PDA

View Full Version : The Obsidian Mirror

ObsidianShenKa
August 7th, 2004, 04:45 PM
Shameless self-promotion time.

The Obsidian Mirror, conceived on 03/28/03, in its second incarnation: http://obsidianmirror.cjb.net

I'd like to hear your thoughts, suggestions, comments.

Yes, some of my opinions have changed since I first started the Mirror, and if you read all the essays in order, you shall see the gradual shift. You people who think I'm explosive NOW ... :lol:

And no, I will not tone my language down :hairraise

Cheers,
Obsidian

Aine of the Fae
August 7th, 2004, 04:47 PM
I've read it all before :D Can't say I agree with it all, but I do like your brutal honesty! Overall I really do like it.

Morr
August 7th, 2004, 04:55 PM
3/28 is my birthday!!!!!!!!!

Pan
August 7th, 2004, 04:56 PM
I've only just started reading your first essay and I really like it so far. Very blunt and to-the-point.

I admire you for that.

morrigen
August 7th, 2004, 05:01 PM
I've started reading, and will let you know what I think when I'm done :D

ObsidianShenKa
August 7th, 2004, 05:15 PM
w00t ^__^

Pan
August 7th, 2004, 05:25 PM
:woot:

Yea, verily!

Sommerfugl
August 8th, 2004, 01:42 AM
I've just read a few of the essays, I think it's brilliant. You're like a religious Maddox with a more intellectual twist. (I assume you know who Maddox is....)

Jeleia
August 8th, 2004, 02:09 AM
love it :)

IvyWitch
August 8th, 2004, 08:52 AM
I hate your site! You're an opinionated angry jerk and you curse too much!

Yeah, ok I don't lie well, do I? lol

You already know I love your site. I just wish I had an essay to add like I promised I would.

Seren_
August 8th, 2004, 09:50 AM
You must have balls the size of new Mexico....

And I mean that as a compliment. :D

indigo rain
August 8th, 2004, 12:05 PM
love sites like yours, thanks for the good reading material :)

Calyx
August 8th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Gee, I am so glad that I have finally met someone who is so experienced in all aspects of life and paganism they can tell everyone else why they are wrong, stupid, fluffy, or just apparently plain old deserve to die for being such a moron. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I'll be visiting that site frequently. Or not. :wtf:

ObsidianShenKa
August 8th, 2004, 07:43 PM
1. I'm honoured to be compared to Maddox.
2. That may be one of the most assholish things I've ever said.
3. Come here, Ivy, so I can dryhump your shoulder blade.
4. Get a-writin'.

ObsidianShenKa
August 8th, 2004, 07:45 PM
Gee, I am so glad that I have finally met someone who is so experienced in all aspects of life and paganism they can tell everyone else why they are wrong, stupid, fluffy, or just apparently plain old deserve to die for being such a moron. :rolleyes:

I'm sure I'll be visiting that site frequently. Or not. :wtf:
Calyx,

There is a prerequisite to using sarcasm, and that is to have a quick enough wit to actually use it properly.

Thank you for your comment, although you didn't really say anything, nor did you even deliver it well.

I look forward to your future posts; I hope you learn the art of wit.

Cheers,
Obsidian

IvyWitch
August 8th, 2004, 08:29 PM
1. I'm honoured to be compared to Maddox.
2. That may be one of the most assholish things I've ever said.
3. Come here, Ivy, so I can dryhump your shoulder blade.
4. Get a-writin'.

Why do you want my shoulder blade? 0.o

IvyWitch
August 8th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Calyx,

There is a prerequisite to using sarcasm, and that is to have a quick enough wit to actually use it properly.

Thank you for your comment, although you didn't really say anything, nor did you even deliver it well.

I look forward to your future posts; I hope you learn the art of wit.

Cheers,
Obsidian

Oh come on, she's not one of your worse critics and as we know there are always going to be people out there who won't like someone's opinion if it in any way shape or form says something bad about them. *shrug* Just think of how many people hate "Why Wiccans Suck"

Besides, opinions are like a**holes, everyone has them.

charmedkisses1
August 8th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Yay. I dont agree with EVERYTHING. But yay

P.S. It reminds me of whywiccasucks.com

P.P.S I tried to get a quote to put in my sig and it called me a -------. :whistle:

:broomride

Fideal
August 8th, 2004, 08:36 PM
I love this site, and it really does remind me of Maddox, but less crude. It shows that there is indeed hope for the pagan community.

charmedkisses1
August 8th, 2004, 08:41 PM
I'll act like one of those stupid movie critics ....

It's one of those sites you always wanted to make, but you didn't have the money, time, or balls. 4 Stars!

:woot:

Imbrium
August 8th, 2004, 08:49 PM
I like it. Blunt and intelligent. If only politicians were that direct.

However, for the sake of your comfort, I sincerely hope that Seren is wrong about the size of your testicles.

charmedkisses1
August 8th, 2004, 08:54 PM
I like it. Blunt and intelligent. If only politicians were that direct.

However, for the sake of your comfort, I sincerely hope that Seren is wrong about the size of your testicles.
:rollingla

Khuinaset
August 8th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Have you ever talked to Sean of www.wiccan-refuge.com (http://www.wiccan-refuge.com/)? you kind of remind me of him...or what I see of him from his posts on Kiwibox...although you strike me as a little nicer, or less...something. that probably sounded like sucking up but meh :p

As for your site, I like what I've seen of it(think I've only read but one or two essays...). I might not agree with you, but I do like people who can say what they think without beating around the bush constantly.

AterCorax
August 8th, 2004, 09:09 PM
we know there are always going to be people out there who won't like someone's opinion if it in any way shape or form says something bad about them.

Just because someone disagrees with an anti-fluffy does not make them a fluffy.

-Ater

AterCorax
August 8th, 2004, 09:14 PM
I personally agree with most of the things said on the website.

But then, when I look at the creator of the website, I gotta wonder, is this just another "holier than thou" "i'm better than you are" person? Th answer is usually a firm 'yes.'

