PDA

View Full Version : Candles

Yvonne Belisle
February 27th, 2001, 07:04 AM
I thought the thread name would give it away:D How detailed do you want? Do you want to know from harvesting the berries or from blocks of wax at the craft store? I can go each way on this if you would like. I really enjoy making them. As to what you would add that is special well that would depend on the use. Candles are fun and can be made in a lot of things and in a lot of forms. My Mother made ones that came out of molds and ones in soda fountain glasses that looked ready to drink. I like to use the metal molds or large shells or even sand to make my molds. Sometimes I like to hand dip them. I don't do the carved ones so I can't help there but if you learn the basics then that is much easier. I can even tell you ways to place pressed flowers or papers with sayings or spells on them. Making them just gives you so much variety in what you can do. There is a lot of info I can give so it's up to you to send me in the direction you want.

eaglewolf
February 27th, 2001, 08:13 AM
We will take it any way we can get it...

...teach away Yvonne.

~ew

Yvonne Belisle
February 27th, 2001, 08:40 AM
Well anyone who is going to make candles needs some basic supplies.

1) An old pot large enough for a can to fit inside (coffee can) A double boiler will work too.

2) A candy thermometer this is actually not nessesary but much safer. Wax has a flash point.

3) Wick material. You can get this by the spool or by smaller pieces. I personally don't like the metal filled.

4) Wax. You can buy this by the block at most craft stores.

5) Hardener. Makes better candles.

OPTIONAL:

6) Molds

7) Dye

8) Fragrence

9) Rub and Buff Paints

10) 1" paintbrush

The optional items really depend on what you want to do with the candles. Molds can be as simple as a bucket of sand. Dyes are best purchased at the craft store or online a good substitute is crayons but you need alot! Fragrence is a personal choice. Rub and Buff is a great paint for working on candles with and they have a lot of metalics. The paintbrush is for if you want to apply something to the outside of the candle.

*** If you are melting wax NEVER leave it or turn away from it with it on the heat even for a minute. The flashpoint can be reached quickly and it will flame up fast. Although pretty I wouldn't reccomend it. :)

Yvonne Belisle
February 27th, 2001, 08:42 AM
Sorry about the spelling errors my spell check got dumped :(

belladonna23
February 27th, 2001, 12:34 PM
Thank you sooooo much for starting this thread! I just love using candles and incense. I have been thinking for a long time that my rituals would be more special if I made my own candles.
I have purchased some supplies- molds, a funny metal pitcher to melt the wax in (it has a handle and a spout- I'm a walking accident, LOL), color, essential oils, beeswax and parrafin wax. I'm jumping out of my skin wanting to get started!!
Could you give me some basic directions including the temperature I want to heat the wax to, etc.? I would really appreciate it!!
I can't tell you how excited I was when I got up this morning and found this thread!! I love you guys!! :D

Semele
February 27th, 2001, 01:20 PM
I can get into this thread!!! ME luvs candles!!!

For those of you who don't want to go all out and spend loads of cash just starting out there are quite a few short cuts. For instance we used some string we got from the local Wal-Mart in the sports department. I think it was kite string maybe. Anyway it was a big roll for about $1.50. It works great for hand dipped variety..not so great for poured or mold candles. For those I really like the wicks with zinc core. They just stand up better!! LOL!!!

In the canning section at the grocery store there is a 1 lb box of parafin wax called Gulf wax that works great. And a great cheap way to color candles is with crayons. just be sure they are fairly new or else no matter how much scent you add it will smell like an old crayon box.

For hand dipped ones I like to have a long slender glass that I fill with wax and sit in the pan of water to keep it melted. Then I like another tall glass filled with cool water. Just dip in wax and then in water and before you know it... instant candle.

Yvonne, hope I didn't step on your toes, I just get into candle making. I can't wait to hear more from you.

Semele

rantnraven
February 27th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Me luv candle 2.

What about starting with the Berries?

Also, the "flash point", if you use a Pot-in-Pot sort of boiler, is this really an issue?

By the way, Semele, me luv the smell of old Crayola box too. Although scented is nice.

BB,
-T

Naillosotarrain
February 27th, 2001, 08:18 PM
This is Yvonne not Naillosotarrain.:D I need to get offline so I din't bother switching it over. My toes aren't stepped on.:) I use a large can instead of a pot to melt my wax in I also take a few unsafe shortcuts that I will not recommend. I've been around this stuff so long I don't use the thermometer anymore I will have to look up the flash temp for you. When melting my wax I also shave it with a potato peeler. I get a faster melt that way but it's time consuming. Are the molds being used plastic or metal? There are sprays available to make the candles easier to get out of metal molds I don't use them but I think you should know that they are out there. As to wicks it's all a matter of personal preference experiment it's fun.:D If you want to take a go at it without the thermometer just keep a good eye on it as the wax melts. Keep something that would spop a grease fire nearby and you'll be fine. I have never had the wax burn but there is always a first. If you are using plastic 2 piece molds I recomend a bucket of sand to place the molds in.
BASIC STEPS
Melt the wax in your double boiler or substitute device ie can, metal pitcher ect.
Slowly add your choice of color into the wax remember it will be diluted in the wax. Take a look at the color blocks in stores for an idea if you are using crayons.
Add scent do this slowly the scent will be softer as the candle hardens.
Add hardner according to the directions on the package.
Pour into your mold. The mold needs to be left alone in a nondrafty spot. As the wax hardens it will leave a small well at the base of the candle. You can fill this after the candle hardens.

