PDA

View Full Version : Pagan parent workshop

Seshen
August 30th, 2004, 04:58 PM
I've just signed on to do a pagan parenting workshop at our San Antonio Pagan Pride Day in September. Suggestions for content solicited. What types of things would you like to see covered at this type of workshop? NOTE: This is parent-oriented, NOT a forum for new children's activities.

Possible ideas: Public school and pagan children; dealing with school admin and other children. Creating a child's personal altar. How do you explain the God/Goddess idea, and prepare them for dissenting opinions? Ways to bring spirituality into daily life without feeling you are "indoctrinating" your child.

Note: Things that won't be included: Arts/crafts & kids' games; I suck at anything artsy/crafty. The Sabbats; not all pagans celebrate them, at least not the same way.

Ravyn Sylverwyng
September 1st, 2004, 07:10 PM
I would suggest to the parents that they wait to see if the children show an interest in it. I have a seven year old daughter that is showing interest, and I will start to educate her now, but as far as my sons go, I will wait and let them choose their own path. I think that is the most important thing. Let the child choose what is right for them, even if it isn't the same as the parents.

Fairyelf
September 1st, 2004, 07:55 PM
thats great advice,
thats how I feel as well,
I have 3 kids.

Seshen
September 8th, 2004, 09:32 PM
I would suggest to the parents that they wait to see if the children show an interest in it. I have a seven year old daughter that is showing interest, and I will start to educate her now, but as far as my sons go, I will wait and let them choose their own path. I think that is the most important thing. Let the child choose what is right for them, even if it isn't the same as the parents.

Well, that would make for a very short workshop. The idea is to figure out how to RAISE them pagan, not how to not teach them anything. :hmmmmm:

Seshen
September 8th, 2004, 09:33 PM
thats great advice,
thats how I feel as well,
I have 3 kids.

It's nice advice, but doesn't give me any actual material to work with.

Bansheekisses
September 17th, 2004, 12:02 PM
Me and my boyfriend both agreed that when we DO have children, that it will be brought up that I am Pagan and what my beliefs are.
I would like them to know what Herbs are used for ect, but if they choose to not fallow the same path as me, that would be alright to. We agreed that if they choose to fallow this path at the age of 8 if they choose to take workshops ect about it that is fine.
I want my family to have what i did not... Freewill on what they believe or dont. You see, my bf is Athiest so we have to do things the UNCONVENTIONAL way anyways.
Though he is interested in my beliefs and has joined in on many of my activities because i do or was interested in them. He even admitted to liking them.
Hes a very logical person, what he cant see, he doesnt rule out as not being there, but simply wont confirm or deny it.

MorningDove030202
September 17th, 2004, 12:10 PM
I would like to see a workshop that teaches Pagan Groups how to be more family friendly..... It realy wouldn't hurt if more groups had family friend events, and had a baby safe place with toy box and some coloring books and crayons.... or even how to arange baby sitting, how to take turns with members of a coven watching the kids, or even how to plan and run a "moonday" school.

Also, some pratical info on dealing with schools, teachers, the grandparetns, and legal smarts would be good. Oh and homeschooling ......
Dove

LisaT4P
September 18th, 2004, 10:19 PM
It might be nice to include a section on how to answer some of the more difficult questions children ask:

What happens when we die?
If we are reincarnated will I still be ME?
My friend said God made the grass, did He?
Why can't I talk about our circle with my friends?
Why can't I wear my pentacle/pentagram/goddess symbol (you get the idea) at school?
Are you a witch, Mommy?

It might be a good idea to ask how the parents at the workshop deal with these issues.

Maybe you can have a "hat" or something into which they can put their specific question at the beginning and you can pull out a different question and have discussions about it throughout the workshop. I find I learn most when things are interactive. :)

Seshen
September 19th, 2004, 12:29 PM
It might be nice to include a section on how to answer some of the more difficult questions children ask:

It might be a good idea to ask how the parents at the workshop deal with these issues.

Maybe you can have a "hat" or something into which they can put their specific question at the beginning and you can pull out a different question and have discussions about it throughout the workshop. I find I learn most when things are interactive. :)

thanks, hon, but the workshop was yesterday. Went very well.

MorningDove030202
September 19th, 2004, 08:33 PM
So what did you do your workshop on? I liked the questions in a hat idea... I might have to try that sometime.......

Dove

asamananara
September 20th, 2004, 01:07 AM
One topic I would love to see addressed is "The Magic of Youth:
learning from our children". I firmly believe that kids are
born pagan; that is, that we are each born with an innate sense
of magic and natural spirituality. Free from contrived belief
systems and cultural indoctrination, our children have a closer
relationship to the divine than we might realize; they've alot
to teach us, if we're willing to listen. Rather than focusing
on imposing an artifical structure on their innocent mysticism,
we'd all be better off by encouraging their own magical world-view,
and incorporating their ideas into our own practices. Magic, in
my opinion, isn't something you learn. It's something you remember.
Our children can help each of us do just that.

LisaT4P
September 20th, 2004, 08:23 AM
thanks, hon, but the workshop was yesterday. Went very well.*smacks forehead* Just goes to show you that I should check dates before I post. :D What topics did you cover?

Autumn Eryn
September 26th, 2004, 08:37 PM
It's nice advice, but doesn't give me any actual material to work with.

What about doing a panel or a group participation portion where parents share how they raise their children in the craft instead of "teaching" them the craft? Or present ways that parents can do it, or a combination? Does that help?

Autumn