in the pups
stiff, painful gait
This progresses to:

muscle spasms
inability to stand
fever
seizures
This condition generally occurs in the first three weeks of lactation and a veterinarian should be consulted immediately.

MASTITIS (INFLAMMATION OF THE BREASTS)

Normal nursing glands are soft and enlarged. Diseased glands are red, hard, and painful. In general, the bitch does not act sick; the disease is confined to the mammary tissue. The bitch may be sore and discourage the pups from nursing; however, it is important to keep the pups nursing the affected glands. This is not harmful to the puppies and helps flush out the infected material. Hot packing may be helpful.

Most dogs are excellent mothers and problems are few. The basic rule is to seek veterinary care if she seems to feel sick of if she ceases to care for her young. Puppies nurse until they are about six weeks old and then may be fully separated from their mother. A good age for adoption to a new home is 8 weeks or later.

Faeawyn
July 28th, 2004, 06:50 PM
there's more at this site too if you need it
http://wiwi.essortment.com/dogsgivingbirt_pxf.htm

Black RiverWolf
July 28th, 2004, 07:09 PM
that the same kind of dog mine is. and she has like a week to go we are excited

Shanti
July 28th, 2004, 08:55 PM
I have a pit too!!

Dogs do eat the placenta, watch to make sure she expelled one placenta for each pup. My friends didnt pay attention when their dog had pups and 3 days after the birth the dog died from blood piosoning due to infection from one retained placenta.

With a first time mom, just try to be there with her. My Dog (years ago) was a little paniky and stood up to push the pup out. I caught them and she also didnt pay attention to the pups already born, so I had to keep them back when she got ready to push out a new one. She would of stepped on her pups otherwise. Talk to your dog calmly and try to give comfort but dont interfear like trying to force her to lay down.

Good luck with picking an area, my bitch gave birth at 5:30 am at the foot of my bed!!! LOL

Have a vet aware and make sure you can get intouch with him/her asap. Because with big headed dogs, pups can get stuck!

Read all you can on the internet before she has her pups to make sure you are ready to deal with emergancies. Sometimes you do need to help like in a breech birth where that large head gets stuck and the body is hanging out. That happened to me but it all worked out with my exhausted bitch giving one finally major push, and the pup was born but the bitch ripped pretty good and she ended up right at the vet for stitches.

Read and be prepared.

Most often things go great without any partisipation from the human!!!!!

And moms regurgitate food for their pups when they are between 4-6 weeks old!

Yvonne Belisle
July 29th, 2004, 07:39 AM
That is all great information. We think she wants them in our room as she doesnt want to leave me. My hubbie keeps chasing her off the bed he doesn't want her to birth there lol.

Scarlettvixen
July 29th, 2004, 07:54 AM
Yvonne good luck hun!

like any labouring woman she may get irratable to
so she may want u there and then after a while get snappy and not want u touching her

i had a dog when i was a child who squashed 3 of her puppies while she was birthing the last 2
but she had run away and hidden from us...... we had no idea she was in labour when we went to school lol

Yvonne Belisle
July 29th, 2004, 09:59 AM
She just climbed up to sit in my lap!?!?! I think she feels I can make it all be over faster but I can't. Poor pup at least her labor appears to have stopped but she is rooting about in the sheets so who knows.

docdoo
July 31st, 2004, 11:28 AM
How goes it Yvonne? Do you have pups yet?

Yvonne Belisle
July 31st, 2004, 12:05 PM
No pups yet the little stinker just keeps getting bigger. She is curled up behind me and every so often she starts panting like she is in labor then she stops i think she has brackston hicks.

Llewyth
July 31st, 2004, 07:20 PM
Ack! The suspence! Tell us when she has the pups!

Yvonne Belisle
August 1st, 2004, 09:18 AM
She looks like a mini brown cow.

Scarlettvixen
August 7th, 2004, 06:44 AM
any news?

Yvonne Belisle
August 7th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Yes sorry my hubbie posted and I forget he posts so rarely most people don't know who he is lol. She had five little squirming bundles. Nearly killed one but we saved her. When she was cleaning the largest and the third born Hazel nipped the cord too close. We held the pup trying to stop the bleeding and I called a vet. $80 to even look at the pup and $120 in a deposit so I got to thinking. I took a bit of elastic I use to make my daughters barbie doll clothes and tied off the cord it worked. The bleeding stopped and after taking the pup from her when she tried to mess with that a few times she left it alone. The pups are now doing great. We keep having to pull them out of folds in the blanket because she gets to looking for them and cries when she can't find them. they are little explorers already. Four are girls and one boy three medium browns and two light brown with white blazes on their faces. As soon as I can get pics I will post them.

Scarlettvixen
August 7th, 2004, 08:35 AM
:hugz:
thanks for getting back to me

i didnt even think to go looking for a new thread lol

Shanti
August 7th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Congrats...glad it worked out with the one pup!!!!!!:)

Cant wait to see the little fur balls!!!!! :)

Yvonne Belisle
August 7th, 2004, 12:08 PM
How is this for irony I went upstairs to clean my sons room. I was upstairs for two hours when I came downstairs one of the puppies was dead. We have no idea what happened he was with the others but stiff and cold and we have been going without our air conditioner to keep it warmer in here. The room is cool but not cold. :awwman: :wah2: :wah:

OriginalWacky
August 8th, 2004, 07:16 PM
How is this for irony I went upstairs to clean my sons room. I was upstairs for two hours when I came downstairs one of the puppies was dead. We have no idea what happened he was with the others but stiff and cold and we have been going without our air conditioner to keep it warmer in here. The room is cool but not cold. :awwman: :wah2: :wah:
Was it by any chance the one whose cord was nipped too close? There is a chance that she somehow knew there was a problem.

Other than that, all I can offer is my condolences on your loss.

Shanti
August 8th, 2004, 07:19 PM
I am so sorry. ~hugs~

Yvonne Belisle
August 9th, 2004, 07:02 AM
Oddly enough the one who had her cord nipped too close is the largest and healthiest of the lot. All of them are explorers and have been since birth. The one that passed may have been away from the mom too long the night before. Hazel had woken me up and I had to go play find the puppy. He was hiding between two dressers where he could have moved forward or backward but not to the sides. It wasn't too tight I had no problems reaching in and plucking him out but he was cold when I did. I should have tucked her in my top but was half asleep and didn't. She seemed fine before I went upstairs. There is the chance that Hazel sat on her and didn't get up in time.