But that's just my opinion...for now.

-Ater

ObsidianShenKa
August 8th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Oh come on, she's not one of your worse critics and as we know there are always going to be people out there who won't like someone's opinion if it in any way shape or form says something bad about them. *shrug* Just think of how many people hate "Why Wiccans Suck"

Besides, opinions are like a**holes, everyone has them.
Were Calyx to illustrate exactly what s/he had a problem with, I would have understood.

S/He just thought it'd be fun to try and act snide and diss somebody they didn't like.

S/He may as well have said "*pssh* As if."

:ringaroun

ObsidianShenKa
August 8th, 2004, 09:50 PM
But then, when I look at the creator of the website, I gotta wonder, is this just another "holier than thou" "i'm better than you are" person? Th answer is usually a firm 'yes.'Then what, pray tell, do you base this on?

Usually, the people who down others for a superiority complex are rather megalomaniac themselves, because of the paradox of believing yourself superior yet recognising such insecurity. I may be arrogant, but at least I'm not bordering on being a hypocrite :)

AterCorax
August 8th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Then what, pray tell, do you base this on?:)

One occasion stands out: When you expressed your personal opinions as that of the goddess Morrigan in order to say what her followers can or can't think. Why can't you just express your personal opinions as your opinions?

Usually, the people who down others for a superiority complex are rather megalomaniac themselves, because of the paradox of believing yourself superior yet recognising such insecurity. I may be arrogant, but at least I'm not bordering on being a hypocrite :)

The above quote proves my point.

-Ater

ObsidianShenKa
August 8th, 2004, 10:27 PM
One occasion stands out: When you expressed your personal opinions as that of the goddess Morrigan in order to say what her followers can or can't think. Why can't you just express your personal opinions as your opinions?

1. :yayah: If only your comprehension were at the same level as your vernacular.
2. If you have a personal problem with me, then maybe you need to get personal with me.
3. :fofftopic This thread is about the website, not its creator. Got a problem with me you want dragged out in public? Start a thread in Just Talk. Leave this thread alone, thank you.

Cheers,
Obsidian, who really is better than you :viking:

AterCorax
August 8th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Umm....

I think you've just said everything I wanted to say. Thanks!

-Ater

PS:....

SS'sBaby
August 8th, 2004, 11:48 PM
Originally Posted by AterCorax
But then, when I look at the creator of the website, I gotta wonder, is this just another "holier than thou" "i'm better than you are" person? Th answer is usually a firm 'yes.'

I agree that the answer usually is a firm yes. I can see where you are coming from...

But....for once...in this paticular person...IMHO....it really is a firm NO I have to say. Even as much as I think of Sid and the website and the other members there...I will admit there are some things I disagree with his POV on..but the same goes for this site and many others I frequent. In fact there are NO sites that I am in 100% agreement with and some I am in -100% percent agreement with.

But the Obsidian Mirror is truly full of quite a bit of blunt honesty and Intelligence even as it lacks tact in some respects. And if nothing else...it is forthwith... :uhhuhuh:

morrigen
August 9th, 2004, 12:56 AM
Okey-doke.

Read, pondered, formed an opinion.

I found myself agreeing with some things, and not others, but you expected that :)

Most everything was presented with backup, or in the cas of opinion, disclaimer.

No, that doesn't get you out of pointless (but fun) online debate in future, but it does clarify your points well.

Eveen though I do not agree with alot of what you said (although some of it was very close to my own way of thinking), I had a more enjoyable experience reading your website than some others I have come across, simply because, differences aside, your arguments are presented with thought, and critical analysis.... and not served up with bad unicorn graphics :D

This flakey little hot-pocket looks forward to some lively debate :boing:

Arinya
August 9th, 2004, 02:30 AM
Although I don't agree with all of it,
It sure is damn interesting to read through!

mara
August 9th, 2004, 04:00 AM
I think that everyone who gets in a converstation with Obsidian should first look at his "101 random things you might not know about me" thread in just silly..It shows a balance to his personality- he can be rather sweet, really. I think I understand where he's coming from a little better after reading it.

Calyx
August 9th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Were Calyx to illustrate exactly what s/he had a problem with, I would have understood.

S/He just thought it'd be fun to try and act snide and diss somebody they didn't like.

S/He may as well have said "*pssh* As if."

:ringaroun

Obsidian, how would you presume to know if I did or did not like you? How very uninformed you are as to the state of workings of my mind, although you have already dismissed it as being quite inferior to yours without knowing anything--yes, anything about me.
So, I will illustrate what I do not like about your website so that your mind will easily comprehend what I am saying......

While I agree with much of the material in your website, although I didn't bother to read the entire list of essays, I dislike the tone. I don't feel like you have the right to castigate people for how they practice, or have the right to tell people to stop practicing.

I admit and agree that there is a large amount of misinformation present out there these days and that those who are knowledgeable (which you so obviously consider yourself) should assist in educating others. However, doing it in a kind manner is preferable to calling names, telling them to die, etc. etc.

I agree with Ater when they said they found it "holier than thou". Who are you to tell everyone just how correct their beliefs are? Or make fun of them for buying books in B&N? I felt that this website presented if it wasn't YOUR way, then it was the wrong way. I also found the large amount of cursing to be disturbing. I have no problem with cursing, and do so often myself, but when there is this much cursing within material that the author so clearly feels is important, it makes me wonder--does he have such a limited vocabulary that this is the best he can do to make his point? Surely he is more erudite than that. ..... the amount of cursing in your website reminded me of the movie "Bad Santa". It was so frequent that after awhile it lost its shock value and became tiresome, repetitive, and detrimental to all material involved. I am not saying for you to clean it up--you've already stated you have no plans to do so. I am saying that in my opinion, it makes your intelligence seem more limited that what it obviously is.