If you want to add stones add them after you have poured the candle. Where they land depends on the candle and how you have poured it. If you want them at the bottom and you have a bottom up mold don't fill it all the way. When it is close to done place the stones then pour more wax over them. otherwise simply drop them carefully into your mold.

If you want to have pressed flowers on the sides you will need the paintbrush and some noncolored wax. Do you remember decoupage? You use the melted wax as glue and varnish. Just paint it on with the paint brush.

More later. I will post how to harvest waxberries as well. Sorry guys my spellchecker isn't loading and I need to go.

mol
February 27th, 2001, 11:09 PM
Yvonne, just a note for you...all you have to do is log off of your account here and then log in as you...you dont have to disconnect your dialup or anything..

Yvonne Belisle
February 28th, 2001, 08:17 AM
We have been having slews of trouble getting on the boards during the day lag can take 30minutes or more to load a page if it will load. We didn't want to chance it.

Yvonne Belisle
February 28th, 2001, 08:23 AM
I don't know all of the places that waxberries grow in but I know that they are back east. You want to harvest the berries then place them in simmering water. That will melt the waxy coating on the berries. It takes a lot and I mean a lot of berries to do this. Let the wax harden then lift off of the water or you can skim the berries out. If you harden it first you will have to melt and strain the wax later. I've never had the patience to do this so I don't know what color your wax willl be I asume a white type color. You would then either use the wax then or solidify it into a block or cake for later use. There are a lot of things you can do with wax and most of it is fun. :) Just remember to be careful hot wax clings to skin until it hardens which is pretty quick but also painful.

Kaylara
February 28th, 2001, 12:15 PM
Yvonne~
What do the waxberries look like? What does the plant look like? This way I can harvest some for myself!

Thanks,

Kaylara

Yvonne Belisle
February 28th, 2001, 12:21 PM
I am checking to see if I can find a pic on the net. The last time I saw them I was a kid. I may need to ask my mother for the scientific name of the plant. I'll post asap.

Yvonne Belisle
February 28th, 2001, 12:56 PM
OUCH!!! I just found them on the net I feel sheepish that I forgot them considering I forgot to think of my history. Bayberries also known as candleberries or waxberries. I should have remembered because I have always liked the scent and colonial candles were known for smelling like .... you guessed it bayberries! It was a piece of trivia I knew but brainfarted on the info. Oh well just reminds me I'm human! Lets see if I can get us a pic. If you know birds the waxwing is very fond of these berries. http://bluehen.ags.udel.edu/udbg/shrubs/images/cd3_0009.gif The link is for the shrub's picture I'm fetching one for the berries. OK I'll try that later lag time I have sat for 8 minutes trying to load a search engine page. sorry.

Kaylara
March 1st, 2001, 01:50 PM
Thank you... I recognize the plant now!

Kaylara

skysteed
March 21st, 2001, 05:59 PM
This is a CAUTION. If using the zinc core wicks for candle making it's been medically noted and publicized on TV. The zinc is extremely toxic to some ( no, a lot of people) if they burn candles a lot. IE: aromatherapy. High levels of zinc have been found in these people with a wide range of symptoms including reduced memory retention. My suggestion is to use the plain wicks with no zinc or lead core.
There's my tip for the day.

rantnraven
March 21st, 2001, 06:05 PM
I must be using Zinc core...

What were we talking about here?

Think I'll have some lemonade.

*grin*

Thanks for the heads-up.

RnR

Aventurine
March 21st, 2001, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by skysteed
My suggestion is to use the plain wicks with no zinc or lead core.

Which, when purchasing candles, are always more expensive than the ones with metal cores - but in the interests of keeping it cheap, generally I just go ahead and buy the candles, replacing the bad wicks when I get home. Why? Because Martha [Stewart] said so!

- Aventurine

skysteed
March 22nd, 2001, 12:23 AM
Actually, the candles that are notorious are the scented candles. Oddly enough they are the expnsive ones in boutiques and fancy high priced stores. It's easy enoough to check candles to see if they have a zinc core or not. Seperate the top of the wick. If it has a core it is visible.

Dextra
March 24th, 2001, 07:23 PM
Yvonne, by any chance did you ever find out what the flash point temperature for the wax is? I have all my stuff together for making my candles, but I don't want to chance blowing up my kitchen ;) until I know for sure.
Thanks!

Niamh
March 24th, 2001, 08:35 PM
And if you have birds as pets, most candles are lethal! My best friend has some great birds and she can only burn un-bleached, natural colored bees wax candles with a cotton core-free wick. Because of her, that's mainly what I use too... just because the articles she gave me sounded pretty scary.

