View Full Version : Making candles from used stubs?

September 18th, 2004, 03:43 PM
I have a couple candles lying around my room which I can't use anymore, because the wick is gone. Does anyone here know how I could recycle the wax to make new ones at home?

September 18th, 2004, 03:50 PM
cut out the old wicks, and any tabs that may be on the bottom. then get some new wicks, and melt down the old stripped stub portions (you will probably have to cut the stubs into pieces to get the wicks out, but that makes it easier for them to melt). you can pour the wax into a container you have stuck a wick in the bottom of, or use a candle mold, which you can find at craft stores in the us. canada i'm not so sure about, though. another thing i like to do with odd bits of scented candle wax is melt them down into those wax tarts. i have some small glass dishes which i stick on top of a metal votive candle holder with a design puched into the sides. i light a tealight in the votive holder and put the dish with some wax in it on top, but you can use the little oil simmerers too. the scent really does last!

September 18th, 2004, 03:54 PM
you can make new wicks by dipping pure cotton or linen string in melted wax. you can't use synthetics because they will not draw the melted wax up to the flame.

disclaimer: i've never tried to use household string for candle wicking myself, i've just heard it can work. i'm drawing a blank on net sites that sell wicking, but i'm sure they can be found on google. :)

September 18th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Thanks very much! I'll have to ask my mum where to get wicks, but at least now I have a general idea of what I'm doing! :)

September 19th, 2004, 02:38 PM
I know craft stores such as Joann's and Michaels carry wicks. I'm not sure if they have thosde stores in Canada though, so ask around or something.