I'm sure I could continue, but since I doubt you will see anything more in this post at this point than an attack on you, I elect not to contribute further. In fact, I have noticed that anytime anyone disagrees with your opinions or posts something that you find objectionable, you attack them immediately in a personal manner. As for your snide comments about sarcasm and wit, pfft--they don't bother me in the least. far better people than you have had negative comments about me.

So, go ahead--tear this up and tell me why I suck and why I am obviously a fluffy and a moron and probably deserve to die. I think your attitude exists to hide an insecurity complex. But then, that's just my opinion. :)

P.S. Since you obviously consider yourself an expert on Paganism/Wicca, could you kindly post your experience so we can see? :lol:

ObsidianShenKa
August 9th, 2004, 01:56 PM
First off: Wa-HOW. I sure hit a nerve, didn't I? :jumprope:

Obsidian, how would you presume to know if I did or did not like you?
I don't have any indication save for assumption and instinct, since you didn't clarify anything in your last post.

How very uninformed you are as to the state of workings of my mind, although you have already dismissed it as being quite inferior to yours without knowing anything--yes, anything about me.
That is an assumption on your behalf, bub. :)

So, I will illustrate what I do not like about your website so that your mind will easily comprehend what I am saying......
Thank you very kindly.

While I agree with much of the material in your website, although I didn't bother to read the entire list of essays, I dislike the tone. I don't feel like you have the right to castigate people for how they practice, or have the right to tell people to stop practicing.
Yes I do. I have every right to chide people for doing things I don't like. I have every right to tell them to stop.

I just don't have a right to actually MAKE them stop.

I admit and agree that there is a large amount of misinformation present out there these days and that those who are knowledgeable (which you so obviously consider yourself) should assist in educating others. However, doing it in a kind manner is preferable to calling names, telling them to die, etc. etc.
Perhaps, and it may even be more effective. But venom is so much more fun. Besides, people who are THAT set in their ways (especially fluffy ways) tend not to respond to anything BUT vitriol.

I agree with Ater when they said they found it "holier than thou". Who are you to tell everyone just how correct their beliefs are? Or make fun of them for buying books in B&N? I felt that this website presented if it wasn't YOUR way, then it was the wrong way.
If I didn't believe I found the right way, I wouldn't behave the way I do.

Just remember that I'm not forcing anyone to do ANYTHING. I'm just ruffling people's feathers. Such as yours :)

I also found the large amount of cursing to be disturbing. I have no problem with cursing, and do so often myself, but when there is this much cursing within material that the author so clearly feels is important, it makes me wonder--does he have such a limited vocabulary that this is the best he can do to make his point?
The true gift is having that strong a vernacular and STILL being able to speak like a commoner. Lingual elitism really gets you nowhere, because your everyday nutjob isn't going to understand any word you utter comprising more than three syllables.

Surely he is more erudite than that. ..... the amount of cursing in your website reminded me of the movie "Bad Santa". It was so frequent that after awhile it lost its shock value and became tiresome, repetitive, and detrimental to all material involved. I am not saying for you to clean it up--you've already stated you have no plans to do so. I am saying that in my opinion, it makes your intelligence seem more limited that what it obviously is.
A truly perceptive person can see through the fašade. It's just profanity.

I'm sure I could continue, but since I doubt you will see anything more in this post at this point than an attack on you, I elect not to contribute further.
Oh no, no, no. Don't assume that just because I'm arrogant that I'm insecure. :)

In fact, I have noticed that anytime anyone disagrees with your opinions or posts something that you find objectionable, you attack them immediately in a personal manner.

As for your snide comments about sarcasm and wit, pfft--they don't bother me in the least. far better people than you have had negative comments about me.
If they didn't bother you in the least, you would have ignored them :)

So, go ahead--tear this up and tell me why I suck and why I am obviously a fluffy and a moron and probably deserve to die. I think your attitude exists to hide an insecurity complex. But then, that's just my opinion. :)
Opinions that can't be proven tend to be generally baseless anyway ;)

P.S. Since you obviously consider yourself an expert on Paganism/Wicca, could you kindly post your experience so we can see? :lol:
...I only have one experience?

Obviously you didn't read my site, you must have only skimmed it; I go into much detail regarding my past and what skills I do and do not have.

You mistake me for Maddox, and while similarities exist, I tend to be on a slightly higher intellectual echelon than he is.

Cheers,
Obsidian

Calyx
August 9th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Obsidian,
I am a female, which is clearly posted in my Av area. :uhhuhuh:

IvyWitch
August 9th, 2004, 02:56 PM
:goodgrief

Arinya
August 9th, 2004, 10:41 PM
:dinnertim
If I had some food this would be kind of like dinner theater!
Also if it were in a theater and not on a message board..
Okay so it's nothing like dinner theater..
But it's still entertaining! :D

Desdemona
August 9th, 2004, 11:00 PM

Very funny! Very entertaining. I love angry young men. So many causes, so many axes to grind, so little time. :smash:

There are some "bad" Wiccans out there, and this site skewers them throughly. Then it roasts them, eats them, and poops them out!
Keep it up!

And leave Calyx alone, she's a nice lady!

p.s. Do you really come across that many people that are the way you describe in your essays, or are you just bracing yourself for the day when you do? Or both? Just wondering what it's like. ;)

ObsidianShenKa
August 10th, 2004, 01:05 PM
Obsidian,
I am a female, which is clearly posted in my Av area. :uhhuhuh:
I noticed that upon responding to the second post. :mmm:

Aine of the Fae
August 10th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Very funny! Very entertaining. I love angry young men. So many causes, so many axes to grind, so little time. :smash:

There are some "bad" Wiccans out there, and this site skewers them throughly. Then it roasts them, eats them, and poops them out!
Keep it up!

And leave Calyx alone, she's a nice lady!

p.s. Do you really come across that many people that are the way you describe in your essays, or are you just bracing yourself for the day when you do? Or both? Just wondering what it's like. ;)

I've come across many people like those described in his essays.... *shiver* scary...

ObsidianShenKa
August 10th, 2004, 01:17 PM
I used to BE one of those people.

