PDA

View Full Version : A History Of Witch Persecution.

Danustouch
August 24th, 2001, 09:36 AM
And btw..do any of you use any of these alternative titles for witches??

http://home.att.net/~gentletouch/witch.html

Earth Walker
August 24th, 2001, 08:09 PM
Excellent article. Thank you for that link. :cool:

hmmmm....fascinatrix.....thinking of how I can use that with
dominatrix....;) :D hehehehe

MistOfTheSea86
September 3rd, 2001, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Mystique
Excellent article. Thank you for that link. :cool:

hmmmm....fascinatrix.....thinking of how I can use that with
dominatrix....;) :D hehehehe

How about:
HEADLINES

Fascinatrix the Dominatrix!lol

Danustouch
October 18th, 2003, 12:21 AM
*Bump*

veinglory
October 18th, 2003, 08:41 AM
I think that this article makes it clear that the persecution actually had little or nothing to do with real witchcraft. I don't tend (internet aside) to use any word to describe myself. I *do* witchcraft, I *am* Emily.

Kadynas
October 19th, 2003, 07:56 AM
One interesting point I oticed in that article was the familiar verse "Thou shall not suffer a witch to live". I always heard that the Hebrew word actually meant "poisoner", but here they say it means seer or diviner... Does that mean that all the psychics and astrologers are doomed? :geez:

Danustouch
October 19th, 2003, 01:25 PM
One interesting point I oticed in that article was the familiar verse "Thou shall not suffer a witch to live". I always heard that the Hebrew word actually meant "poisoner", but here they say it means seer or diviner... Does that mean that all the psychics and astrologers are doomed? :geez:

I'd always heard that it meant poisoner as well. However, i'm sure it's fairly easy for interpretations to have become corrupted over time.

Things such as necromancy, sorcery...etc, probably all came to be associated with the word "Witch" as well as astrologers, or psychics, or anyone who had ANY "power" which seemed "unnatural". People probably were scared of people with any connection to the supernatural realm, or any abilities which they did not possess themselves, and thus, began to groop them all together.

RogueEcho
October 20th, 2003, 03:16 PM

It does -- it was a mistranslation of the line. I took a class last winter about the history of "witches" -- that meant it was really the history of witch trials, during which just about everyone who was killed were not, in fact, witches. Some were marginalized members of their societies, others were political targets, etc etc. Part of what we discussed in the class was that particular line, which was mistranslated in later versions of the Bible. However, writers went to great lengths to justify the witch trials and such. A really good reader on the subject is Witchcraft in Europe, 400-1700 by Kors and Peters.