PDA

View Full Version : Books: Magical Meditations (which was Trancing The Witch's Wheel)

Yasmine Galenorn
September 15th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Yada yada yada...discussions re: Magical Meditations, which is the second edition of Trancing The Witch's Wheel, updated and now put out by Crossing Press.

Trancing The Witch's Wheel (Llewellyn Worldwide, 1997, out of print)
Magical Meditations (Crossing Press, 2004, in print)

Yasmine :colorful:

Ivy Artemisia
December 20th, 2004, 04:16 PM
Hi Yasmine,

I just wanted to say that I loved Magical Meditations! I was looking for a meditation for Litha... was at the bookstore, and your book jumped out at me. Thank Gods, too.... it saved my behind with a wonderful meditation. I just wanted to say thanks for a great book! :)

Yasmine Galenorn
December 22nd, 2004, 02:10 AM
Hi Yasmine,

I just wanted to say that I loved Magical Meditations! I was looking for a meditation for Litha... was at the bookstore, and your book jumped out at me. Thank Gods, too.... it saved my behind with a wonderful meditation. I just wanted to say thanks for a great book! :)

I'm so glad you liked it! That's actually the second edition of my very first book--Trancing The Witch's Wheel, and seems to be making the rounds a bit better than it did the first time. Every meditation in there, I led at one point or another--either before writing or (for most) after writing the book. All of them were well received by my students.

jaiden
December 22nd, 2004, 10:14 AM
I have to say, this is one of my favorites as well. If only there was a CD companion!!! (I hate my voice on a tape-recorder!) BTW, do you take orders through your website? I haven't had a chance to look, so I thought I'd just ask...

MorningDove030202
December 22nd, 2004, 10:31 AM
Oh, hey, I have that book! I've been meaning to record some of the meditations to make it easier to use. Having a 2 year old also doesn't help with the getting time in to meditate. Is there any chance a CD might develop from this book? Are there any pagan meditation CDs that you recomend?

So why did you chainge the title? I though the original title and cover were much better....??? I supose it was the publisher who wanted to chainge it, right? I know titles make a difference, I used to work in a library. If it said Wicca it went in the religion section and if it said witch it went in the occult section. No one at the library has figured out that some Witchcraft is a religion.

Dove

Yasmine Galenorn
December 22nd, 2004, 01:21 PM
I have to say, this is one of my favorites as well. If only there was a CD companion!!! (I hate my voice on a tape-recorder!) BTW, do you take orders through your website? I haven't had a chance to look, so I thought I'd just ask...

Glad you like the book!

I do sell some signed copies via my website, though since it's relatively rare, don't do credit cards or paypal (see http://www.galenorn.com/teashop/default.asp?body=ascontact.htm#Signed for more info)--it's just not practical for me. My fiction, I don't sell through my site because I don't get a big enough discount on it to make it viable, but I do offer signed bookplates for people who want them (http://www.galenorn.com/teashop/default.asp?body=ascontact.htm#Bookplates: for more info).

RE: CD....that's up to the publisher--I have no say over whether a CD or tape gets released and can't do it myself since the publisher owns the rights to put one out if they want.

Yasmine Galenorn
December 22nd, 2004, 01:25 PM
Oh, hey, I have that book! I've been meaning to record some of the meditations to make it easier to use. Having a 2 year old also doesn't help with the getting time in to meditate. Is there any chance a CD might develop from this book? Are there any pagan meditation CDs that you recomend?

So why did you chainge the title? I though the original title and cover were much better....??? I supose it was the publisher who wanted to chainge it, right? I know titles make a difference, I used to work in a library. If it said Wicca it went in the religion section and if it said witch it went in the occult section. No one at the library has figured out that some Witchcraft is a religion.

Dove

The title changed because Llewellyn decided to take it out of print (it didn't sell fast enough for them, even though it sold out of the entire printing) and when I got the rights back, I sold it again to Crossing Press, who couldn't use the orginal artwork, which was owned by Llewellyn, and they thought a change in title might help it. Wasn't up to me. And actually, it sells better under the new title than under the old one, even though CP's distribution isn't as good. I guess it looks more like a 'meditation book'....re: CD, see my answer just above this one.

As far as meditation CD's for pagans, I really don't know of any (that's one of the reasons I wrote the book in the first place, I hadn't seen an entire book on pagan-oriented guided meditations). But I am not necessarily up to date on all the things coming out--if I see any, I'll let you know.

Yazza :colorful:

MorningDove030202
December 22nd, 2004, 01:34 PM
Should I ask the publisher to consider selling a CD of the meditations?
Dove

Yasmine Galenorn
December 22nd, 2004, 02:04 PM
Should I ask the publisher to consider selling a CD of the meditations?
Dove

Well, it would be better coming from readers than from me, tell you that! (Publishers don't usually listen to authors until the author is a really big-selling name). Here's the email address:

For orders, customer service questions, and all general questions: order@tenspeed.com

MorningDove030202
December 22nd, 2004, 02:07 PM
Well, it would be better coming from readers than from me, tell you that! (Publishers don't usually listen to authors until the author is a really big-selling name). Here's the email address:

For orders, customer service questions, and all general questions: order@tenspeed.com

Email sent!
Dove

Yasmine Galenorn
December 22nd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Email sent!
Dove

Cool. If I can answer any other questions about it, let me know!