Aine of the Fae
August 10th, 2004, 01:20 PM
I used to BE one of those people.

There are times when my husband still is.....

ObsidianShenKa
August 10th, 2004, 03:45 PM
That is tragic.

Aine of the Fae
August 10th, 2004, 03:47 PM
That is tragic.

Yes. I know. I married him remember....

Bright side... If I go back to Tech? He said he's staying here...

scaerie faerie
August 10th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Hi Obs. :)

BTW, I agree with Ivy - your site stinks. :D :p

[hugs]

IvyWitch
August 10th, 2004, 04:14 PM

[hugs]

lol

Fideal
August 10th, 2004, 04:19 PM

[hugs]

Especially that article on All Consuming Faith, right? ;)

CaitrionaMorgaine
August 10th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Obsidian, how would you presume to know if I did or did not like you? How very uninformed you are as to the state of workings of my mind, although you have already dismissed it as being quite inferior to yours without knowing anything--yes, anything about me.

Just as you have decided to form an opinion on Obsidian based upon what you do know of him, which isn't much. You have decided to dismiss him as something that you feel that he is without knowing anything else. It's easy to base an opinion on someone on one aspect of who they are.

I could base my opinion of you based on the severity of your response to this particular topic. I'd say then that you were insecure and part of the "holier than thou" crowd because you feel so strongly just because someone dares disagree with you. But that would be quite unfair, don't you think?

You said it yourself. You didn't bother to read the entire list of essays. So you are forming an opinion on a very small amount of information about one aspect of a person. You are choosing what you want to identify him as and stopping there. You are not looking for information that might change your mind. That's a bit closeminded, in my opinion.

Not everyone is cut out to teach. Not everyone wants to. Teaching does not always solve the problem. There will always be those who don't bother to learn. Those are the people that he is most bothered with, based on what I know of Obsidian.

Besides, there has to be someone who is willing to say what they feel no matter what others think. If that wasn't the case, there would never be progress or change. If we all conformed to the nice little path that you seem to feel is right, then we'd have a very boring spirituality--I for one, love the ability of the individual to forge their own path in Paganism. The ability to disagree forces us to determine on our own what we do and do not believe. Questioning is vital to growth.

Embracing the side of you that disagrees, that is angry...that is much harder than pretending to go along with the nice, happy part of life. It is necessary, in my opinion.

I don't agree with everything Obsidian says, and he knows it. We agree to disagree. I respect his right to feel the way he does.

I'm sure I could continue, but since I doubt you will see anything more in this post at this point than an attack on you, I elect not to contribute further. In fact, I have noticed that anytime anyone disagrees with your opinions or posts something that you find objectionable, you attack them immediately in a personal manner. As for your snide comments about sarcasm and wit, pfft--they don't bother me in the least. far better people than you have had negative comments about me.

You have reacted in much the same way that you say he has. Furthermore, you are obviously bothered otherwise you would have dismissed the whole thing and never posted this.

Experience does not wisdom make.

Avalon's Blessings, ~Rhiannon

Calyx
August 10th, 2004, 06:13 PM
I don't know if my separating things out into quotes is going to work or not. Sorry if it doesn't.
Just as you have decided to form an opinion on Obsidian based upon what you do know of him, which isn't much. You have decided to dismiss him as something that you feel that he is without knowing anything else. It's easy to base an opinion on someone on one aspect of who they are.
sigh.....I have never said that I did or did not like Obsidian. You inferred that from my post, which is incorrect. I don't know him well enough to form an opinion yet. I am annoyed with him, which is different. I never dismissed him. Reread my post if you don't understand that.

I could base my opinion of you based on the severity of your response to this particular topic. I'd say then that you were insecure and part of the "holier than thou" crowd because you feel so strongly just because someone dares disagree with you. But that would be quite unfair, don't you think?

You could do so, but it would be incorrect. I am neither of those things. I feel strongly that I have the right to express a dissenting opinion, and have it respected, not be attacked personally for it, just as everyone else does. Dissention does not have to mean dislike or disrespect, although it *seems* to in this thread :rolleyes:

You said it yourself. You didn't bother to read the entire list of essays. So you are forming an opinion on a very small amount of information about one aspect of a person. You are choosing what you want to identify him as and stopping there. You are not looking for information that might change your mind. That's a bit closeminded, in my opinion.
Again, how did this become a personal thing? I read MUCH of the material on the website. I do not have to pour over every single essay to form an opinion, though I did read more than half of it. You missed the point where I said I agreed with much of what he had written. As I did not have an opinion either of him or the website before I went of my own volition to read it, how could I be looking for information to change my mind? I said I did not like the tone or his being judgemental, not him as himself. geez.

Not everyone is cut out to teach. Not everyone wants to. Teaching does not always solve the problem. There will always be those who don't bother to learn. Those are the people that he is most bothered with, based on what I know of Obsidian. .
You are right about the teaching part.

Besides, there has to be someone who is willing to say what they feel no matter what others think. If that wasn't the case, there would never be progress or change. If we all conformed to the nice little path that you seem to feel is right, then we'd have a very boring spirituality--I for one, love the ability of the individual to forge their own path in Paganism. The ability to disagree forces us to determine on our own what we do and do not believe. Questioning is vital to growth.
If this is the case, then why are you dissing me because I disagreed and questioned what I found on his website? In my mind, this is hypocritical. Question all you want, but only if it agrees with what YOU think should be questioned? Sorry, don't suscribe to that theory of thinking. Drink the kool-aid! If you re-read my post, I never pushed a path at all. Don't know where you are coming up with that one.

Embracing the side of you that disagrees, that is angry...that is much harder than pretending to go along with the nice, happy part of life. It is necessary, in my opinion.
Agreed. You must embrace all emotions to grow. He has an angry tone. I don't like it and I don't have to. I have angry tones too. But you don't like mine either, do you? :)

I don't agree with everything Obsidian says, and he knows it. We agree to disagree. I respect his right to feel the way he does.
He can feel any way he wants. I respect that as well. I don't have to agree with it, which I obviously don't.

