PDA

View Full Version : What have you been reading lately?

TaylorE
July 28th, 2004, 09:59 PM
What kinds of books do you like to read and what have you been reading lately?

WickedBttrfly
July 28th, 2004, 10:02 PM
HHmmm... lets see. I read about everything. I really like murder mysteries. Right now I am reading Earth, Air, Fire and Water by Scott Cunningham.

DebLipp
August 2nd, 2004, 04:35 PM
I am currently reading Psychic Self Defense by Dion Fortune. I'm on a kick of reading occult classics. But this one is SO WEIRD. Have you read it? I am trying to get how she can even claim to have these experiences, and how credulous she might have been.

But then she gets to the other-worldly entities (non-humans in human form) and in the past I'd have thought that was as whacky as the rest, except that I knew someone JUST LIKE THAT and the psychic information I received was that she was non-human.

Anyway, it is very strange, and, not for nothing, racist as well. I am going to have to re-examine her other books in light of how I am reacting to this one.

TaylorE
August 4th, 2004, 01:15 PM
I've read the Mystical Quabalah by Fortune. Never really got into her. One of my favorite classical authors is William G. Gray. Ever heard of him?

DebLipp
August 4th, 2004, 03:45 PM
I've read the Mystical Quabalah by Fortune. Never really got into her. One of my favorite classical authors is William G. Gray. Ever heard of him?

Gray is in the pile of classical magical texts I borrowed from my ex when I started on this craze. Currently I'm finishing up Psychic Self Defense and starting Magic Without Tears by Crowley (probably a bad idea, but I'm doing it anyway). :D

savannahrose44
August 4th, 2004, 03:48 PM
I read a bit of everything. Right now I'm reading House of Leaves. :crazylaug

Felidae
August 4th, 2004, 03:57 PM
I just finished a few books on Hoodoo so I was ready for some good fiction. At present I'm on a southern authors kick and right now I'm reading Truman Capote's Other Voices, Other Rooms and The Grass Harp.

I've found out that I missed a lot by not reading his work before.

WolfMoon
August 4th, 2004, 10:07 PM
I am actually reading for pure enjoyment lately. I just finished Stephen King's Everything's Eventual and am now moving on to Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes. I pooped out on Bram Stoker's Dracula, the language was driving me nuts. (I found Beowulf an easier read that that, isn't that kinda sad?)

TaylorE
August 7th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Well I'm now reading Jean Auel's Shelter of Stones...and I'm almost finished with The way of the Shaman by Michael Harner. So Deb what books by William Grey do you have? Most contemporary magickians haven't heard of him. I have three his books and always try to promote his ideas and concepts. I'm always told by people who have heard of him, that they're shocked that I know about him, since I'm in my twenties and they find it unusual for someone of my age to have read him. The rest of the books that everyone else is reading sounds fascinating as well.

Aine of the Fae
August 7th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Gray is in the pile of classical magical texts I borrowed from my ex when I started on this craze. Currently I'm finishing up Psychic Self Defense and starting Magic Without Tears by Crowley (probably a bad idea, but I'm doing it anyway). :D

Fortune then Crowley? That should make for some interesting brain food :bug:

DebLipp
August 7th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Here's what's in the dreaded To Be Read pile (what they call on bookcrossing "Mt. TBR"):

Magical Ritual Methods: William Gray
Creative Visualization: Shakti Gawain
Essential Reiki: Diane Stein
Modern Magick: Donald Michael Kraig

plus a book by Nevill Drury and a book on lucid dreaming. As you can see, I'm trying to catch up on classics that I missed. It's like being a movie fan and never seeing Casablanca. Somehow, classics slip past. (I've seen Casablanca, but I've still never seen Sunset Boulevard. Shame on me.)

DebLipp
August 7th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Well I'm now reading Jean Auel's Shelter of Stones...and I'm almost finished with The way of the Shaman by Michael Harner. So Deb what books by William Grey do you have? Most contemporary magickians haven't heard of him. I have three his books and always try to promote his ideas and concepts. I'm always told by people who have heard of him, that they're shocked that I know about him, since I'm in my twenties and they find it unusual for someone of my age to have read him. The rest of the books that everyone else is reading sounds fascinating as well.

As I said above, Magical Ritual Methods. I was trained in 'old school' Wicca; I spend very little time with anything occult written post-1980 (except my own stuff! :D ).

Do you like the Jean Auel? I thought each of her books was just a bit worse than the one before; the first was great but the fourth I hated. So I didn't pick up the fifth. How is it?

TaylorE
August 7th, 2004, 08:26 PM
So far I've enjoyed the book. But what didn't you like about the other books. I'll admit book four was my least favorite. I have Magic Ritual Methods by Gray. An excellent book...my favorite actually of his. I also have Ladders of Light (a really good guide to the Sephiroth) and Inner Traditions of Magic, another excellent book of his. Whenever I find his works I always try to get a copy. He's direct and to the point, something I'd like to see in more books written today and his writing can apply to both beginner and more adept practitioners.

TaylorE
March 17th, 2005, 02:55 AM
My latest reading is
Hands of Light by Barbara Ann Brennan
The Field by Lynne McTaggart

and lots of academic books for my qualifying exams.

I recently finishedThe Alchemist's Handbook by Frater Albertus
and the Pyschic Self-Defense Manual by Marcia Pickands

Earthy
March 17th, 2005, 04:18 PM
At the moment:

Chase by Dean Koontz
The Witches Shield by Christopher Penczak

Morgandria
March 17th, 2005, 07:36 PM
I'm re-reading my Michael Moorcock books, since I picked up copies of the books I lost in a flood last summer. I also took the time to read Rhiannon Ryall's West Country Wicca a couple weeks ago.

-M.