Yazzapanther :colorful:

MorningDove030202
December 27th, 2004, 09:46 PM
I got a reply back from ten speed that they don't do CDs but were going to pass the idea along to you. Perhapse you can find someone else who will do a CD?

Dove

Yasmine Galenorn
December 27th, 2004, 11:23 PM
I got a reply back from ten speed that they don't do CDs but were going to pass the idea along to you. Perhapse you can find someone else who will do a CD?

Dove

If I hear from them and I have permission to do so, I might just look for a way to make that happen!

Yazzapanther

celticfire
February 16th, 2005, 07:51 AM
i just bought TTWW from someone on ebay who was cleaning out their house. it was a STEAL! i'm so excited to read this yasmine...i'll be beginning it this evening.:) oh, and i gave my hp the ETM book i had read. i loved it and she's enjoying it as well. she wants to incorporate some of the things into one of our tea parties (meditations, explaining the moon waters, etc).

be well and with great affection

Yasmine Galenorn
February 16th, 2005, 08:11 PM
i just bought TTWW from someone on ebay who was cleaning out their house. it was a STEAL! i'm so excited to read this yasmine...i'll be beginning it this evening.:) oh, and i gave my hp the ETM book i had read. i loved it and she's enjoying it as well. she wants to incorporate some of the things into one of our tea parties (meditations, explaining the moon waters, etc).

be well and with great affection

I hope you like it--you can't get TTWW new anymore, although you can get it's slightly tighter incarnation--Magical Meditations (which is pretty much the same, a little bit expanded and I corrected a few mistakes that had been in TTWW, but nothing major).

CaitrionaMorgaine
February 16th, 2005, 08:22 PM
Yasmine,

I have utilized Magickal Meditations so many times since I picked it up! It's a great teaching tool for my circle (we're housed on an air force training base and most of my members don't have their books with them since they're right out of basic)--it's always on the list of meditation books that I recommend. I just had to say thanks for such an awesome resource. Do let us know if that cd idea comes together--I'd be very interested.

~Rhiannon

Cylver
February 16th, 2005, 08:28 PM
Whats the "Magical Mediations" about?

MorningDove030202
February 16th, 2005, 10:03 PM

A book of guided meditations for each holiay, the elements, and some deities. It's very useful....

Dove

Yasmine Galenorn
February 17th, 2005, 06:35 PM

Magical Meditations is a book of guided meditations to lead you into the standard Pagan wheel of the year, a better understanding of the elements, and a few of the deities. It's designed to stimulate your subconscious into opening up to a new perception of these concepts so that you understand them on a deeper level.

Mithrea
February 18th, 2005, 12:50 AM
Okay, I just found this thread this afternoon and can not tell you how happy I am. I just ordered it :p

I do the guided meditations from Elsabeth Brooke's "Wise Woman's Guide" and have found them to be so good and so revealing. Nothing I've found measures up. In fact, I couldn't seem to find anything like it but lately, I've been feeling sort of stagnant with them. I meditate regularly but I can't seem to ever get to where I'm going before I fall asleep these days. ;)

I have a meditation group that meets on the New Moon, so I've been looking for better, more pagany meditations than what I have found out there. I swear some of the younger girls have giggled at the new ageyness feel of alot of the ones we have tried. So I've been looking and then today I bought this: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1890851051/qid=1108702106/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/104-2681330-6802308?v=glance&s=books

And now I will have your book too. If you do put out a CD, I wiill GET IT. :lol:

I also just wanted to say that I love Crossing Press. All of my favorite books came from them. Do you like working with them?

Yasmine Galenorn
February 18th, 2005, 12:56 AM
Okay, I just found this thread this afternoon and can not tell you how happy I am. I just ordered it :p

And now I will have your book too. If you do put out a CD, I wiill GET IT. :lol:

I also just wanted to say that I love Crossing Press. All of my favorite books came from them. Do you like working with them?

Yeah...I don't do the new-agey thing. And every meditation in that book, I used when I still taught classes, so many years ago. So I know they work.

Crossing Press....to be diplomatic, let me say that had they not gone under and sold to Ten Speed, I'd probably put more books out with them. Now, for various reasons (wanting to focus on my fiction, which was my first love, is a big one, but not the only), I will not be publishing any more with CP. However, I do have four books with them, and I have to say, they do good covers. :)

I hope you like it....the CD...I don't know, it's a possibility if I have the time and energy at some point. But I don't like doing production work--I'd rather just write. ~LOL~ I'm not a saleswoman, either, so I seldom sell more than a few copies via my site or self--I'd rather let the publisher and distributor do their job that way....we'll see. I know there's been interest since the first edition of the book came out.

MorningDove030202
February 18th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Please make a CD! Please! BTW, I'm going to read one of the meditations from your book to the religious education class at the UU I attend. They are studying meditation and prayer and asked people to share with them about their own practice of such things.

