PDA

View Full Version : Pain Killer for cats

KaimelarFeylove
July 30th, 2004, 09:46 PM
I'm putting this in a new post so it doesnt get buried at teh bottom of the one about tamis' surgery. I know better than to give her Tylonol or asprin, but what can i give Tamis for her pain from the spay? herbal or otherwise....

Fyre_Nymph
July 30th, 2004, 09:48 PM
i have no clue,but good lock

Antoninus
July 31st, 2004, 01:47 AM
A little catnip may help. Catnip acts much the same way to cats that weed does to humans so it might help.

Ahautenites
July 31st, 2004, 08:23 AM
Half of one children's aspirin tablet.

Llewyth
July 31st, 2004, 09:56 AM
Never Tylenol! If you wanna see a cat die in a nasty way: that's the way to do it!

Like NeferSesemet said: half a kiddie Aspirin. Once every 2 days... No catnip 'till she' better!

Shanti
July 31st, 2004, 10:10 AM
If she was just spayed why not just ask the vet?

Antoninus
July 31st, 2004, 12:44 PM
If she was just spayed why not just ask the vet?
.........or you could do that :D

Maurigan
July 31st, 2004, 03:34 PM
Half of one children's aspirin tablet.

Never give a cat aspirin, it is toxic to cats.

there is really nothing you can give without a vets prescription, but cats have a very effecient system for dealing with pain, their brain produces painkillers when it's needed and they will sleep until they feel better.

their natural painkiller is much more effective than the human ones. they also recover very fast from neutering unless there are complication, which is rare.

just give her lots of TLC. ;)

Ahautenites
August 1st, 2004, 01:13 PM
**shrugs at Maurigan** I'm only reiterating what our family vet always told us. And as my oldest cat is turning 17 this year and he's just fine, I'd say I trust my vet's advice.

There's a whopping big difference between a regular aspirin and a kiddie aspirin. (Although, as your location says South Africa, I believe that country's official pharmaceutical standards are a bit different from those in the U.S.A.) Kiddie aspirin is something you could give an infant. Half of that (no more and no less over the course of two days, as Llewyth clarified) will not harm a cat. (Not sure I'd give that amount to a kitten, mind. I'd probably give it only a quarter.) But I do agree: asking the vet who performed the procedure would be the best bet.

Erebus
August 1st, 2004, 01:29 PM
Pain Killer for cats

Rubber mallet to the head works wonders. May cause drowsiness, though, so don't let Mr. Kitty operate any heavy machinery.

Antoninus
August 1st, 2004, 01:31 PM
Rubber mallet to the head works wonders. May cause drowsiness, though, so don't let Mr. Kitty operate any heavy machinery.
Kitty may not LIKE you so much after that but I suppose that could work :hehehehe:

Llewyth
August 1st, 2004, 09:12 PM
Half a kiddie aspirin is what my vet told me to give my kitties after they got the big operation. He also explained that it was acetaminophen (Tylenol) that was bad for animals.

Maurigan
August 2nd, 2004, 02:58 PM
**shrugs at Maurigan** I'm only reiterating what our family vet always told us. And as my oldest cat is turning 17 this year and he's just fine, I'd say I trust my vet's advice.

There's a whopping big difference between a regular aspirin and a kiddie aspirin. (Although, as your location says South Africa, I believe that country's official pharmaceutical standards are a bit different from those in the U.S.A.) Kiddie aspirin is something you could give an infant. Half of that (no more and no less over the course of two days, as Llewyth clarified) will not harm a cat. (Not sure I'd give that amount to a kitten, mind. I'd probably give it only a quarter.) But I do agree: asking the vet who performed the procedure would be the best bet.

I wasn't criticising you Nefersesemet, I was only repeating what I was told by vets in the UK (I have only lived in South Africa for about two years) I used to work with animal rescue organizations, mainly the Cats Protection, and out vets were adamant about aspirin being toxic.:)

Gebo
August 2nd, 2004, 03:04 PM
Also a suggestion...childrens benadryl. It really is better to use something from the vet, but benadryl is safe for dogs and cats. Cats can be difficult to get dosing correct, however. If you decide to try it and need help with the dosing-just holler. I would also like to agree with Maurigan; kitty isn't hurting as badly as you think.

chet
August 6th, 2004, 06:39 PM
heroin works great on all critters, costly, tho....g'luck

SS'sBaby
August 6th, 2004, 07:30 PM
*jumps in to agree with a good many of you*
Honestly....cats can have asprin in small amounts. Half of a Baby Aspirin sounds about right. Now you are not supposed to give them more than that in a day's time is my understanding. And never for longer than 3 days at a time. My persian tortie is 16 and going strong....so I'm just responding with what I have been told by my vet and what I have read.

Benedryl is also good in half doses....like 10 to 15 mg. And Dramamine(the regular kind that makes you drowsy)in a half dose is also good as well.

Did the Vet not give them an extra pain shot afterwards? :ugh:

flar7
August 7th, 2004, 01:33 AM
nothing, he/she/it will be fine in a few days. Best to err on the side of caution with medication and cats. When our last Tom was spayed Freyja's vet gave it a shot for pain, and IMO did the poor cat no favors. The mental stress that pain relief causes them sometimes is worse than the owie. Pets are very resistant to pain.

Faery-Wings
August 7th, 2004, 07:52 AM
The other thing to keep in mind is that sometimes the pain naturally keeps the animal a bit quieter so s/he doesn't overdo it and tear out stitches.

And no essentaial oils for cats either- their livers can't metabolize the chemicals in them.

OT: Most peds nowadays do not recomned any aspirin at all for kids under 16 (I believe) due to a serious condition called Reye's syndrome that can occur with giving aspirin with the flu and other viruses. So when in doubt, ask your dr or pharmacist.
:)

And hugs to your kitty!!

Semele
August 8th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Pets are very resistant to pain.
They used to say the same thing about babies!:fpatricks

flar7
August 8th, 2004, 06:52 PM
well, pets have a higher threshold for pain then, perhaps that sounds better? A baby on the other hand, it will let you know more over time the amount of pain its in.

as someone who deals constantly with pain, I use pain meds, but wish I had never started on them.... pain can be.......not ignored, but if its always there, you get used to it.