PDA

View Full Version : Parents, coudja help me out?

Phi
July 31st, 2004, 07:31 PM
Hi !
I am working on a children's book, writing and illustrating it. It started as a project just for my grandchildren, but people keep saying I should try to publish it.

So this leads me to ask to those of you who have children just about 5-8, how long of a book would your child listen to if you were reading it to them? would you ever read a few pages a night as a bedtime story? Do you think a story about a little dog who can't find anyone to play with would be a good theme?

In the story he thinks birds and squirrels, who won't come down to play, throw acorns on his head in the fall when the wind blows, and sleet on his head when it sleets. He finds out about the weather, and that he has misjudged the other animals after he saves a squirrel knocked down when a tree branch falls from the neihbor kitty.

It's the kind of story I used to like, but I know kids are more sophisticated nowadays. Do you think it is still a good and classic story line?

A few pages with illustrations are in the Arts & Crafts forum not in order, but you get the idea of how the book would look. Thumbnails are posts #1, #3, and especially #6 here:
Some of my stuff (http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=60381)

Please be honest. And tell me if you think it's something your child would like or not.
If you are willing, ask your child to look and judge for himself/herself.

I will finish the book anyway, but whether to try to publish or just to desktop publish for my own grands is my question.

Shanti
July 31st, 2004, 10:43 PM
It sounds great to me. Length of books dont seem to matter with my kids if it interest them. Animal stories I think, are the best that kids like hearing and reading.
Your story's basic theme sounds great!!!!!!!!!
Before you send in a manuscript, though, get your book its copyright!! You can and should copyright it before its submitted to a publisher!!

PAGANFILES
August 1st, 2004, 02:07 AM
Phi,

If you want it published make sure you check it for grade level. Most of the better word processors will do this for you. The 5-8 group can be hard to please because as there is a tremendous leap in world knowledge and ability to read in those 3 years. I've also found that publishers seek fewer words--500 is usually tops--for the 4-6 children with lots of pictures.

Best of luck
Terry

Mysticism Deity
August 1st, 2004, 11:38 AM
That is really awesome you're doing that!! I am also writing a childrens book :):):)

Good luck and hope everything works out :) The theme is great.

I agree with what shanti and paganfiles said!

oh and ev

Temair
August 1st, 2004, 09:37 PM
I have a 5yo and an 8yo. They like everything from picture books to chapter books, where each chapter is 3-5 pages long with an illustration or two. We just finished reading _The Littles_ and we read it 2-3 chapters a night before bed, which worked out to about a dozen pages each night. They are still interested in picture books, but they also enjoy the Great Illustrated Classics. My 5yo especially likes _The Wizard of Oz_.

So, yeah, go for it. Good luck.

Phi
August 1st, 2004, 11:24 PM
I have a 5yo and an 8yo. They like everything from picture books to chapter books, where each chapter is 3-5 pages long with an illustration or two. We just finished reading _The Littles_ and we read it 2-3 chapters a night before bed, which worked out to about a dozen pages each night. They are still interested in picture books, but they also enjoy the Great Illustrated Classics. My 5yo especially likes _The Wizard of Oz_.

So, yeah, go for it. Good luck.Thanks for responding, and please look at the pages I posted in the Arts &Crafts thread. Maybe your kids would take a look too? There are words on the illustrated pages.
I really conceived it as a book to read aloud to a child, but since it has easy to recall rhyming words for the animal-speak, I thought it might encourage my grandson to read along too.
I would appreciate any coments your children might make.

Phi
August 1st, 2004, 11:27 PM
Phi,

If you want it published make sure you check it for grade level. Most of the better word processors will do this for you. The 5-8 group can be hard to please because as there is a tremendous leap in world knowledge and ability to read in those 3 years. I've also found that publishers seek fewer words--500 is usually tops--for the 4-6 children with lots of pictures.

Best of luck
Terry

Thanks for the tip, PF! I haven't even counted words. Lots of illustration is my thing. I like books that have enough illustration on each page to keep a small child occupied long enough to get the words read before they insist on turning the page.:T

Phi
August 1st, 2004, 11:29 PM
That is really awesome you're doing that!! I am also writing a childrens book :):):)

Good luck and hope everything works out :) The theme is great.

I agree with what shanti and paganfiles said!

oh and ev
Thanks, and good luck with your book too!

Phi
August 1st, 2004, 11:32 PM
It sounds great to me. Length of books dont seem to matter with my kids if it interest them. Animal stories I think, are the best that kids like hearing and reading.
Your story's basic theme sounds great!!!!!!!!!
Before you send in a manuscript, though, get your book its copyright!! You can and should copyright it before its submitted to a publisher!!Thanks Shanti, maybe your kids could look over the few pages I put on the other thread and check it out for me? See how they like the layout and all?

The children's opinions are what matter most to me, of course the parents do the buying, and the publishers have to believe it will sell first of all. I'm trying to get as many kid reviews as I can!8O