PDA

View Full Version : This is not the Personal Attack Forum!

Dellit Tandannon
August 15th, 2001, 03:07 PM
recently, there have been a few instances in here of personal attacks. this forum is for political discussion, hence the name of the forum, the Political Pagan. this forum is not here for people to be labeled, belittled, or denied. i understand that people will always have differing opinions, but this has got to stop. if you feel you must tell this person how wrong they are or if you can't help but label them, there are other ways to contact this person.
i do not want to see this in here again.

thank you.

bluecat
August 15th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Thank You ... I have been observing, but I keep my nose out of other folks forums.

Blue

Mairwen
August 16th, 2001, 06:30 PM
*amen*

Kaylara
August 16th, 2001, 08:32 PM
Thank you sweetie.

Kaylara

Lucidia
August 17th, 2001, 08:40 AM
good point kiddo *hugs*

suprised i didn't mention it sooner myself, but now you've saved me the trouble.

come on people.. remember.. like... no bringing deliberate harm upon other people, if you think their actions and opinions are THAT detestable, that it causes you anger and fustration, then maybe you should consider holding your tongue rather than starting another fire.

i know that sometimes it's hard when people dont' view things the way that you do. Personally, my views on life cause problems all the time. But i'm in no position to attack someone else for believing differently.

i think we all need another big hug!

Wyrdsister
August 17th, 2001, 11:47 AM
Here, here! Well said, Delit. :)

And I agree with Lucidia: HUGS ALL AROUND!!!

Wyrdsister

Tarot Collector
August 18th, 2001, 08:40 AM
Very very very well said.

bloodstone20
August 18th, 2001, 12:06 PM
I've seen lots of ppl attacked here, and ppl wish harm on others(mysef included, silly me). I agree. Very well said.

Kaylara
August 20th, 2001, 09:42 PM
*Moderator Mode*

Now, after watching this forum run it's course for a while, and realising that things are not going to get better, I have decided that some steps need to be taken.

1.) NO personal attacks will be tolerated. Period. If I see one, I will edit or delete the post that contains it.

2.) If you do not like a persons opinion, that does not give you the right to attack them. See above.

3.) If you have a problem with a moderators decision to edit a thread in this forum, then contact them directly via pm or e-mail, or contact me.

4.) Do not bring personal grudges into this forum.

This has been coming for a while, and it really saddens me that I have to write this. We moderators have been pretty lenient to date with this forum. Unfortunately, it has been shown to us that we cannot continue this way.

*End Moderator Mode*

Kaylara

bloodstone20
August 20th, 2001, 09:56 PM
maybe you should stick this at the top?

Kaylara
August 20th, 2001, 10:08 PM
Ummm, it is stuck hon.

Kaylara

Illuminatus
August 20th, 2001, 10:38 PM
Actually,

We should have a personal attack forum!

You know, just to get that sort of thing out of our system!

It's a perfect idea, because if you don't want to participate, you just don't read it. But if you DO read it, you must be there to attack somebody, so it's all fair game! God, I'm brilliant. Make it so, my moderators! Off with ye, create this board! Fly my pretties, fly!

Kaylara
August 20th, 2001, 10:40 PM
LMAO... No, that's not going to happen.

Kaylara

Dellit Tandannon
August 20th, 2001, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by Kaylara
*Moderator Mode*

Now, after watching this forum run it's course for a while, and realising that things are not going to get better, I have decided that some steps need to be taken.

1.) NO personal attacks will be tolerated. Period. If I see one, I will edit or delete the post that contains it.

2.) If you do not like a persons opinion, that does not give you the right to attack them. See above.

3.) If you have a problem with a moderators decision to edit a thread in this forum, then contact them directly via pm or e-mail, or contact me.

4.) Do not bring personal grudges into this forum.

This has been coming for a while, and it really saddens me that I have to write this. We moderators have been pretty lenient to date with this forum. Unfortunately, it has been shown to us that we cannot continue this way.

*End Moderator Mode*

Kaylara

I would just like to say that I whole-heartedly agree with all of these terms. In fact, Kay and I devised them together earlier tonight. I would also like to say that, although this is a rather pressing issue, this is not my main focus in this forum. Many interesting and provacative discussions take place here and I absolutely love that. I understand that people have their difference, but I am really upset that a few people can not set them aside. Please note that I am not accusing everyone of personal attacks. I enjoy taking with everyone here, however, I am not adverse to dealing punishment to those who violate my and all of the other staff members' trust and understanding. If you cannot be civil, there is no place for you here.

With a saddened heart,
Dellit

SimplyStrange
August 21st, 2001, 02:22 AM
I think we all need...

HUGS!

Hugs to Dellit, hugs to Kaylara, hugs to Lucidia, hugs to Bluecat, hugs to Illuminatus, hugs to Tarot Collector, hugs to Wyrdsister, hugs to Mairwen, hugs to bloodstone! If you posted here and I missed you, I'm sorry :) Hugs to everyone who didn't post!

Hell, hugs to all!

bloodstone20
August 21st, 2001, 09:39 PM
can i have another one?