You have reacted in much the same way that you say he has. Furthermore, you are obviously bothered otherwise you would have dismissed the whole thing and never posted this.

Yes, I don't like being attacked personally because I disagree with someone, and I feel I have the right to defend myself, just as I am once again doing. :rolleyes: Don't put words in my mouth, and I will refrain doing the same to you. If Obsidian didn't want negative opinions, then he should have put a disclaimer in his request that said that negative opinions will be attacked on a personal level. If that's not the case, then he should refrain from attacking people. I have a right not to like his material, as does anyone else. If he can't handle the fact that someone disagrees with HIM, then that's his problem and not mine. Or yours too, apparently.

SS'sBaby
August 10th, 2004, 06:34 PM
It's cool Calyx........ Sid is a arrogant egotistical little shite. :bigredgri
But once you get to know him........the urge to throttle him diminishes........ :T

Notice he tends to have an entourage of highly opinionated people about....so there is always going to be a debate going in one form or another around this kid.

*shrugs*

Don't take it to heart.

Cut her some slack guys...........she is a nice lady.

CaitrionaMorgaine
August 10th, 2004, 06:35 PM
If Obsidian didn't want negative opinions, then he should have put a disclaimer in his request that said that negative opinions will be attacked on a personal level. If that's not the case, then he should refrain from attacking people. I have a right not to like his material, as does anyone else. If he can't handle the fact that someone disagrees with HIM, then that's his problem and not mine. Or yours too, apparently.

The mere suggestion that one should ever have to put a disclaimer on a set of opinions is ludicrous.

And I'm done.

~Rhia

CaitrionaMorgaine
August 10th, 2004, 06:37 PM

Thanks SSB. I appreciate that.

Avalon's Blessings, ~Rhia

Aine of the Fae
August 10th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Oh, I thought that was about me!!! :bigredgri

Maybe it was :D

Obsydian is a nice guy, opinionated and willing to express that yes, but he speaks from experience. He's been there, so he knows what it takes to get through their thick little skulls....

Calyx
August 10th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Oh, I thought that part was about ME! :bigredgri

SS'sBaby
August 10th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Bout all of you Ladies.....now cut each other some slack. :megaphone :bigblue:

Calyx
August 10th, 2004, 06:46 PM
It's cool Calyx........ Sid is a arrogant egotistical little shite. :bigredgri
But once you get to know him........the urge to throttle him diminishes........ :T

Notice he tends to have an entourage of highly opinionated people about....so there is always going to be a debate going in one form or another around this kid.

*shrugs*

Don't take it to heart.

Again, I'm cool. That last long post was just to let you know where I am coming from.:)

As you might be noticing, I can be a pretty highly opinionated person too! :chatty:

Calyx
August 10th, 2004, 06:49 PM
The mere suggestion that one should ever have to put a disclaimer on a set of opinions is ludicrous.

My thoughts exactly, but isn't that what I've had to do? :bigblue:

CaitrionaMorgaine
August 10th, 2004, 07:06 PM
In all fairness, I never expected a disclaimer, especially not in a forum such as this. This is a place where we should be encouraged to share our opinions. It was not my intent to personally attack you, and I apologize if it came off as such. Once more, my Irish temper has gotten the best of me, and the snarky Gemini twin came out to play.

Either way, we've all got the right to disagree, and in a place like this it's hard to communicate exactly what one means, and I understand that.

~Rhia

Calyx
August 10th, 2004, 08:45 PM
Thank you, and agreed! :hugz: I'd give you karma, but I'm out for the day. :bigredblu

Garden of Eden
August 11th, 2004, 06:45 AM
You speak the truth on your site :D I'll give ya that... Little bit too much bashing (general-bashiness!) but it's not like it could have been avoided. Sometimes the world needs a bit of a bash.

ObsidianShenKa
August 11th, 2004, 07:02 AM
^_^

Garden of Eden
August 11th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Dude... some of the examples are cracking me up... :lol:

DebLipp
August 11th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Okay, I read about 5 essays. I didn't see anything resembling "a collection of advanced theological, sociological, political and magical concepts." I saw a series of rants, diatribes, and screeds about a community that makes you angry.

Which is fine, but you're presenting it as something it's not. Maybe I missed the advanced theology, but I certainly looked.

dr_zeus440
August 11th, 2004, 11:40 AM
hooray for bashing and anger, down with advanced theology...
(do i need a disclaimer for that?)
i like the site, dont know why, makes me laugh at a large group of people, and its updated, fat (i.e. with much content), and reasonably informed if i remember correctly, which is more than you can say for most "rants".

AterCorax
August 11th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Okay, I read about 5 essays. I didn't see anything resembling "a collection of advanced theological, sociological, political and magical concepts." I saw a series of rants, diatribes, and screeds about a community that makes you angry.

Which is fine, but you're presenting it as something it's not. Maybe I missed the advanced theology, but I certainly looked.

Ditto. :)

-Ater

ObsidianShenKa
August 11th, 2004, 01:12 PM

Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Maybe you just took offense because I think the circle of authors are the bane of Neopagan legitimacy :D

ObsidianShenKa
August 11th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Ditto. :)

-Ater
Surprise surprise :help:

DebLipp
August 11th, 2004, 01:14 PM
Just because you didn't see it doesn't mean it isn't there.

Maybe you just took offense because I think the circle of authors are the bane of Neopagan legitimacy :D

Or maybe you're too quick to judge. I'd be happy to reconsider my opinion if you'd point me to the right articles. But if all you can do is question my motives then I see no reason to think my observation is anything but legitimate.

ObsidianShenKa
August 11th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Or maybe you're too quick to judge.
It's kind of hard to judge with a "maybe". Suppositions and accusations are different things. :D

I'd be happy to reconsider my opinion if you'd point me to the right articles. But if all you can do is question my motives then I see no reason to think my observation is anything but legitimate.So read the whole thing. Then judge.

