PDA

View Full Version : Gardening question

ladyrowan
August 22nd, 2001, 12:21 PM
Earlier this year I moved a Hypericum Hidcote from my back to my front garden. I know it was the wrong time of year to move it (the buds were just about to bloom!) but it had to be moved from where it was.

I really looked after it well, but it started dying almost straight away, despite my valiant efforts to save it.
For the last month it has been completely dried to a crisp, no sign of life at all.

This afternoon I went to dig it up, still no sign of life, but as i went to pull it up my fingernail scratched the bottom of the stem and it was bright green underneath.

I'm now wondering if i should give it a second chance, a severe prune to get rid of the dead wood, and see if it recovers for next year, or should I replace it with the shrub I just bought to put in its place?

Any opinions please?

Lavender
August 22nd, 2001, 12:50 PM
I would give it a second chance but it depends on how much you liked the original. Sometimes moving a plant can damage the little fine rootlets. It sounds like it's still trying to come back. You can try putting in a pot over winter & planting the new shrub anyway. If you do, be careful lifting the hidcote out of the ground so you don't damage any of the new rootlets. You might want to take the whole rootball...dirt & all. Over the winter, don't forget to water it every so often.

ladyrowan
August 22nd, 2001, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll leave it where it is instead of potting it; it's in a sheltered position and is probably safer than in a pot 'cos i'll forget to water it when it's really cold and frosty!

It's only a year old and was about to bloom for the first time. Something I forgot to do when I replanted it, and something I'd advise anyone else to do is,
if you have to replant something when the buds are about to come out, it's best to cut the buds off so all the energy can go into re-establishing itself instead of trying to support flowers as well.

I'll practice what i preach next time!

BB