View Full Version : Christian ancestors and the afterlife

August 23rd, 2004, 06:21 AM
ok, usually i try to avoid questions of the hereafter as the answers are mostly specualtion anyway and i figure i'll find out when i get there. however, one thing has been bothering me. there is a story about a king (i forget his name and country) who Christian missionaries were trying to convert. he was interested up until the point when they told him that he would be separated from his ancestors in the Christian heaven. now, i applaud this move, but where does it leave me? i don't see myself going back to christianity, wasn't really there to begin with, but it would be more or less a matter of brushing off my granparents in favor of my great x50 grandparents, as i understand things. i don't like that.

also, what if you went to Valhalla and your family went to Hel? would you just be cut off forever?

August 23rd, 2004, 11:33 AM
Hail Banondraig
I dont know if I can be of any help here.But from what I understand of the heathen belief in the after life,some believed that when you die that you either go to Valhalla or to Freyja's realm( Folkvangr)if you die in battle or a violent death,there you would stay until you were reincarnated or unto the end of time.While others believed that some went to hel(some but not all viewed this in the same way as the xtian hell)most viewed this as similar to the xtian heaven,but unlike their view,the ones who went to hel remained there until it was time to be reincarnated.
So it would seem to me that no matter where you go in death that eventually you will or could reunite with past loved ones,etc.
I am not one of those convinced of the hel similar to hell view.It seems to me that this view came after xtian influence.
As for people of other faiths,I see it this way.If we are correct in our beliefs then all people will go to one of the heathen places of death any way.Most likely hel.Though it is also believed by some that some people remain here on earth as spirits,so they may remain in that state until the end or until they are reincarnated.If they9xtains) are correct then we HEATHENS will be in hell for eternity.
Hope this has helped.

August 23rd, 2004, 11:41 AM
In my opinion none of that matters because when we are in our non-physical life, we dont hang on to the physical needs that went with it plus I believe you can reincarnate into anything at any time and anywhere, Heck you might have a wife or more as a differant species on another planet in another demension and thats in addition to the loved ones here and all the other loved ones in all the other lives in all the other worlds and time lines.

Unless you only have one life and all your loved ones only have one life..the after lifes doesnt matter in that sence of wanting to see them again.

August 23rd, 2004, 11:51 AM
Hail Shanti!
Well in the heathen belief system people come back as people,not animals,plants etc.In fact those that go to Valhalla or Folkvangr/Sessrumnir are believed to come back at the end time to fight with the gods at Ragnarok,the end time battle.

August 23rd, 2004, 03:01 PM
thanks Kern and Shanti! that actually did help. previously i had thought in terms of EVERYBODY being sort of right, in that there would be a Christian heaven, an Elysian Fields, a Hades, a Summerlands, a Valhalla, etc., etc. however, since the Christians (in general!) believe that they are right and everyone else is wrong, then conversely if we are right, then they are in fact wrong. yep. that's a real weight off my mind. i could hug you right now, but i'll just settle for a :huddle: .

August 24th, 2004, 08:56 AM
Your Welcome banondraig and :huddle: back to ya.

August 24th, 2004, 09:07 AM
that is one mind-boggler, banondraig. :foh:
i've always agreed with what you said in the previous post, that everyone more or less gets to where they think they will be going. either that, or, there is no afterlife to speak of, period. but it does seem a little too easy, now that i think about it.
it does raise an interesting point, though, within the heathen community. can the people of helheim interact with the people in valhalla? it would seem strange that a worrior slain on the battlefield couldn't see his mum every now and again, who's stuck in helheim with all the other people who have died of sickness or old age. i mean, there should be a meeting point, or a rec room, at the very least.

oh, yeah. i think there is the possibility of a quick stay away from whichever hall you belong to... cause it is possible (at least for the gods) to wander between the worlds. freyja's been all over the place, from ljossalfheim (to visit her brother) to svartalfheim and i believe she hangs out at valhalla, too. (you can read about this in the story of brisingamen.)
so... if the gods can do it, why shouldn't the spirits of the dead, who are with the gods?

August 24th, 2004, 11:42 PM
My opinion has always been that one could travel where ever they wanted after death. Thus if you were in Valhalla, and had loved ones in Hel you could go visit.

August 25th, 2004, 06:54 AM
Good points Mothwench and Wodening.I to believe that one can travel back and forth and even come back to earth to visit.

December 29th, 2004, 03:56 AM
I have died in this life and other so I an certain that "God is love " is the truth. you can reincarnate or cross over but Love is the answer

December 29th, 2004, 12:18 PM
I think the whole x-ain influence mucked everything up. If you died in battle...never heard of the "violent death" theory before today...half went to Valhalla and the other half to Folkvang. If you died from old age, disease etc. you went to Helheim, as far as the "wandering" between realms, the river Gjoll kinda prevents anyone from leaving Hel. I always wondered though why everyone was so hyped up to go to Valhalla anyways...not that it would be a bad thing mind you...but I want to go to the Hall of my ancestors and even if Hel did call for me it has been so twisted by x-ian influence that it is made out to be this horrid place.

January 19th, 2005, 12:57 AM
one can travel to the gates of hel or valhalla while still incarnate in this realm... i do not see why one would be denied travel between them when you are no longer incarnated.