SS'sBaby
August 11th, 2004, 01:35 PM
*wanders through , after reading thread, wondering if Magical Lolipop Dragon Goddess Princess of all things Cute and Fluffy and Sugary and Snuggly Wuggly ever comes here* :wtf:

ObsidianShenKa
August 11th, 2004, 01:36 PM
I dunno...maybe someone should invite her.

SS'sBaby
August 11th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Go get her an invite.............

ObsidianShenKa
August 11th, 2004, 01:46 PM
C'mon...me? Surely you jest, dear.

She wouldn't listen to me if I had money.

SS'sBaby
August 11th, 2004, 01:53 PM
Well it can't be me :dis: ......anytime I'm half-arse friendly people think I'm being insincere......and usually they are right :smooch: ......soooooooooooooooo

hmmmmmmmmmm.........

too bad we can't drag Mark this way.......and I do not mean the Dove's other half........I think his appearence here would be educational........for all parties......or I may bust a gut laughing at him....one of the two........

IvyWitch
August 11th, 2004, 01:58 PM
too bad we can't drag Mark this way.......and I do not mean the Dove's other half........I think his appearence here would be educational........for all parties......or I may bust a gut laughing at him....one of the two........

Please, let's not. There's enough freaking issues in this thread alone that we don't need that moron here stirring the pot more. I think you and Obs do quite enough of that already.

ObsidianShenKa
August 11th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Yesh, mummy.

*goes and pways pokÚmon*

AterCorax
August 11th, 2004, 02:02 PM
Fine, fine, I'll invite her:

C'mon, c'mon!
Magical Lolipop Dragon Goddess Princess of all things Cute and Fluffy and Sugary and Snuggly Wuggly!!
I invite thee, yer Priest of Fluff, come in here, and don't ya bluff!!
C'mon, c'mon!

There, happy now? :)

-Ater

ObsidianShenKa
August 11th, 2004, 02:04 PM
I don't see her coming :p

AterCorax
August 11th, 2004, 02:07 PM
You're not fluffy enough to feel her presence. :)

Work on your fluff within, and she shall be clear as day!

-Ater

dr_zeus440
August 11th, 2004, 02:10 PM
wooooooah, steady on tiger, since when has stirring the pot been a bad thing ivy?

ObsidianShenKa
August 11th, 2004, 02:10 PM
http://www.osage.net/~lwaite

IvyWitch
August 11th, 2004, 02:14 PM
wooooooah, steady on tiger, since when has stirring the pot been a bad thing ivy?

It's a bad thing when your sole intention is to do so, and then watch what happens afterwards.

ObsidianShenKa
August 11th, 2004, 02:17 PM
Hon, chaos isn't bad. Chaos is beautiful.

That aside, I don't see what this has to do with the Obsidian Mirror.

So:

:fofftopic

AterCorax
August 11th, 2004, 02:18 PM
http://www.osage.net/~lwaite

Her presence is in this magicKal link!!

Click people, click! :crylaugh:

-Ater

Aine of the Fae
August 11th, 2004, 02:32 PM
I'm here!!! I am the Magical Lolipop Dragon Goddess Princess of all things Cute and Fluffy and Sugary and Snuggly Wuggly!!

You believe me don't you?

Shugo
August 11th, 2004, 02:58 PM
I'd just like to point out one thing here. First off, I have read most of Gardner's stuff and base my path off his writings (except for the history of course). However I would like to point out that there are some changes that have been made in the wiccan community that you seem to hate that are just about required if we ever hope to be accepted by the larger community as a legit faith. One of the most major being ritual nudity. I understand that most people beleive this serves to represent the fact that we should have nothing to hide in the presence of our deities, but do we really need to be nude to remind ourselves of this fact? All it really does is serve to reinforce the stereotype of ye' olde witche dancing buck naked around a bonfire in the woods worshipping the devil, which we really don't need.

dr_zeus440
August 11th, 2004, 03:15 PM
hmm, to that, i would question, and i dont think im the only one, whether or not the reconciliation with popular culture through the sacrifice of our own culture is acceptable. but thats a personal thing, its more acceptable to some than to others.

SS'sBaby
August 11th, 2004, 03:20 PM
Ivy...relax.......Sid and I are having a bit of fun. We both know how hard it is to get a concept across to people about certain types of people(who sound almost to be a stereotype rather than a real breathing person)if those some have not dealt with those certain elements of persons....and until they do are completely oblivious to the feelings it invokes within one. Why it would inspire a rant.....or essay etc.
I say this because...I have been there. On the side of not knowing....and then being presented with the stereo-typical person I thought could only dwell in the shallow recesses of one's mind...never truly existing. So in essence ....I'm jesting and attempting to lighten the mood........

Our motives were not as underhanded as you thought.
We would invite niether here....it was in fun Luv. You know us better than that.

SS'sBaby
August 11th, 2004, 03:22 PM
You believe me don't you?

*holds ribs* :falloffch

SS'sBaby
August 11th, 2004, 03:26 PM
You're not fluffy enough to feel her presence.

Work on your fluff within, and she shall be clear as day!

-Ater

Now stop it! Just stop it you guys! *s****** snort cough choke rib ache s*******
Goths are not made to laugh this much....my eyes are aching...my ribs are throbbing....I can feel my face breaking I tell you....!!!!!! :bug:

IvyWitch
August 11th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Ivy...relax.......Sid and I are having a bit of fun. We both know how hard it is to get a concept across to people about certain types of people(who sound almost to be a stereotype rather than a real breathing person)if those some have not dealt with those certain elements of persons....and until they do are completely oblivious to the feelings it invokes within one. Why it would inspire a rant.....or essay etc.
I say this because...I have been there. On the side of not knowing....and then being presented with the stereo-typical person I thought could only dwell in the shallow recesses of one's mind...never truly existing. So in essence ....I'm jesting and attempting to lighten the mood........

