View Full Version : Mouse in the House

September 8th, 2004, 01:22 PM
There is a mouse in our house, and my grandma wants to kill it. Well I told her that I could trap it and set it free outside to which she replied, It could have rabies for all you know or some other disease. I should sick the dogs after it. Oh great if it has a disease she wants to sic the dogs after it, great logical thinking grandma! Well just in case it doesn't, I'm going to set a no-kill trap and set the little squeaker free outside. I don't want to see it killed. Any suggestions on a homemade no-kill mopusetrap? :idea:

September 8th, 2004, 11:38 PM
Well, mice can carry disease--Hanta virus, and bubonic plague come to mind--and the little beasties are destructive. I wonder how many houses burn down any year due to damage to wiring caused by mice chewing on the insulation? And let's not talk about all the stuff the little buggers can destroy chewing, and peeing. I've had mice as pets, and I've also had to deal with the damage one can cause...gotta agree with your grandma on this one, mousie's gotta go!

September 9th, 2004, 09:02 AM
If you really want to go with a no-kill, its cheaper to buy one.
If you set it outside, go far away from homes or the bugger will go back in someones house, a nice place in the country would work, he has the same chance or survival as any other little rodent does.
There is a good chance that since there is one, there are more. An infestation can happen very quickly!!! Mom has babies in 3 weeks and those babies are having babies starting as soon as 8 weeks.

September 9th, 2004, 09:53 AM
With a good no-kill you don't need to touch the mouse, but anything within a mile (city) or 3 miles (country) and it will be back! For hanta etc it is often the droppings you must avoid more than anything else.

September 9th, 2004, 10:00 AM
my kitties take care of our mousies :mmm:

September 9th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Hanta virus is in fecal matterial and urine. You can breath in the virus. It is in the states but is rare.
Plague is very rare, from the fleas of rodents..you must be bit by the flea. There are only 10-15 cases thorought the US each year.

Damage is the biggest concern. Mice do chew on electrical wiring in the walls...a lot!!! They do sometimes cause fires.
The risk of a fire is higher than the risk of getting sick!

And the breeding like I said.
One mouse has 4 female babies and 1 male. In about 8 weeks after birth the 5 females are all preganant...they average 5 mice each...thats 25 babies in 3 more weeks. So from one mouse..in as little as 11 weeks you can have 31 mice from one!!!!

And they are chewing up everythimg in the walls and the floors..making more nest and pooping and peeing everywhere!!!

September 10th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Really? ugh. It ran into the house from the garage, hoping its a male without a mate. So it would be better to send it to meet its mousy maker? Well, thanks guys.

Black RiverWolf
September 10th, 2004, 06:18 PM
the one we had in our house that we caught is in a cage with a box food and water very happy little Grease Rat is. we found him in the deep fryer.