PDA

View Full Version : my poor fish

Evenstar
September 13th, 2004, 01:28 PM
I bought a beta fish two days ago and he won't eat anything. I was pretty sure he had Ick on his fins so i bought him some medication, which said he should be cured in 24 hours......but it hasn't worked. All I know is that I have to get him to eat somehow. Does anyone have any advice?? :sniffsnif

OriginalWacky
September 13th, 2004, 02:35 PM
What are you trying to feed him? Many bettas don't like flaked food, or pellets. Have you tried dried tubifex? What about live worms, or maybe frozen ones? Ick with bettas can be tough to deal with, and there might not be anything you can do for him if it's to the point of being visible.

Evenstar
September 13th, 2004, 03:36 PM
I've been feeding him the Hikari Betta Bio-Gold. My former fish liked them just fine. I'm not really sure if his loss of appetite is due to his illness or because he doesn't like what I'm giving him. :huh:

Isil Darkmoon
September 13th, 2004, 03:50 PM
A lot of bettas won't eat for up to a week after coming home. The moving, and the poor conditions they were in in the store, stress them out. I wouldn't worry for a couple more days, unless he's also acting really lethargic and otherwise looks sick. If he still won't eat, I recommend freeze-dried bloodworms. Hikari is a good food, most bettas will eat it, but I've NEVER known a betta to turn down bloodworms.

Evenstar
September 14th, 2004, 01:26 AM
I thank both of you for your advice. I went to the store and bought some blood worms and just as predicted, Zippy ate them right up. He was just picky thats all. :hearthear

Valkie
September 14th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Has the ick cleared up yet?? Eating or not, that can still kill him. I stopped using medication on my fish a long time ago 'cause I have planted tanks and the meds will kill the plants. Now I use salt dips. You should be able to find the freshwater aquarium salt at the LFS... The salt for salt water tanks is too harsh and kitchen salt will kill them because of the iodine. Salt dip is also good for any type of parasite infection. 2 tablespoons per gallon, use the tank water in a seperate container. drop him in for 30 seconds to 1 minute and put him back in the tank. He'll stress out up to 20 minutes after you put him back, but the ick should be gone in a day.

You also didn't say what you're keeping him in. If he's in a tank with full filtration, the charcoal will absorb whatever meds you put in the tank, making them useless within a few hours. if he's in a bowl, it's possible that you've over medicated him and he's stressing because of that. Do a water change.

Next... do you know how old the fish is? Most bettas only live for 2-3 years. depending on where you got him, he could be coming to the end of his life anyways. Older bettas have a 1/2-3/4 inch girth and are a full 1- 1 1/2 inches long, not including tail. I say depending on where you got him because breeders will dump thier breeding stock to the lower end pet stores for a cheaper price.

LadyAutumnCat
September 14th, 2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the salt dip advice!!!! I knew they could be dipped, just didn't know the details!!! :)