PDA

View Full Version : How many of the couples.....

DianaStormDancer
August 27th, 2004, 01:07 PM
here in Mystic Wicks were married conventionally or handfasted or both?

{Tigress}
August 27th, 2004, 01:26 PM
We had a conventional wedding, albeit a Jewish/Christian one.

Sleet
August 27th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Roman Catholic high Mass wedding with all the fixins.

WynterWynd
August 27th, 2004, 02:05 PM
We were married by a good ol' Babptist Minister. We want to 'renew' our vows with a Handfasting:)

phoenixblayze
August 27th, 2004, 02:10 PM
i was married first with a magistrate. we rented a ballroom and had the wedding there,it was wonderful, then on our year aniversary we were handfasted. i had my closest friends there, and im happy with both ceremonys

Aine of the Fae
August 27th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Married at a veterans memorial pavilion by a mayor.

Pol
August 27th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Well, neither for me.
My wife and I made our vows to each other, went to get the paperwork, then found out that she's going to be having an highly expensive jaw surgery..so it's best to let her parent's insurance cover it..hmm..

Anyway.

LadyTrinity
August 27th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Will be handfasted next sept :hearthear

djmixon
August 27th, 2004, 04:41 PM
My hubby and I were married at the breakfast table. . .My father was a minister before his death last year. . .so he just had to wash his hands and sign the certificate.

Before that, I was married by a JP (then divorced) and then married in a big church ceremony (then divorced). I have decided that the length of the marriage is inversly proportante to the amount of money spent on the wedding. . .

Since hubby and I didn't spend anything, we will be together forever. . .WHOOPPPPPIIEEEEE

Yasmine Galenorn
August 27th, 2004, 04:48 PM
We had a friend marry us and she was also the Priestess who handfasted us. So we signed the certificate, then had our wedding/handfasting (rolled into one) on a different day.

Yasmine

Isil Darkmoon
August 27th, 2004, 04:57 PM
Mcc and I have been handfasted for several years; we will (eventually) be legally married largely out of respect/wishes of family and for insurance-related crap

Gala
August 27th, 2004, 04:59 PM
In Louisiana, wiccan priest and priestesses can perform legal ceremonies.. So we had sort of a combo with a Priestess. It was very sweet and moving.

Smiley Girl
August 27th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Well, neither for me.
My wife and I made our vows to each other, went to get the paperwork, then found out that she's going to be having an highly expensive jaw surgery..so it's best to let her parent's insurance cover it..hmm..

Anyway.

What he said :D Except... yeah. Make appropriate changes. :hehehehe:

IvyWitch
August 27th, 2004, 05:28 PM
We are planning on having both. However we haven't decided which one should come first, and what the conventional wedding will be like. But luckily I have until the spring before I have to start thinking about it.

Rockprincess
August 27th, 2004, 05:33 PM
We were married by a justice of the peace. There was no religious content to the ceremony whatsoever - partly by my husband's choice, and partly because in scotland, if you choose to have a non-religious ceremony (ie, have a JP instead of a minister of some faith), there can be no religious content - right down to the music. I wanted the harpist to play Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring, and it wasn't allowed! :holycow:

However, we the ceremony ourselves, and it was deeply meaningful. We took oaths, and to me that is a religious thing.

Athena-Nadine
August 27th, 2004, 05:44 PM
We will be married by a non-denominational reverend, in a secular ceremony. With me not being Christian, and my fiance being Christian, we've created a ceremony that reflects our common beliefs and values (of which there are many). I couldn't be happier with it. The only part of the ceremony that will reflect a particular religion will be whatever reading my mother performs, as she is a Christian Deacon, and only because it is the way in which I wanted to be able to honor her. After all, it is the meaning behind the words that is important, not the source the words came from.

Starpixie
August 29th, 2004, 12:17 AM
We had a quick wedding in a court house but on our tenth anniversary we are going to get handfasted.

morrigen
August 29th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Not married. Not likely ever will be...

He's asked several times, but I'm a commitment-phobe. It just scares me to death...

Bec_W
August 29th, 2004, 07:50 AM
We're legally married but our ceremony included a handfasting.

Scarlettvixen
August 29th, 2004, 08:01 AM
we got married by a celebrant and wtote our own vows.
she told us the few bits of words that legally had to go in there and other than that we basically wrote our own ceremony.

it wasnt overtly pagan as both our parents are christians..... mine protestant and his catholic and we had created enough of a stink by refusing to decide which way we were going (ie catholic or protestant) and getting married in a church!

so it was a handfasting of sorts

Faery-Wings
August 29th, 2004, 08:15 AM
We got married in a Catholic ceremony- I did it for my dad. Iwanted to renew our vows in a more personal manner on our tenth anniversary, but hubby said, "Why? The vows don't expire." :whatmewor

tygherrayn
August 29th, 2004, 10:18 AM
Jason and I were handfasted in June of 1997, then married 'conventionally' in2001.

DianaStormDancer
August 30th, 2004, 07:25 PM
Wow how heartening to see the diversity in everyones answers here...it does my heart good.

lovemy1dane
September 1st, 2004, 08:09 PM
Conventional. (his parents are catholic and my step father is lutheren, he has no beleifs and I am pagan.) We were married by a Wesleyen minister in a circa 1600's stone church that is only used as a wedding chapel. The minister knew our beliefs and could not care less as long as we loved each other and was happy. (although we were more than welcome to join his church!) We wanted a unitarian minister as a happy medium (his parents would have died at a handfasting. they do not know I am pagan!) but the local one would not marry us unless we went ot her church and then only at her church + fees and hubby had his heart set on this stone church with the fireplace. I decorated with a pagan theme and LOTS of candles (it was a candlelit ceremony with a fire!) and I invoked the god and goddess before the actual ceremony. and no one who was not pagan was any wiser!

Athena-Nadine
September 1st, 2004, 08:30 PM
Conventional. (his parents are catholic and my step father is lutheren, he has no beleifs and I am pagan.) We were married by a Wesleyen minister in a circa 1600's stone church that is only used as a wedding chapel. The minister knew our beliefs and could not care less as long as we loved each other and was happy. (although we were more than welcome to join his church!) We wanted a unitarian minister as a happy medium (his parents would have died at a handfasting. they do not know I am pagan!) but the local one would not marry us unless we went ot her church and then only at her church + fees and hubby had his heart set on this stone church with the fireplace. I decorated with a pagan theme and LOTS of candles (it was a candlelit ceremony with a fire!) and I invoked the god and goddess before the actual ceremony. and no one who was not pagan was any wiser!
*...happy sigh...* That sounds absolutely lovely. :)

violet rain
September 1st, 2004, 08:39 PM
I was married at the court house me and my hubby thought that would be best. So we got to keep the money and spend it on other things. I personally didn't want a wedding I didn't even want a dress I found it pointless to get something and wear it only once. I don't know I'm just not big on the extravagant weddings.

Stardevil
September 1st, 2004, 09:24 PM
I would nto say conventiomal for my wedding.. I got married in a bar ( well private club) by the justice of the peace. And then I had a handfasting that my hubby surprised me with for our anniversary..