OOPS, OT.
Remeber kids, attacks are bad.

ladyrowan
August 22nd, 2001, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Lucidia
come on people.. remember.. like... no bringing deliberate harm upon other people, if you think their actions and opinions are THAT detestable, that it causes you anger and fustration, then maybe you should consider holding your tongue rather than starting another fire.

i know that sometimes it's hard when people dont' view things the way that you do. Personally, my views on life cause problems all the time. But i'm in no position to attack someone else for believing differently.

Well said Lucidia, I'd agree with you 99% of the time about 'holding your tongue'

But sometimes when you are being consistently attacked, having your opinions, feelings and faith ridiculed, when everything you say is picked on, twisted and turned into something you didn't say or mean, by someone who finds it highly amusing to put other people down, it's almost impossible to hold your tongue.

It has taken me many, many years to learn how to stand up for myself, my opinions and my beliefs, and now I cannot just sit back and take it while someone persists in attacking me. And nor should I have to.

I think it is very sad when people take such obvious delight in putting other people down at every opportunity, yet take great offence if anyone dares to say the slightest thing against them.

Most of the time this is wonderful family to be a part of, with truly lovely people, but sometimes the change in atmosphere is almost tangible. Is the only answer for the rest of us to log off at these times? I think not, why should they spoil it for the rest of us, and in any case the offending posts will still be there next time we're here. And surely thats not what we're about anyway.

BB.

BB

bloodstone20
August 22nd, 2001, 01:58 PM
i agree.

slvr_phoenix
August 22nd, 2001, 02:05 PM
I agree, there should be no personal attacks.

Granted, sometimes it happens, and in that case a little slap on the wrist should occur. We all make mistakes after all. No need to hang anyone for a single mistake. :)

However, I'm also not seeing all of these personal attacks that are being talked about. I've seen a few, but not nearly enough to warrant all of this hype.

Making observations about someone's actions, but not about the person themself is NOT a personal attack. Stating beliefs and opinions (so long as it's clear that those are your beliefs and opinions, and not the way the whole world is) AREN'T personal attacks. Offering CONSTRUCTIVE criticism ISN'T a personal attack. And there is a HUGE difference between saying something that can be TAKEN as offensive and saying something that IS offensive. (If you don't believe me on that one or understand the difference, I'll hunt up my old farmer/cow example.)

So I think more important than saying, "No personal attacks", would be holding a course on just what is and isn't a personal attack and how we can judge someone's ACTIONS without judging the PERSON. And how we can debate our OPINION of the value of a person's IDEAS without putting down the PERSON.

If anyone has any problems understanding these ideas, I can always offer lecture. He he he. :)

P.S. Sorry for all of the CAPS folks. It's not intended as yelling, just as italicising to stress key words. Only at the moment I'm drawing a blank as to how to italicise. (I miss HTML.)

Myst
August 22nd, 2001, 02:06 PM
I see a problem often in here where someone is convinced they are being personally attacked because someone disagrees with them. And in response, that person personally attacks the person that disagrees. This is NOT appropriate for any reason. If you feel you are being personally attacked speak to the person in private and tell them why you are upset, or PM a Moderator and ask them to speak to the person. 9 times out of 10 people let their personal feelings get in the way of a discussion, and feel personally attacked because someone disagreed. Replying with a personal attack not only puts the thread off topic but only perpetuates the problem. I would think that we're all mature enough to see the difference and behave appropriately. I would also think we're all mature enough to understand that we all think differently and this is a good thing, not a reason to personally attack people!!

Swanspirit
August 22nd, 2001, 02:26 PM
Merry Merry ,
A MESSAGE BOARD on the internet!!! It isnt real life, or even an approximation. if someone interprets something that I said as an "Attack" (and my personal opinion is that word "attack" is harsh for this means of communication) after all its not an RPG then guess what ?? DELETE IT for GAWDESSAKE because its a message board and if someone here doesnt like it or misinterprets it the SO WHAT?? LOL. It isnt the same thing as climbing into bed with someone ROFLMAO .....they dont know what I really meant it is their interpretation....
I realise that flame wars are not welcome .... but when differing opinions are interpreted as attacks ; what is the big deal ?? Find another more creative way of expressing your opinion .... we ALL might learn something LOL
Love and Laughter
Swannie

Mairwen
August 22nd, 2001, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by ladyrowan
I think it is very sad when people take such obvious delight in putting other people down at every opportunity, yet take great offence if anyone dares to say the slightest thing against them.

It is very sad, but you know what? People like that, for the most part, have horrible self-esteem problems, whether they'll admit to it or not. They're not happy and feeling "powerful" unless they can make someone else miserable.

Daniel
August 25th, 2001, 06:42 AM
Let's go further than creating a personal attack forum, where people are free to flame. Let's hold insult contests. I'm fairly certain that this considered serious competition in at least one of our world's cultures.

Celebrate diversity!

As an aside, if I personally attack myself, will my post be edited or deleted?

