PDA

View Full Version : Online friends

Windigo
September 13th, 2004, 05:25 PM
People that have never chatted on-line before tell me chat is not real... I beg to differ. Chat can be as real as you want to make it. Emotions can be real, anger can be real, anything you want to make real in chat can be done... and this poem sums it all up... Real friends exist any place; on-line, in a bar, someones home, it doesn't matter where you meet them it's how you precieve them.

Friends Without Faces

We sit and we type, and we stare at our screens
We can't help but wonder what all of this means.
With mouse in hand...we roam through this maze,
On an infinite search...lost in a daze.

We chat with each other, we type all our woes
At times we'll band together to gang up on our foes.
We wait for somebody, to type out our name
We want recognition, but it is always the same.

Soon friendships are formed - but - why we don't know,
But some of these friendships, will flourish and grow.
We give kisses and hugs, and sometimes we'll flirt,
In IMs we chat deeply, and reveal why we hurt.

Why is it on screen, we are so easily bold,
Telling our secrets, that have never been told.
The answer is simple, it is as clear as a bell,
We all have our problems, and need someone to tell.

We can't tell real people, but tell someone we must
So we turn to our 'puters...and to those we can trust.
Even though it sounds crazy...the truth still remains,
Most of my "friends" have no faces...and odd little names.

...Author Unknown

I know it's irrelevant, but someone sent me it and well, it's how I feel, and I know a lot of other people feel the same way... so I just thought I'd share it...

~Windi :huddle:

Terestai
September 13th, 2004, 05:28 PM
That's so true... I think alot of people forget that fact: that on the other side of the screen, there are real people. I used to visit forums that were very political, and would sometimes get upset with people whose views differed from mine and absolutely refused to find common ground in debates (I'm a Libra - I hate when things aren't balanced!). But it soon dawned on me that I could very well be talking to my stepdad, who's exactly that way. I love my stepdad, and don't begrudge him because of politics.

It was an eye-opener, that's for sure! BTW - I also gave up political discussions for the most part. :lol:

Tsuchimaru
September 13th, 2004, 05:29 PM
That's just....great. :D

Caffiend
September 13th, 2004, 05:30 PM
That's a really neat poem. And hey, I have alot of online friends. I love em just as much as any other.

The High Queen of Faerie
September 13th, 2004, 06:09 PM
People that have never chatted on-line before tell me chat is not real... I beg to differ. Chat can be as real as you want to make it. Emotions can be real, anger can be real, anything you want to make real in chat can be done... and this poem sums it all up... Real friends exist any place; on-line, in a bar, someones home, it doesn't matter where you meet them it's how you precieve them.

that is the most true thing i have heard all day. :)

Noriohtle
September 13th, 2004, 06:11 PM
That poem describes so many of my relationships as my friends are so far away.. i think i would whither up and have no use for myself if i lost my connection.. i would miss my friends too badly

Pan
September 13th, 2004, 06:15 PM
I'm ... I dunno. I agree with it, in most parts. Sometimes, not so much. There are online friends and acquaintances just like there are in real life.

I can't say that I have a lot of online friends. No one really talks to me.

Xentor
September 13th, 2004, 06:19 PM
My internet life is very real. I met some dear friends, and even have a volunteer job!

The High Queen of Faerie
September 13th, 2004, 06:20 PM
you know, thinking about it... my best friends are online. and that's the best for me, because we move almost every summer.