Our motives were not as underhanded as you thought.
We would invite niether here....it was in fun Luv. You know us better than that.

Still not going to stop me from questioning motives, and I'm not so sure I *do* know you better than that. At least not in a setting like this.

scaerie faerie
August 11th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Especially that article on All Consuming Faith, right? ;)

That's the worst bit. ;) :D

Aine of the Fae
August 11th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Now stop it! Just stop it you guys! *s****** snort cough choke rib ache s*******
Goths are not made to laugh this much....my eyes are aching...my ribs are throbbing....I can feel my face breaking I tell you....!!!!!! :bug:

Stick around here very long and you with laugh until your ribs break... especially when I go on rants....

Faerwolf
August 11th, 2004, 04:39 PM
I have to say at first glance one could find your site arrogant, insensitive, egotistical, etc etc etc. But i have to say, all in all, i give it two thumbs up. While your harsh attitude may seem somewhere between pesimistic and rude, or both, I like it. I like it alot. We need voices like yours. Keep it up.

SS'sBaby
August 11th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Still not going to stop me from questioning motives, and I'm not so sure I *do* know you better than that. At least not in a setting like this.

:wtf:

Right then.......question away.

IvyWitch
August 11th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Sorry, I'm just not interested in seeing an EW crossover (which is what I'm afraid of), and it does seem to me like there's a lot of unnecessary pot stirring going on.

Yes, and I know you were talking about Mark V.

Aine of the Fae
August 11th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Sorry, I'm just not interested in seeing an EW crossover (which is what I'm afraid of), and it does seem to me like there's a lot of unnecessary pot stirring going on.

Yes, and I know you were talking about Mark V.

I'm not sure that would be a bad thing, but then again I'm not really sure that would be such a good thing either. I know exactly what you mean IvyWitch, I really do.

Calyx
August 11th, 2004, 07:17 PM
There's a difference in stirring pots to provoke thought in a beneficial way, and stirring pots just to start trouble. I see this as more of a trouble making way myself. I never see any defense except for attacks and finger pointing, so......if it's not, then let's have some. :nuhuh:

lightdragon
August 11th, 2004, 11:07 PM
I`m HEEEEERRRREEEEEEEEE. Be hysterical. Be very hysterical. I was trained in humor by a guy who was first editor for MAD magazine.

So what me worry! :bouncysmi

ObsidianShenKa
August 12th, 2004, 03:39 AM
SSB isn't here on an EW crossover, but a Mirror crossover. Same with LD.

IvyWitch
August 12th, 2004, 09:18 AM
It still makes me nervous regardless, and for other reasons too.

Aine of the Fae
August 12th, 2004, 09:35 AM
SSB isn't here on an EW crossover, but a Mirror crossover. Same with LD.

Oh gods... a Mirror crossover? :scream:

scaerie faerie
August 12th, 2004, 01:34 PM
...and obviously I was here anyway. :D

SS'sBaby
August 12th, 2004, 02:28 PM
What? You think I infiltrated the great Mystic Wicks? I'm the great sneak Spy here on a secret covert mission? Living a life on the run and jumping at every shadow and noise? *jump gasp* What's that I'll say.....Why it's an EVIL Devil Worshipping baby killing PAGAN! Dear God! I'm surrounded..........*runs screaming*

Ivy Witch, most persons through out cyber land have gotten used to me by now, some have ranted over me,some loathe me, some ignore me, and most just grin and pat my little cynical sarcastic cyber head and let me play. It's your choice.

ObsidianShenKa
August 12th, 2004, 03:39 PM
...and obviously I was here anyway. :D
:wave:

scaerie faerie
August 12th, 2004, 03:49 PM
:wave:

:fishsmack :cheers:

seastone81
August 12th, 2004, 03:50 PM
Obsidian, I like what you're saying, but think it will have to be resaid by someone less harsh before it is accepted into mainstream pagan thought. I think it's important to be accepted into mainstream too - because you make some really good points.

Not that this means you need to change what you're doing one little bit - pretty much every revolution is started by someone way left (or right) of center to get the masses moving, but when the dust settles things hardly ever end up as extreme as the original instigator put it... take feminist thought for example. If half of my professors had their way, all men would be blighted and women would be free to roam the earth without oppression. But the rest of us settle for greater equality in the work place and removal of some of the glass ceiling.

I'm still on my first cup of coffee... is this making good sense? If not, stir it around a bit and I think my point might bubble to the top. *shrugs* anyway, at the end of the day - great blog and keep it coming!

Aine of the Fae
August 12th, 2004, 05:18 PM
What? You think I infiltrated the great Mystic Wicks? I'm the great sneak Spy here on a secret covert mission? Living a life on the run and jumping at every shadow and noise? *jump gasp* What's that I'll say.....Why it's an EVIL Devil Worshipping baby killing PAGAN! Dear God! I'm surrounded..........*runs screaming*

Ivy Witch, most persons through out cyber land have gotten used to me by now, some have ranted over me,some loathe me, some ignore me, and most just grin and pat my little cynical sarcastic cyber head and let me play. It's your choice.

:lol: I've experienced that reaction lately....

I don't think an EW crossover would be all that bad, but I do think it would make quite a few people uncormfortable... heck, I make more than enough people around here uncomfortable....

It really would depend who was coming over here...

As for a Mirror infiltration? Well.... that's kinda scary, but scary in the rollercoaster-adrenaline-rush kind of way :D

IvyWitch
August 12th, 2004, 05:53 PM

No, i'm just being surrounded by bad blood, and I'm (stupidly) nervous that you and sid are extending that to here. I'm sorry, I shouldnt have said it, I'm being dumb. =/ I didnt mean to be...mean. --;

ObsidianShenKa
August 12th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Just relax. There's no invasion taking place here. Yet :smoke:

SS'sBaby
August 12th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Actually I was here way back.......but lost my password and just started over:
SpookShowsBaby
Lurker at the threshold February 6th, 2004

http://www.mysticwicks.com/memberlist.php?do=getall&page=20&ltr=S&pp=50&order=asc&postslower=0&postsupper=0&sort=username&ausername=&homepage=&icq=&aim=&yahoo=&msn=&joindateafter=&joindatebefore=&lastpostafter=&lastpostbefore=

IvyWitch
August 12th, 2004, 06:41 PM

Relax? What do you mean? I'm always relaxed :twitch: :lookaroun

lightdragon
August 12th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Oh good so we haven't yet told them about the others.