EasternPriest
August 25th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Daniel
Let's go further than creating a personal attack forum, where people are free to flame. Let's hold insult contests. I'm fairly certain that this considered serious competition in at least one of our world's cultures.

Celebrate diversity!

As an aside, if I personally attack myself, will my post be edited or deleted?

Just read the community rules you agreed to when you joined.

EasternPriest
August 25th, 2001, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Swanspirit
Merry Merry ,
A MESSAGE BOARD on the internet!!! It isnt real life, or even an approximation. if someone interprets something that I said as an "Attack" (and my personal opinion is that word "attack" is harsh for this means of communication) after all its not an RPG then guess what ?? DELETE IT for GAWDESSAKE because its a message board and if someone here doesnt like it or misinterprets it the SO WHAT?? LOL. It isnt the same thing as climbing into bed with someone ROFLMAO .....they dont know what I really meant it is their interpretation....
I realise that flame wars are not welcome .... but when differing opinions are interpreted as attacks ; what is the big deal ?? Find another more creative way of expressing your opinion .... we ALL might learn something LOL
Love and Laughter
Swannie

Just read the community rules......

Daniel
August 25th, 2001, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by EasternPriest

Just read the community rules you agreed to when you joined. Well, Rule #2 is seems to be the only one that applies to personal attacks, and it specifically instructs each and every member not to bash other members. As such, it would seem that it is 'legal' for me to bash myself.

Therefore, as someone who is not in a position of authority here, and thusly completely incapable of instituting new rules, I hereby decree that any personal attack should be edited by a moderator in such a way that it is reworded as a personal attack on the attacker. In this way, repeat offenders will become so utterly humiliated that they stop altogether.

Observe!

Daniel is a total buffoon.

Wow, that was fast.

SageMoon
August 25th, 2001, 11:58 PM
You all are so very right. That is whats wrong with todays society everyone thinks they are right. If we all thought the same this world would be a dull place . We need to except different views and sometimes we may see that maybe the other person is more right about a subject then you . That's why we have that word DIVERSITY. It's a fact of life.
;) So Mote It Be,
Sage Moon:heartthro :heartthro

kittiepoetrygod
September 27th, 2001, 06:13 PM
This is also not the forum for two people ... you all know whom i'm referring too .... to constantly bicker and cause threads to be deleted.

Danustouch
September 27th, 2001, 06:28 PM
hmmmmmm...kitty...i've NO clue what you are talking about, or should I say, whom.

kittiepoetrygod
September 27th, 2001, 08:14 PM
thats a good thing then ... but they are there and always have to belittle the others posts ...

Illuminatus
September 28th, 2001, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by kittiepoetrygod
thats a good thing then ... but they are there and always have to belittle the others posts ...

It's not MY fault!

The posts cry out "Please, belittle me!"

Not to do so is... well, it's like denying their purpose. I hear their cries "we're full of misinformation and conjecture, please, enlighten us lumie!" and I must answer them!

It's my path!

kittiepoetrygod
October 6th, 2001, 07:02 PM
I never said I was talking to you ... but if I was and you recognised the referance, don't you think that something is going wrong?

Illuminatus
October 9th, 2001, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by kittiepoetrygod
I never said I was talking to you ... but if I was and you recognised the referance, don't you think that something is going wrong?

Everyone knew who you were talking to :) denial's a great virtue, but I don't posess it!

Why would it mean something's wrong? Read what I wrote two posts up. I hate repeating myself.

- Ill

Laiste
October 15th, 2001, 02:23 PM
Well since this was originally posted...IMHO things have not gotten much better around here. People have nothing better to do than harrass other people and pick apart every little thing they say in their posts. I don't expect everyone to agree with everything said by another, but, some common consideration for anothers thoughts and opinions would be nice. I guess that is just too much to ask for! Iv'e seen people go as far as to pick apart someones spelling and grammar. It's quite ridiculous. Then their are others who are obviously so sensitive they rip into you because you posted a differing opinion than theirs. I have been accused of bashing someone and I really don't understand why. I feel bad that someone out there thinks that I'm jsut like the "others" I'm not, I am a nice person and I certainly don't go around the board tearing others opinions up just because mine is different. I try to just simply state my position on the matter being discussed and will defend myself when needed! What is wrong with that?

Swanspirit
October 15th, 2001, 02:33 PM
COMPETANT VS COMPETENT ........ it was intended as ASCERBIC HUMOR.............. not as a spelling or grammar lesson........
but it wasnt taken as such LOL ........ cheeeeshhhhhh

Sorry if you were offended......... mayabe I shoud have said YOU PEOPLE AWWTA LERN HOW TA SPIEL....... BEFER YA GO ASKIN ......
sorrry coudnt resist .......
Love and lets lighten up
Swannie

Laiste
October 15th, 2001, 02:50 PM
:eek: Wasn't refering to you Swannie!!:D

Swanspirit
October 16th, 2001, 12:39 AM
hecky darn .. will just have to TRY harder ........ keep those cards and letters coming folks........
hehehehe
Love and HUGS
Swannie

Laiste
October 16th, 2001, 01:53 PM
:p :D