PDA

View Full Version : Question re: mourning

Yvonne Belisle
February 27th, 2001, 08:03 AM
My ex claimed to be a Druid I say claimed because I can find nothing in his personal beliefs that felt true. Normally something I hear will sound true or false even if it isn't right for me. What I want to know is when our friend died my ex braided one of his sideburns then ripped it out to place in our friends hand. I have had the feeling that this was done for effect. Am I right or is it a true practice among Druids? He also taught a young man I know who has since learned that what he was taught was lies. I am rather concerned about learning the truth because I don't want him to trick someone into letting him be their teacher if he teaches lies. Also do any of the Druidic traditions that you know of have specific ages to cut a persons hair? He has made that claim to. Since we have a child in common I need to learn if he was making stuff up or not so I know what to tell my son as he grows older about his fathers path. If my ex lied I will simply tell my son I don't know what his fathers true path was. However if he was following a path I owe it to him to learn so I can answer our sons questions. Please help by answering this long winded plea. :S

Maggie
February 27th, 2001, 09:28 PM
I have to say I've never heard of anything like this. The only guess I might make is something based on the Fianna, which was an Irish warrior band. Are there any other pieces of information you remember that might help me figure out where to look?

Maggie

Yvonne Belisle
February 27th, 2001, 10:20 PM
I know that he claimed to be a pict. Does that help any?

Maggie
February 28th, 2001, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Yvonne Thomas
I know that he claimed to be a pict. Does that help any?

Yes and no. <sorry!> The thing is that there isn't a whole lot of historical information about the Picts, and what is known is often 'enlarged' upon rather elaborately. I looked around the Web a bit tonight (you've got me curious!) and found a very few places that seemed to be trying to use Pictish background for their pathway. Do you remember hearing a name like Bran Mak Morn? The ones I did find were based more on general celtic stuff rather than entirely on Picts. Even more they seemed to involve a warrior path.

One thing you need to remember is that you are not responsible for another's actions. The consequences of what your ex teaches are his alone. As for your son, simply telling him that his father's path is one you don't understand yourself is the simple truth.

I'll keep looking!

Regards,

Maggie

Yvonne Belisle
February 28th, 2001, 09:02 AM
He did claim a warrior path and I think the God was Luge??? He was a god of the forge, death and war? I think I remember that right and I know I have misspelled his name but I went for pronunciation it sounded like Huge but with an l. Thank you for looking into this I din't know where to start. He did say that they had their first haircut at 3 then again at 7 then 13 then never again. I'm at a loss.

Twig
February 28th, 2001, 10:40 AM
Dearest Sister Yvonne. Sorry I took so long to reply but, being there is a child involved, I wanted to check ALL the references I have before answering.

I can now say that what he did and said was part of NO KNOWN major druidic organization and,they have no historical reference [and neither do I] of anything CLOSE to that EVER being done!

I don't know what type of grove he belonged to but [!THIS IS PERSONAL OPINION!] keep your child as far away from them as possible! Tearing their sideburns out!!? That is not ritual but, a form of self mutalation. There is nothing "druid" or "Celtic" about it. [In fact the only religion I can think of that has ANY reference to a mans sideburns is the Hassidic Jews].

As to the cutting of hair? Again,no historical reference or precedent to be had on the subject.

So Mother,take your son to your bosom and protect him. With the force of LAW, should the need arise. For children are precious and blessed in the sights of the Gods. :)
Peace,
Twig

Yvonne Belisle
February 28th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Thank you! I wanted to follow my feelings but where emotion is involved sometimes we hear what we want to hear instead of what the spirits intend us to hear. I needed to ask and be sure. I didn't want my emotions to color my instinct now I know I'm right. No one I've asked has been able to shed any light on this issue. I felt at the time of our friends death that it was a show for him. He waited till we were all gathered in the room ripped out the small braid placed it in our dead friends hand then ran from the room. It struck me then as not feeling right but I was hurting from loss. Right now he knows where we are but as of April we will be gone and he won't know where. If he should find us I will only let him see his son in a controled setting as he expressed regret over not kidnapping his other son from his mother. I will definitly take steps to protect my youngest. I just in many ways wish I could have been wrong. I now have the challenge of raising a child who will not see his father and keeping that child from hate and resentment. Oh well I have practice. Thank you to all of you for looking for this information for me. Should anything else come up please contact me in any way you can.

Maggie
February 28th, 2001, 12:54 PM
He did claim a warrior path and I think the God was Luge??? He was a god of the forge, death and war? I think I remember that right and I know I have misspelled his name but I went for pronunciation it sounded like Huge but with an l. Thank you for looking into this I din't know where to start. He did say that they had their first haircut at 3 then again at 7 then 13 then never again. I'm at a loss.

That's probably Lugh, an Irish god, but the attributes aren't entirely right. What this sounds like is a mix of Irish, Norse, and whatever they call Pictish. It's probably just a small group, I haven't heard of this kind of thing before. It's not druidic, and most likely not even pure celtic, as I said. I wouldn't worry about the braid business, they might do that in their group, and funerals are emotionally tricky, your ex might simply have done that because he couldn't express himself any other way.

As far as your son goes--just tell him you don't know much about it, it's the truth. I did see one website last night claiming some Pict and warrior beliefs along with the Ferie tradition that was rather dark. I would do as Twig said, and you've already said, be very careful about how much and under what conditions your son sees his father. I didn't much like some of what I found last night, and since he's already made that statement I would be very careful.

Regards,

Maggie

Yvonne Belisle
February 28th, 2001, 01:23 PM
Thank you for looking. I posted a pic of Michael in here so you could see my little one. He's now almost 4 with hair past his shoulderblades. His eyes are very unique depending on the angle they appear brown, green and rarely a golden shade with a grey cast. :D He's the smallest of my 4 priceless treasures.

Maggie
February 28th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Thank you for looking. I posted a pic of Michael in here so you could see my little one. He's now almost 4 with hair past his shoulderblades. His eyes are very unique depending on the angle they appear brown, green and rarely a golden shade with a grey cast. :D He's the smallest of my 4 priceless treasures.

They always are, no matter how old they get! Mine are 19 and 23, and my daughter and my son are both so tall I have to get up on a step to yell at them! But I still remember when they were small.......

Maggie