Yvonne Belisle
March 29th, 2001, 05:44 AM
I should be packing my craft books this weekend I'll look then but as long as you take it off the heat or switch to warm once it's melted you should be ok. I've never had a problem but I've noticed the Gods like to have fun with those that think they have everything covered.

Yvonne Belisle
June 8th, 2001, 04:53 PM
bump

MystyPines
June 10th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Merry Meet everyone!

I have a question. Currently I make very smooth glossy finish style pillar candles, I was wondering how do I make my candles rustic looking?

Bright Blessings!

Silver Venus
June 19th, 2001, 08:06 AM
Hi all :D

Hi Mysty!! I cant aswer your question because I havent made any candles yet ~ but thanks to this thread!! I am now toally inspired and will soon be trying out my first candles!

If I may ~ Ive also got a question ~ Over in the Tarot forum weve loved these candles which are sold on this site

Tarot Aromatherapy Candles
http://www.sun-angel.com/emporium/z...dles/tarot.html

and Dagda and I was wondering how we would make them oursleves?
Is it possible to be lazy and just photocopy our favourite Tarot card and then stick it on a bought candle? This way will the paper burn with the candle?

I know its allot better to make them yourself (and now Im inspired I will try little candle first) ~ but does the paper still burn down with the candle? or do you have to do something special to the paper first?

MystyPines
June 19th, 2001, 04:06 PM
Hi Silver Venus!

About the Tarot Candles, I also have purchased that brand, I have the "Strength" candle, but you should remove any wrapper around it, and also the bottom caution label before burning any candle. I also have purchased candles that place herbs in them, and sometimes they can be quite dangerous, they burn incorrectly and I have had the whole candle catch on fire.

:)

Yvonne Belisle
June 19th, 2001, 06:38 PM
OK I missed that anyone had added to this thread I'm sorry. First to make them a bit more rustic try using a paintbrish with wax on them. it will change the appearence you canplace about anything on the outside of a candle.
For the cards you use the same tecnique as placing dried flowers or cinnamon sticks or regular sticks ect.... paint the area on the candle to apply decoration with melted wax quickly place item and hold it in place. You will then paint over it if it's something thin like paper or dried flowers with more melted wax. If you have ever done decopage you have the basics. In effect you are using melted wax instead of glue. thin paper is best on a thin candle if you wish to use an actual card use a thicker candle.
I have been told that it is basicly the same to put a decal on soap but with melted soap. You have to ask Wildchild that one.

Yvonne Belisle
June 19th, 2001, 10:24 PM
Just found this list on candle colors and meanings thought I'd give you something to think on.

Red-Love, passion, energy, courage

Orange-Strength, authority, success, joy

Yellow-Clairvoyance, learning, mind

Green-Healing, money, prosperity, fertility

Blue-Healing, meditation, tranquility

Purple-Spirituality, wisdom, psychic power

White-Protection, peace, purity, truth

Pink -Emotional love, friendships, affection

Black-Destruction of negative energy

Lavender -Intuition, dignity, spiritual shield

Peach-Gentle strength, joy

Silver Blue-Awareness, meditation, moon, creativity

Silver Venus
June 20th, 2001, 05:25 AM
Thank you so much Mysty and Yvonne!! :D
Thats so neat how you can stick the paper on with wax and then paint over it!
I hope you both dont mind ~ Im going to quote your tips in the Tarot forum under Tarot candles.

I made it to the shops yesterday and bought all my candle ingredients ~ except the dried herbs but I figure I can practice with just Essential Oils first. & Im going to print out the Star Tarot card and have a go at sticking it on a big purple pillar candle that I got for christmas and havent used yet ~ so Ill be busy this weekend :D

Thanks again, Big hugs :sunny:

MystyPines
June 20th, 2001, 11:23 AM
Thanks Yvonne!

So after I have made the candles, I will melt plain wax (no color?) and brush it along the outside of the candle?

:)

Yvonne Belisle
June 20th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Yes no color. It will be a little opaque but not too bad bright colors are best if you want a really bright picture.

Angel
June 20th, 2001, 11:13 PM
Thanks for this info Yvonne. i bought a candlemaking kit a while back but have had trouble starting. So thanks for the hints.

Sunday's Child
June 28th, 2001, 09:29 AM
Thanks Yvonne for all the great information. Tell me is it the same using beeswax as using paraffin? Do you have to do anything different?
Can you tell me what stearic acid is and what it is used for?

Andromeda
July 19th, 2001, 06:49 PM
Here is something I tried, and it actully worked pretty well...
I discovered this one day while making candles because I didn't want to get wax on my moms pot.

Get strong ziplock bags, and place the wax and whatnot in. Seal it up and stick the bad in a pot of boiling water. When the wax melts, pore into the mold.

Don't make the water too hot...just hot enough to melt the wax. I thought it would melt the bag....but it didn't...

Blessings
Andromeda

Yvonne Belisle
July 19th, 2001, 11:41 PM
The acid is used to make the wax stronger and smoother. It takes out the little lines and some of the mini bubbles. I prefere beeswax but they are both good and fun. You can use them interchangably. The idea with the bag is wonderful we always used a can in the pot but a bag makes just as much sense I think I'll try that one.