:foopsies:

SS'sBaby
August 12th, 2004, 09:29 PM
Now you've gone and blabbed it all....... :hairred:

lightdragon
August 12th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Oh what can i do to make it up to you.I know I know :smoochypo

ObsidianShenKa
August 13th, 2004, 03:24 AM
Nope, they yet lay in wait.

SS'sBaby
August 13th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Oh what can i do to make it up to you.I know I know :smoochypo

*wipes face*
Oh ick.....how will I explain To Hubby why I smell of charbroiled humans......oh damn...I've been smelt out. He's inspecting the backyard grill.... :lookaroun

ObsidianShenKa
August 13th, 2004, 12:12 PM
...uh oh.

Tell 'im you were making kosher pork chops.....:crazylaug

SS'sBaby
August 13th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Yeah.....that's it..........that's the ticket.

Hellenic_Witch
August 13th, 2004, 01:35 PM
I like your site and especially enjoyed your article on persecution. I think you have a good writing style, and I like the simple, straight-forward layout of your site. Well, that's my two cents, but its probably worth less than that.

lightdragon
August 13th, 2004, 09:26 PM
...uh oh.

Tell 'im you were making kosher pork chops.....:crazylaug
that's half kosher. :rolleyes: mixed with german and italian and possibly a bit of irish added to it.

lightdragon
August 13th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Yeah.....that's it..........that's the ticket.
It don`t matter. I am in control of your hubby's mind. :smoke: For the spell i wore a pointed witchhat, around my next i wore a one foot diameter clear plastic pentagram with multicolor lights you would find on a X-mas tree.Now let's see what else i put on oh yes. I used a duplicate costume of WitchyPoo from Sid & Marty Kroft's H.R.PuffNStuff. I used a plastic Harry Potter wand. I forgot what else did i do. So :shhhh:

ObsidianShenKa
August 15th, 2004, 05:44 PM
*bifs LD upside the head*

ObsidianShenKa
August 15th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Holy crap, I've updated the Mirror.

lightdragon
August 15th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Holy crap, I've updated the Mirror.
I just read your latest rant/essay there. I disagree with some of it, but any of the essays this is the most agreeable one so far. (The least agreeable is the wiccan bling-bling). Some of what you wrote i did read in some of $ilver RavenWolf's books as well.

ObsidianShenKa
August 15th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Silver's not a complete liar.

And she's not an idiot.

That's what makes her so dangerous.

lightdragon
August 15th, 2004, 08:51 PM
Silver's not a complete liar.

And she's not an idiot.

That's what makes her so dangerous.
If there are any Satanists take offense here excuse me
But what you are saying is that $RW should be compared to the demon in the Exorcist. Where he told lies and the truth.

ObsidianShenKa
August 15th, 2004, 08:57 PM
I don't know her personally, but in my five years since reading Broomstick, being suckered into Wicca because of it, coming to realise it's a load of BS, hating her, and now coming full circle, I have this to say about SRW.

She is one of the most famous "Wiccans" out there today. Love her or hate her, few are indifferent to her or her works. It appears to me that she has specifically engineered a method of controlling people by enticing them with just enough metaphysical truth to sucker people into believing her and buying her books and talking about her, yet feeding so much BS that not only does she keep power tools out of the hands of children, but she also infuriates those who HAVE figured things out, even to some extent.

She has found a way to divide the community and get rich and famous off of it too. Frankly, I think she's a genius.

And this needs its own thread.

IvyWitch
August 15th, 2004, 09:00 PM

No, it doesn't. There are about 4 other SRW threads out there.

Aine of the Fae
August 15th, 2004, 09:06 PM
I don't know her personally, but in my five years since reading Broomstick, being suckered into Wicca because of it, coming to realise it's a load of BS, hating her, and now coming full circle, I have this to say about SRW.

She is one of the most famous "Wiccans" out there today. Love her or hate her, few are indifferent to her or her works. It appears to me that she has specifically engineered a method of controlling people by enticing them with just enough metaphysical truth to sucker people into believing her and buying her books and talking about her, yet feeding so much BS that not only does she keep power tools out of the hands of children, but she also infuriates those who HAVE figured things out, even to some extent.

She has found a way to divide the community and get rich and famous off of it too. Frankly, I think she's a genius.

I know someone who knows her. Said SRW is a very sweet, but flakey woman. Intelligent yes, but still flakey.

ObsidianShenKa
August 16th, 2004, 12:50 AM
Yeah, it did Ivy, because this isn't an SRW thread, this is an Obsidian Mirror thread. I'd like it to stay somewhat on topic :)

Keroberos
August 24th, 2004, 05:47 PM
I for one would like to thank you Obsidian. I'm quite new to the path and have found it hard as hell to find any sites that aren't complete schlock. The first site that I really liked was Wicca for the Rest of Us, and your site followed suite in my mind with real information that can actually help me form opinions that aren't flufftastic. Though I may not agree with every single word that you type on screen, I enjoy being able to read all of your opinions. So good job! I look forward to everything this site can teach me, in an intellegent yet opinionated way!!

Kaylara
November 8th, 2005, 06:30 AM
You need to update more often!

johenn123
November 11th, 2005, 06:00 PM
very very honest

AussiePagan
November 27th, 2005, 09:52 PM
I really like your direct, blunt, writting style. I chuckled :lol: Love the site

Tesra
December 23rd, 2005, 10:33 PM
I like that your blunt and have your own mind! The swearing don't bother me either, I'm an adult. Really I am! :hehehehe: