PDA

View Full Version : Cats may carry the bird flu virus

CloakofStars9
September 3rd, 2004, 12:19 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3620532.stm

The bird flu virus that can kill humans has the potential to be spread by cats, scientists have found.

It had been thought that domestic cats were resistant to diseases caused by influenza A viruses - one of which, H5N1, is responsible for avian flu. The disease killed at least 20 people in Asia earlier this year, and forced farmers to cull almost 200m birds.

Shanti
September 3rd, 2004, 12:46 PM
I stay on top of the bird flu because I have chickens...there is more than one strain of bird flu. The most common stains dont infect people but do reak havic on the chickens and they have to all be killed to prevent the spead. The strain that infects human is rare. We have had the bird flu in the states. But we have not had the kind that can infect man..not yet. The Asian is terribly full of bird flu, the one thats deadly to man included.
Its a frightening situation as wild birds can carry the bird flu's all over the globe. An epidemic, if the flu's mutate, that could be of deadly threat to humans is a possibility. Some believe its only a matter or time.

mara
September 3rd, 2004, 01:06 PM
I have been noticing a lot of dead crows lately..It probably isn't related, but it seems out of the ordinary. I was excited to find some crows feathers in my front yard and picked them up..I later thought better of it and threw them out. I think we have West Nile in Washington now, but I'm not positive..we have mosquitos that's for sure, and there's no way to avoid being lunch for them.

Gwenhwyfar
September 3rd, 2004, 01:32 PM
I saw three dead crows all together with their feet stickin strait up just the other day, and Iv never seen a dead crow here in my life...that west nile and stuff like it scares me big time! *shudders