PDA

View Full Version : The Ask Yasmine Thread

Yasmine Galenorn
September 20th, 2004, 02:30 PM
If you have general questions (not for personal therapeutic advice--I am not a counselor and I don't teach magic anymore)...about me, my books, life in general...ask away. You might want to check the FAQ thread on my site first, where I've answered a number of questions already: http://www.galenorn.com/teashop/default.asp?body=asfaqlist.htm

Yasmine :colorful:

Nighthawk
October 6th, 2004, 01:30 PM
Umm, I hope a comment is ok..if not, ask me and I will remove it.. I just got a signed copy of yyour bool.. Jade Dragon, and the first chapter was wonderful... I must say that I could see the store, the people and all of it, just by your words.. This does not always happen with books for me.. I will be pushing your books...Fantastic!!!!

Yasmine Galenorn
October 6th, 2004, 06:02 PM
Umm, I hope a comment is ok..if not, ask me and I will remove it.. I just got a signed copy of yyour bool.. Jade Dragon, and the first chapter was wonderful... I must say that I could see the store, the people and all of it, just by your words.. This does not always happen with books for me.. I will be pushing your books...Fantastic!!!!

Hey Nighthawk! Hugs to you, hon, and I'm so glad you're enjoying it! I hope you like it all the way through--and yeah, I "see" the story as I write it, it unfolds like a movie in my mind, from Emerald's eyes (not to say I don't sometimes have to rewind the filmstrip and start a scene over again because it needed editing *grins*).

Anyway, your note tickles me so much! Why on earth would I object to such a sweet (and nice) comment?

Yazza (and next time I'm over at Seattle Mystery Bookstore, we have to try and meet and say hiya). :colorful:

Katfire
October 6th, 2004, 06:19 PM
I have not read your books but is on my to read list now because you are kind enough to come to a site like this to be amoung us.

I have went to your site and as a writer of sorts I thank you for some leads to check on with my short stories.

Once again thank you,
For you were the sign,
That I ask for today,
For direction.

Kat

Yasmine Galenorn
October 6th, 2004, 06:45 PM
I have not read your books but is on my to read list now because you are kind enough to come to a site like this to be amoung us.

I have went to your site and as a writer of sorts I thank you for some leads to check on with my short stories.

Once again thank you,
For you were the sign,
That I ask for today,
For direction.

Kat

Good luck with your writing--did you see the writing links page?
http://www.galenorn.com/teashop/default.asp?body=aslinks.htm

And trust me, I wouldn't be here if I didn't like it. :hahugh:

Nighthawk
October 7th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Well, thank you... and when I heard Emerald talking, I saw you anyway... in the shop, or sitting reading the cards... I saw you in the street with Daniel..... How odd.. so, good that you rather identify with her... Umm, well, it said questions..and mine post was not a question....so.. umm, I am a math type guy...and really..umm, anal and methodical about this type of thing.. He he... oh well.. have a good one

Yasmine Galenorn
October 7th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Well, thank you... and when I heard Emerald talking, I saw you anyway... in the shop, or sitting reading the cards... I saw you in the street with Daniel..... How odd.. so, good that you rather identify with her... Umm, well, it said questions..and mine post was not a question....so.. umm, I am a math type guy...and really..umm, anal and methodical about this type of thing.. He he... oh well.. have a good one

Every character I write about has a little bit of me in them...even the villains. ~grins~ And I'm married to a math type guy, and I am also one of the most O/C organizers you'll ever find, so I understand the methodical thang, sugah. :smooch:

Yazzapanther :colorful:

hilary.
April 29th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Hi!
There was a discussion about Finnish dieites, etc. in another forum and someone mentioned that I should talk to you!! :D

Here's my question: On another messageboard someone posted that there was an ancient Finnish religion that goes back further than the runos in Kalevala . Do you know anything about that?? Also, are there other sources besides Kalevala and Kanteletar that mention pre-Christian religions in Finland (including other Finno-Ugric cultures)??

I guess that was more like 2 or 3 questions. I've gotten hooked on this question now and I can't rest until I find out more!! :smile:

Yasmine Galenorn
April 29th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Hi!
There was a discussion about Finnish dieites, etc. in another forum and someone mentioned that I should talk to you!! :D

Here's my question: On another messageboard someone posted that there was an ancient Finnish religion that goes back further than the runos in Kalevala . Do you know anything about that?? Also, are there other sources besides Kalevala and Kanteletar that mention pre-Christian religions in Finland (including other Finno-Ugric cultures)??

I guess that was more like 2 or 3 questions. I've gotten hooked on this question now and I can't rest until I find out more!! :smile:
The Finnish (ancient) religion goes back a lot farther than the Kalevala...which is simply a compilation of runos that Lonnrot brought together in the mid 1800's. They are supposed to be a fraction of the songs and chants that were passed down through the years before the Finns had a written language, which was introduced by missionaries. And from what I gather from talking to a few Finns who live over there, there are a number of archived stories/etc. that are connected with the pre-Christian era in Finland, but of course, since the Finns were primarily an oral tradition until the Christians came in, these stories may be colored by the translators.

I believe that the great Euroasian Bear Cult that was spread across Europe/Asia, etc., had a definite foothold in that area, however it was again, not one religion, but a collage of beliefs, centered around the bear--and the bear is at the heart of much of the Finnish beliefs that we see in the Kalevala.

Here's one place for you to start if you want to look in that direction: http://src-h.slav.hokudai.ac.jp/publictn/acta/20/asi20-001-janhunen.pdf

There's a little book if you can get hold of it, called Snakefat and Knotted Threads, by KM Koppana (who is Finnish, herself) that has some interesting stories in it.

Haven't got time right now to go into this in more depth, but this should give you a start.

hilary.
April 29th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Thanks so much -- this will be my new summer project!!