PDA

View Full Version : HELP! DSL, LAN, and all those good annoying things. . .

Sequoia
August 16th, 2001, 05:09 AM
I recently (after spending about 3 days worth of time on the phone with tech support) got my dad's DSL working. . . now he's canceling my dial-up account (this has me a bit peeved :mad: :( ), but he wants me to try to find a way to hook my computer into his DSL or something. . .

So here's my question.

Is there any way I can use his DSL access? I don't have a LAN card (so far as I know), and the two computers will be on the same phone line, but I don't have a DSL modem. The computers are in two different rooms. There is no way I can give up mine to use his (plus his sucks -_-; he got it in a DSL promotion. . . his old computer that he traded in was a LOT better. . . like he knew, but did he ask me? :bad: )

I've been told that if you have one computer on a DSL phone line, you can use a LAN card to access the dsl. . . is this so? :confused:

ANY ideas as to how I could keep internet access would be EXTREMELY appreciated.

Thanks a lot, guys. . . I REALLY want to be able to go online! Using my dad's compie isn't a very good option.

And if you have any knowlage of how much your ideas would cost, please list it too. -_-; my dad's cancelling my phone line and ISP to save money, so the less expensive, the better. :bad:

Lucidia
August 16th, 2001, 08:59 AM
as far as i know...

you need to get a network hub... and network your computers together....

i've done similar.. before... like.. with a laptop, and you stick in this little ethernet card and hook up the card to whatever computer has the connection...

i don't know about costs... *frowns*...

i work for a network consulting company... but unfortunately i don't do any of the DSL and network stuff... i'm just the designer.... sorry if i haven't been much help...

Sequoia
August 16th, 2001, 09:05 AM
no, thanks for your help! :)

at least, now I know it's possible. . . :rolleyes: my dad just annoys me at times hehe but I love 'im.

mol
August 16th, 2001, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Puma Hime
no, thanks for your help! :)

at least, now I know it's possible. . . :rolleyes: my dad just annoys me at times hehe but I love 'im.

This is VERY easy to do with a network card and a hub and router. How much is your dad willing to spend? ;)

Myst
August 16th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Actually it's very easy to do with two network cards, and a hub, and two cables.

Or just two network cards and one crossover cable.

One network card per computer. You get someone to help you install them, then run a cable from one computer to the hub, then the other cable from the other computer to the hub, or you use a special cable called a crossover cable and you just run it from one computer to the other (no hub)..... You can get a kit with hub and cables for about $50-100 and network cards for $50 or less... Do you have a friend there who can help you out?

mol
August 16th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Willow Raven
Actually it's very easy to do with two network cards, and a hub, and two cables.

Or just two network cards and one crossover cable.

One network card per computer. You get someone to help you install them, then run a cable from one computer to the hub, then the other cable from the other computer to the hub, or you use a special cable called a crossover cable and you just run it from one computer to the other (no hub)..... You can get a kit with hub and cables for about $50-100 and network cards for $50 or less... Do you have a friend there who can help you out?

This is true..with a crossover cable you can actually set up ICS (Internet COnnection Sharing) correct ?

evilslinkycat
August 16th, 2001, 07:40 PM
OK I have 3 systems on our inhouse network and they are connected to a hub( with cross over cables you don't need it) If there are more the 2 computers you can't use cross over.
I also run DSL. The first thing to do is get the system s up and runing on the network, you need a card in each system, you can get one for around $20.00 ir so. If you run win98 setting up a network is not hard to do.

I have found if you run the Internet connection sharing in windows, it will not work with DSK, and will crash the system:rolleyes: imagin that LOL
I had to get a copy of Winproxy and set that up on the systems It can be a bit of a pain but, it doesn't really slow anything down.

Myst
August 16th, 2001, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by mol

This is true..with a crossover cable you can actually set up ICS (Internet COnnection Sharing) correct ?

You can use it in just the same way as you use a hub and regular cables. I'm not sure on the price tho - whether this is financially easier then buying a hub and two cables, I am unsure. To me the one cable would be easier though - you don't have to worry about where the hub is, if it's plugged in, and if it's working.

Yup it's good for only two computers, but that's the setup Puma has. Not likely that'll change for her home but if it does yes she will then need a hub.

We had Internet Connection Sharing working before, if it doesn't work there's stuff like Winproxy or even easier Sygate to use. These prog's will do the same thing as Windows ICS will.

Sequoia
August 17th, 2001, 03:20 AM
*reads page*

. . . *blinks*

. . . *sweat drop*

. . . *reads page again*

. . . 8O I have no CLUE what you guys are talking about. . .

I don't think dad's willing to spend over $100. . .

thank you all for your help!