PDA

View Full Version : Getting ready to start potty-training

aluokaloo
September 4th, 2004, 02:45 PM
I think my daughter is ready to start potty-training soon, she has started taking off her diapers, and at one point she told me "I need toilet" or atleast in her own little lingo. Is anyone willing to share tips and advice? :fpeace: :bubbles:

faerieridingdragons
September 4th, 2004, 07:46 PM
The best bit of advice given me by our baby doctor was to let them do it at their own rate and don't try to force them,but you sound as if you're doing that already.So I guess all I can say is: Congrats!My little one wasn't ready till he was 4 and 1/2.One day he just looked at me and said he needed to go potty,we put in undies right then and never looked back.Since then he has only had 3-4 accidents and no problems with wetting the bed,thank goodness.Good Luck,and again Congratulations!

Valkie
September 4th, 2004, 08:02 PM
well, I've been told that girls are easier than boys... don't know, I've had all boys. :D

One thing that I always did when they were ready to potty train was good bye diapers... at least during the day. First couple of days they ran around the house with no pants on, we cleaned up whatever accidents together.. eventually, they got the hang of things

Stardevil
September 5th, 2004, 12:53 AM
Wish I could help you honey I have a son and I am tellign you with boys cheerios were the best darn thing invented when potty training him.. Good luck and remember do not push her too hard it could scare her away from it

Valkie
September 5th, 2004, 06:39 PM
Great suggestion!! kids love targets! I remember reading somewhere that one mom had gotten tracing paper and drawn bullseyes on them. she put them in the toilet when he had to go so he had something to shoot at.... wait a minute... you have a girl... that wouldn't work, would it.

One other thing that I did was set up a sticker chart. Every time they made it to the toilet, they got a sticker. If they got to a goal, I gave them a treat.

Stardevil
September 5th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Sticker charts worked for a friend of mines daughter but that is all dependant on age there... SOme kids liek stickers or you can take them out for a small treat after they go in the potty consecutively .. ANother thing ASK them if they have to go do nto force them to go .. when you amek them go they get this defiant look in their face and do things jsut to make you mad.. or at least my son did.. BUT if you ask and always give positive praise ( even if they have an accident give a TON of reassurance that accidents happen) Having th epostive backing helps self confidence and makes them want to try even harder.

OriginalWacky
September 6th, 2004, 10:02 PM
It sounds like you are already doing the most important thing. Don't push! When they are ready, it will happen naturally. My son was just over 4 when he finally decided that it was time, and once he started, he didn't have accidents. We had a potty available from the time he was around 18 months, and he used it sometimes when I was going on the big person potty, but it was hit or miss (not literally LOL).

My daughters trained together, though the younger was 15 months younger. I would just let them come in while I used the big potty, and if they wanted to try, they could. I never once tried to talk them into it. As they got more used to not going in a daiper, I also got them used to using the big potty, so that if we were out and a small chair wasn't available, they wouldn't be too scared to go.

For some girls, if they sit straddling the toilet backwards, they can hold on, and feel more comfortable using a regular toilet. My friend used this method, and her kids never did use a potty chair. Whatever works for you is what's best. According to everything I've heard or read, the less pressure you put on them, the easier it is.

I just never made it a big deal. They could go or wear daipers, it was up to them, and I never got angry with them for messing pants. The girls had an accident here and there, mostly from being outside playing and not making it inside in time. We would rinse out their panties together, and put them to soak in a very mild bleach solution for me to wash later. I really think that not getting angry made it much easier for them.

Some people have wonderful luck with pullups, using them as a transition between regular daipers and underwear. I used them with my son for a few weeks before he decided that he was too big for that.

Oh, one more thing, make sure you teach her how to wipe properly. As awkward it may be, you might have to show her how to do it several times so that she is as clean as possible. You probably know this, but it's best to wipe front to back. (I hope you don't think I am implying that you are dumb or anything, just trying to give every detail I can.) I also made sure to teach all my kidss the actual names for their body parts, as it can help immensely if there is ever a problem "down there". Rather than a general vague thing, my kids can all tell me exactly what is bothering, if it's an itch, or pain, or what, and use the proper name. It's been helpful especially when my daughter had a bladder infection.

Okay, now that I've talked about baby parts and bodily functions way too much, I'll shut up.

aluokaloo
September 8th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Thats good advice from you guys, and no Wacky I don't think your implying that I'm dumb, you just like to be thorough. I've been thinking about the pullups and right now we are searching for a potty chair. They have ones with handles that actually sit right on the toilet, my grandma is pushing for a um talking and singing potty chair and while my daghter isn't afriad of much, that might spook her, or delight her. Thanks for the good advice guys. :floating:

OriginalWacky
September 8th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Thats good advice from you guys, and no Wacky I don't think your implying that I'm dumb, you just like to be thorough. I've been thinking about the pullups and right now we are searching for a potty chair. They have ones with handles that actually sit right on the toilet, my grandma is pushing for a um talking and singing potty chair and while my daghter isn't afriad of much, that might spook her, or delight her. Thanks for the good advice guys. :floating:
Personally, I go for what's simple, but that's just me. The one that sits on the toilet is good. I'm glad you understood that I wasn't saying you are dumb or anything. Part of the reason I like to be so thorough is because I know that later someone else who doesn't have a clue might be reading, and it will help them too.

Temair
September 8th, 2004, 09:46 PM
I don't remember much from training my first, but my second decided shortly before she was 3 (and right after we moved and just before my third was born) that she wanted to wear underwear like her sister. I wasn't going to even suggest potty training to her until after the baby was born because we had just moved a couple weeks prior and I didn't want to throw too much at her all at once. But once she decided that was what she wanted, she did it. She did have a few accidents in her playroom, becuase she would just forget to get to the bathroom, but that wasn't too often. For my third, she discovered the joy of being naked when she was 15 months old. After a couple months I told her that she had two options. I was tired of cleaning up after her so she could either learn to use the potty and she could still run around naked, or she could start wearing diapers again. I really didn't care which it was, I didn't really expect her to start using the potty at 17 months old, but she did. She really loves to be naked. She backslid a bit at 21 months when my fourth was born, but not for long. I truly believe that the fact that I used cloth with her helped train her. I am looking forward to this baby training by 2 years, too. I didn't make a big deal out of it, and I had them help me clean up their messes, not in a demeaning way, but in a helpful way, and they didn't mind helping and sometimes would start to clean up before I found out about the accident. So yes, be gentle and patient, and give her lots of praise. (Or let her run around the hosue naked :))

Autumn
September 10th, 2004, 02:35 PM
my experience was mor difficult.

My 3 year old Dd would have gone on using pull ups till her weddding day, the child didn't care!

I took a deep breath,bought tons of undies and decided I would throw them out when she pooped in them and stopped using pull ups, then in combination with taking her to the potty every hour or so I stood her in the corner when she went in her pants...she was 3 and a half and had been dry at night for more than a year...it was inattention on her part and I had to refocus her attention!

Edited to add she was using the potty within a week!