PDA

View Full Version : *Sigh* Another kitten to the pound

docdoo
August 17th, 2004, 07:31 PM
Well, I had to do another 'Drive by Kitten Drop off' last night. *Sighs* I simply cannot understand why people don't keep their cats inside, or, at the very least get them spayed and neutered.

I *thought* that I had managed to get rid of all of the neighbors cats, but alas, I was wrong. There are at least 3 more, around 12 week old kittens, living in my garage. Why? Because they migrated from the neighbors yard...the one last night was slightly *less* feral than the one the night before, but only because it was dying of a respiratory illness and had no choice but to be handled by humans.

It's an unfortunate reality that the Human Society and the pounds simply do not have any room for cats. For me to drop off cats that AREN'T even mine costs me around 20.00 IF they even have room. Same to have them put to sleep.

Anyway, just wanted to post this, it's terribly sad to hold a 12 week old kitten in your arms and know that it's trying to purr but all it can manage is a bubbly discharge because it's lungs are filling with fluid.

Such a shame. :(

morrigen
August 17th, 2004, 08:32 PM
Oh, that makes me very sad and angry, all at once.

Sad for the poor little kittens, and angry at those who refuse to take responsibility for their pets.

I'm sorry you had to deal with this...there's no excuse for the owners not spaying, there's enough information disseminated out there...it just comes down to an attitude of not caring a whit....these people do not deserve animals...grrrrr...

MsFireHaven
August 17th, 2004, 10:40 PM
Much love to you for being the kind of person to step forward and try to do something good, Im sure the kitten was thankful for your kindness...

Llewyth
August 18th, 2004, 10:07 AM
There are tons of strays around here too. I try to catch them, but it's really hard. It's even harder to see them out in the cold during winter. *sigh*

teishabee
August 18th, 2004, 10:13 AM
Round here id say its vet bills that make peeps not have them neutered.

My cat ripped out her stiching and her insides where outside. This was on a sunday and we had to call a vet out. For the money we payed he stappled the cats skin back together. But then are are free places but you have to travel.

Bainidhe Dub
August 18th, 2004, 10:23 AM
I'll not get on this subject more than to say this is how we got Majic - who is doing well, but she's still fighting respiratory infections.

docdoo
August 18th, 2004, 11:02 AM
There are tons of strays around here too. I try to catch them, but it's really hard. It's even harder to see them out in the cold during winter. *sigh*

If you can get your hands on a live trap you can bait it with tuna-fish or a can of wet cat food. Sometimes local shelters offer them for rental.

It's a horrible cycle and it seems that there are still so many people out there that just won't have their cats spayed or neutered. We have a rescue kitty here, we took her home because she was living under someones porch, turns out she was pregnant *sigh*(She is an inside cat of course)

Now we have 5 very adorable kittens who will be *very* hard to place in a good home. Had I known any earlier I would have had a 'kitty abortion' done on her but alas, we didn't find out until too late.

Anyway, it just makes me so very sad to see the little ones outside, underweight and ill and there is little that I can do to help them.

I wish I could catch the neighbors in the trap and send THEM to the pound :rolleyes:

teishabee
August 18th, 2004, 11:04 AM
I think if you cant afford to care for them right you shudnt have them, but then I doubt people will ever see this.

LadyAutumnCat
August 18th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Thanks for helping out the kitten/cats.

The main issue is that people need to spay/neuter their pets, and actually realize that they are family NOT property. If only there was a way to assist the needy and educate the uneducated. Sigh. Till then, I will continue to help, however I can, and hope that everyone here will too.

Blessed be...

docdoo
August 18th, 2004, 12:27 PM
This is directed at Sylvan who gave me red karma....Actually, I *did* think about killing it, mostly because I'm *not* a coward.

teishabee
August 18th, 2004, 03:53 PM
you get jibes and your the 'good guy'!

WinterTree
August 18th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Those poor babies. :( It rips me up inside knowing that for so many cats, it's either death or homelessness.

Llewyth
August 18th, 2004, 04:42 PM
If you can get your hands on a live trap you can bait it with tuna-fish or a can of wet cat food. Sometimes local shelters offer them for rental.
I wish I could catch the neighbors in the trap and send THEM to the pound :rolleyes:
Yeah, but knowing my luck I'll catch the neighborhood racoon or skunk. I've already saved a racoon. Some dumb people haven't told their kids not to play with wild animals. A racoon mother had 5 kits and the neighborhood kids played with 3 of them and of course the momma wouldn't take them back. All the other neighbors, (I live in a neighborhood of morons.) started to feed them anything. (Oh yeah, that`s real smart...:rolleyes: ) So I went and got the baby that was left behind after the city came and got the 2 other ones. I found a local zoo to rehabilitate it.
I want to send my whole neighborhood to the pound.

OriginalWacky
August 20th, 2004, 12:44 PM
You know, I can understand not being able to get them spayed right away. (And teishabee, you said: "I think if you cant afford to care for them right you shudnt have them, but then I doubt people will ever see this."... Does this mean that if you get a pet and have no problem maintaining them, but then some circumstance arises that forces you to rearrange your budget, that you shouldn't be allowed to have one at all? So, only rich people should have the enjoyment of pets?)

What I can't understand, is why people seem to think that 'just one litter' won't hurt. Many of those 'just one litter's that have contributed so heavily to the overpopulation of cats. And worse, the folks who abandon theirs (unaltared, of course) that start producing feral babies, and then it turns into a whole lot more litters, they just make me all sorts of grumbly.

I keep my girls inside only (and will do so after they are spayed too). Although I would totally LOVE to have a little of babies, I'm not sure I'm up to taking care of so many more little ones, and I refuse to add to the population when there are cats being put to sleep daily because of lack of homes. Of course, I've also set a totally unreasonable limit to the cat I'll take in next (that helps me keep it down, or I'd be taking in more than the shelter does!). I've stated that the only way I'll take another cat is if it's a calico manx kitten, with little to no tail. That oughta be tough to find (of course, if I find it, I'm gonna take it).

Currently, the rescue I work with is trying to place around 30 cats and kittens. I so wish I could take some, but with 2 large dogs, and 7 cats, I just don't think I can do it. I can swing the food, and probably even the litter boxes, and the extra regular vet costs, but if an emergency arises, I'll be out of luck fast. ::sigh::