(Get a CD made, please!, infact I would recomend working with the Shawna Carol of the music CD "Goddess Chants" for any back ground music. The two of you would make an excellent meditation CD!)

Dove

Yasmine Galenorn
February 18th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Please make a CD! Please! BTW, I'm going to read one of the meditations from your book to the religious education class at the UU I attend. They are studying meditation and prayer and asked people to share with them about their own practice of such things.

(Get a CD made, please!, infact I would recomend working with the Shawna Carol of the music CD "Goddess Chants" for any back ground music. The two of you would make an excellent meditation CD!)

Dove

LOL...well, I can't promise, but IF I have the time in the next year or so, I'll look into what it would take. I simply have a jam-packed schedule, and production work takes time, not to mention capital...we're probably talking thousands to pay musicians, studio fees, distributors, etc., and I probably wouldn't come close to making back an investment like that. But....if I can find an interested publisher who would work with Crossing though, who would consider making one, then I'd probably say yes. Who knows...maybe in a few years I'll be able to buy the rights back from Crossing and find a publisher who wants to issue both print and audio versions. :)

MorningDove030202
February 18th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed.
Dove

LOL...well, I can't promise, but IF I have the time in the next year or so, I'll look into what it would take. I simply have a jam-packed schedule, and production work takes time, not to mention capital...we're probably talking thousands to pay musicians, studio fees, distributors, etc., and I probably wouldn't come close to making back an investment like that. But....if I can find an interested publisher who would work with Crossing though, who would consider making one, then I'd probably say yes. Who knows...maybe in a few years I'll be able to buy the rights back from Crossing and find a publisher who wants to issue both print and audio versions. :)

Mithrea
March 11th, 2005, 12:46 AM
Tonight we had our New Moon meeting and I led them through the lemon and chocolate sensory exercise, the stretching and the breathing. Then (even though it's not the new moon ;) ) we did the Artemis meditation. I felt like it was appropriate to some things some of the members were going through right now and I figure if they can imagine they are in a forest, they can imagine the moon is full too :p

Anyway, one of the things I really liked was that you actually addressed what it's like to lead meditations. We decided since the last meeting that we should not do pre-recorded meditations because in a group that large, with varying degrees of experience with meditation, someone need to keep an eye on how it was going for the individuals. Last New Moon, one lady started bawling big time during the meditation. So, I was glad to see you address that in this book and offer suggestions.

At any rate, I was thinking. Your meditations are *very* well written and exactly what I was looking for, so I'm glad I found this thread when I did. I know you are very, very busy, and I am not trying to add to your workload ;) , but since people seem keen to have a CD of your meditations, maybe it might be nice to write new ones and have those recorded.

I don't know if that's a good idea or not, but I thought it might not be like re-releasing the same book again and so you wouldn't have people shy away from the CD because they already have the text. Also, you could cut production time if you just wrote say, five new meditaitons of comparable length to the book meditations and recorded those (instead of the whole book). As for music, I don't think your meditations need it and I often find it music horribly distracting on meditation CD's. At most, you might want some subtle nature-type sounds and those come pre-recorded and most studios have them already programmed in so they are included with the studio rental.

Anyway, thanks for the great book :)

Yasmine Galenorn
March 12th, 2005, 12:18 PM
At any rate, I was thinking. Your meditations are *very* well written and exactly what I was looking for, so I'm glad I found this thread when I did. I know you are very, very busy, and I am not trying to add to your workload ;) , but since people seem keen to have a CD of your meditations, maybe it might be nice to write new ones and have those recorded. ....Anyway, thanks for the great book :)

You know, I doubt if I'll ever write more 'strictly' metaphysical nonfiction again, to be honest. I burnt out on it, big time. But I might suggest you see if you can find a used copy of my book Tarot Journeys--a book of guided meditations for the major arcana. They can be used for rites of passages too, relating to the energies of the cards, and I consider it one of my 'best' nonfiction books I wrote. Very proud of that book (and that's one I would LIKE to see back in print, if I can ever find a publisher who would be willing to re-issue it, that I also think I could work with on the NF).

And yes--you have to include suggestions on things to do when somebody has a bit of a breakdown or whatnot...I have led a great many meditations in my life...and tried to include tips for what I noticed along the way. :)

MorningDove030202
March 12th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I didn't know you wrote a tarot meditations book! They do have used coppies on amazon.com. I think I'm going to have to buy it. I think it would help my tarot studdies. I'm taking a tarot class at witchschool.com.
Dove

Yasmine Galenorn
March 12th, 2005, 11:42 PM
I didn't know you wrote a tarot meditations book! They do have used coppies on amazon.com. I think I'm going to have to buy it. I think it would help my tarot studdies. I'm taking a tarot class at witchschool.com.
Dove

LOL...I've got eight nonfiction out there, and three mysteries on the shelf so far...take a look at my bibliography thread in my forum here. It will give you a list and brief description of what I've got out there.

Tarot Journeys...was a hard book to write, just energy wise...but I'm extremely glad I wrote it and I am very happy with the way it came out.