PDA

View Full Version : Up with Positivism

Stardevil
September 19th, 2004, 02:27 AM
At 8 am this morning I had to be at the college in order to attend a seminar. Lately, since Zach has started preschool, I have been very active with attending classes, conferences, and seminars that will help me as a parent deal with my son. With Zach as my only child I am finding certan things difficult and atteding these seminars that are held by seasoned professionals has been helpign greatly!

Today as I pulled up to the college, on my day off no less, I gathered my things to take notes and waited for the key notes speaker to begin. His name was Steve Siemens. I was expecting a long winded boring lecture on gods only knows what. As I opened my folder I see a packet with " Up with Positivism" written on the top. As many of you know I am NOT a perky person. I am actually a very negative person which is one of the things I am striving to change in my life.

When Mr. Siemens started to talk this morning he spoke about things in his life that were positive. He tolds us ways to be positive in our own lives, to make our jobs enjoyable, to make our lives more enjoyable and I thought I would share some of these ideals with you. You absolutely cannot get the full effect of him as a speaker from just the information I am referring onto you all so if you have a conference in the area with Steve Siemens as a Speaker GO seriously go to a workshop if he is a speaker in your area!!!

Here is some tips on how to make your life more postive from the packet and seminar:

What Negative thinking can do to you:

1. Negative thinking can create clouds at critical decision times.

2. Negative thinking is Contagious. ( if you think and act negatively others around you will do the same and so on and so forth)

3. Negative thinking blows everything out of perspective.

Example:

Murphy's Law: Nothing is as easy as it looks; Everything takes longer than you expect; and if anything can go wrong it will at the worst possible time

Siemens' Law: Nothing is as hard as it looks; everything is more rewarding than you expect; and if anything can go right it will and at the best possible time.

4. Negative thinking Limits our potential

5. Negative thinking keeps us from enjoying our life.

Something I was thinking about as he was explaining this out. How many times have I expected things to go wrong and they did? What would have happened if I would have approached things in a positive manner? I do not know the answer to these questions but they are interesting questions.

Five Reasons why there are negative people

1. They do not see the big picture

2. No Goals, no passion, no vision

3. Careless words ( and he put in the packet " whoever wrote sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me DIDN"T really live lol)

4. Criticism: Criticism leads to defensiveness which leads to non listening which leads to no communication which leads to no problem solving and then leads to diseaster :( ) another note was Those who can -DO! Those who can't- CRITICIZE! The more you set out ot do in life the more criticism you will get!

5. Negativism

People with a positive attitude...

1. Win because the possess a philosophy of success

2. Win because the desire personal growth and developement

3. Win because they eliminate unecessary clutter.. such as:

emotional clutter- baggage from bad relationships lack of forgiveness

administrative clutter- somethign I am goign to get around to

Calander clutter- time management.

trivial clutter- all the things I do which have no return.

4. Win because they handle failure successfully

a. Don't personalize it

b. Learn from it.

c. Quit making excuses

d. Don't fear failure

e. Accept it as part of the journey

f. Focus on success not failure

g. Never surrender to failure.

5. Win because they add value

6. Win because they think differently.

7. People with positive attitudes choose to have positive attitudes

How do we stay up with positivism

1. Look for positive things

2. Focus only on what you can control

3. CHeck your attitudes daily

4. Live with Excellent, Enthusiasm, and Passion

Like I stated before you cannot get the complete gratification just from the information I have put up here so I HIGHLY reccommend you see him if he is ever speaking in our area!

There is one other thing that was written on the packet that stuck in my head all day and here it is for you all :)

If you think you are beaten you are
If you think you dare not, you don't
If you like to win but think you can't, it's almost certain you won't
If you think you'll lose, you've lost
For in the world we find success begins with a fellow's will; it's all in the state of mind
If you think you're outclassed you are
You've got to be sure of yourself for sure before you can win the prize
Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man
But sooner or later, the man who wins is the man who thinks he can!

I hope you all enjoy the reading as much as I enjoyed the speaker today :)

Brightest Blessings

Temair
September 20th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Thank you for this. I am generally a pretty positive person, and it's nice to know that I'm not alone. :)

crashtime
September 20th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Thanks for posting this. I'm in college and in a service sorority and last year I was the vice president. I was criticized a lot, but now that I think about it all the people that criticized me just criticized everyone. They had the attributes of the negative person. I passed this on to a friend so maybe we could have a positive attitude workshop.

Stardevil
September 21st, 2004, 01:05 AM
well the speaker was awe inspiring and I am not a positive person by far but this has helped me to try to see thing sin a different ,light.. I am nto going to be able to change over ngiht but I am hopign that this will help me in some areas I need help in :) I am happy you all enjoyed it :)

fahawk
September 21st, 2004, 10:21 AM
THANKS so much for sharing this!
Alot of hard issues from my childhood- marriage..( though things are really much better and sweeter now-hooray) and I can still get myself very easily into the negative! sigh
Appreciate this :)

Qoute-
Yesterday- history
Tomorrow-mystery
Today- A Present