PDA

View Full Version : does anyone???

Nyah*
August 20th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Since this is about fitness and stuff, I have a question about it.

I know nothng about Tai-chi, Reiki, magic weightloss spells...but since you guys live in North America alike, (or respective countries), does anyone have any actual weightloss contraptions out there?
(ie: Bowflex machine, Total Gym, Ab-master...)
Have you used any of these products and/or what have you heard about them?

mol
August 21st, 2001, 09:50 AM
Well...I personally dont think any of these things can take the place of a gym.

BUT.

I have looked long and hard at the bowflex and it looks like a great machine and very comparable. In fact, when Semele and I start to build our house...we are going to buy a bowflex for our gym/pool area.

http://www.bowflex.com

Myst
August 21st, 2001, 01:03 PM
My mom has a stationary bike at home, that's about it. Oh and I want to get a punching bag when we get our own place. My hubby just goes to the gym 4 days a week anyway :)

Lucidia
August 21st, 2001, 02:50 PM
my hubby wants a bowflex. he drools on the TV when the infomercials come on.

snappyglitz
August 28th, 2001, 08:36 PM
i am a physical trainer and have been utilizing Bowflex for the past 6 years. Got my first machine under duress, as my business partner just had to have one! i spent 11 years in television and i said..."Go ahead, get it...i know what kind of crap is hawked onTV first hand!"

Well i ate those words! i have 90 pound ice skaters and 300 pound ball players and they all just love Bowflex! i have found that it does EVERYTHING that the TV promo says it does and with a 6 week "all your money back" guarantee.

If you want , you can visit me at my facility online at www.allstressedup.com. I even have a client that sold his home and purchased an RV to tour the USA for the next 12 months. He equiped it with a Bowflex, so he can workout in the wilderness!!

luv u guys a bunch!

Blue Shadow
August 29th, 2001, 08:22 PM
I've always been curious about the Bowflex machine. I have a complete but crowded workout room and was wondering if the Bowflex would take up less space, but . . .
the routines I do now are cycle routines where I try to switch from exercise to exercise with as close to zero time as possible. How long does it take to switch setups on a Bowflex compared to a multistation cable machine? My apologies if I'm starting to stray from the thread; this is the first time I've run into some people familiar with the Bowflex.

snappyglitz
August 29th, 2001, 10:46 PM
i set Bowflex up according to seat position, ie: incline bench, flat bench, or no bench. I have a series of exercises that feature one particular bench position. I teach my clients to perform those exercises in a "bundle", then go to the next bench position for that set of exercises and so on. This cuts down on the machine adjustments, even though one position to the other is very quick.

mythril
August 30th, 2001, 01:51 AM
Wow, i just took a look at bowflex.
What a weird looking contraption :)
must b able to do hundreds of exercises with it.

Ive got a gymtrim at home , and gues what.... i never use it.
can't stand it. but this looks interesting.

loopy
August 30th, 2001, 09:24 AM
I've had that Ab Slide -- at least I think that's what it's called-- shows you how much I use it. 8O It's the one advertised all over, the little machine that you put on the ground with your hands on either side and slide back and forth?

Well, anyway. I would say that it's really effective-- as in, my nonexistant abs were in torturous pain later in the day that I used it. However, I had real problems keeping my back arched, so it was a real strain on my back and I had to eventually stop. But I think if you can handle the back thing, it would be a really good workout.

Now, the Ab-Flex is sitting in our garage keeping the dust company-- anyone familiar with it? :)

Ooh, and I too want a punching bag, sooo badly.

snappyglitz
August 30th, 2001, 07:18 PM
Bowflex is Awesome even if it is strange...hey, so are artichokes!

there are about 70 exercises you can perform and the best part is that you can achieve results by working out 20 minutes 3 times per week! in six weeks you WILL see an even better you in the mirror!

I know, i use it with my clients every day and we get results every day! EZ to use, very difficult to "cheat" as your muscles tire and indeed virtually no way to hurt yourself on this machine (unless you stand in the path of the power rods). WHACK!!! OUCH!!!

I am a certified physical trainer and all of you blessed friends are welcome to visit me at my site www.allstressedup.com. You have all been so amazing and giving during my first year on the path!

luv all of you
snappyglitz

mythril
August 31st, 2001, 01:31 AM
ive got a big red punching bag.
one day i felt very energetic and bought it on impulse.
im sad to say that i havent really used it yet.

bought gloves or rather mits with it and they dont keep the hands from scratching against the bag.
I was practicing some punches and after about fifteen minutes,
i took my hands out of the gloves and they were bleeding a bit.

Not again i tell ya .:)

mb i should get better gloves.

Blue Shadow
August 31st, 2001, 06:37 AM
If you can learn a few martial arts kicks, try using it as a kicking bag. Working the large muscle groups in the legs can make for a good workout or stress relief. Even bare feet can take a lot more abrasion that your knuckles.

Blue Shadow
August 31st, 2001, 06:51 AM
Getting back to the initial post, I have a Nordic Trak cross country ski machine. I really like it for aerobic work since it works both arms and legs. I've had it and actually used it for years (well, at least for those periods of time when I was in exercise mode). It also makes for a great warm-up before weightlifting. The only drawback, like any aerobic machine, is that it gets boring. You can't really read while you use it because you're bouncing up and down. That leaves me with listening to music. One of these days I have to get a TV and a VCR for the room it's in and see if that will help.

Dellit Tandannon
August 31st, 2001, 12:32 PM
i have a treadmill. i need to use it more often, but my smoker's lungs just can't handle it :woah:
i smoked marlboro's for six years but for the past month or so i've been smoking in an effort to get my body used to less and less nicotine because i am determined to quit.