View Full Version : Roses?

Amethyst Rose
February 28th, 2001, 07:52 PM
Merry Meet everyone :)

In the spirit of spring which is coming up so quickly (I already have tulips growing, and have been seeing spring flowers everywhere)... I have been planning to do a little gardening.
This is a new (rental) duplex for me (moved in August 1st), and I'd like to make it a bit more pretty.
There's a planter box in the front yard, about 1/2 - 3/4 foot deep and I would like to plant a rose bush and some other flowers in it (I'm thinking lily of the valley, or some primroses).
The problem is that I don't have a green thumb. I have no clue how to look after roses, or anything about them besides that they smell pretty.
So I was wondering if anyone could give me a little "roses for dummies" advice. I need to know when to plant, if my 1/2 foot of soil will be enough for them. I also need to know how to keep them alive, once planted.
Can anyone help??

February 28th, 2001, 11:41 PM
Are you going to be starting from seed or transplanting?

February 28th, 2001, 11:48 PM
Found this:

Amethyst Rose
March 1st, 2001, 03:12 AM
I would most likely be transplanting. Although it would be interesting to start by seed, something tells me that would be more difficult, and I'm going for easy as possible. :)

Amethyst Rose
March 1st, 2001, 04:00 AM
That's a good site for the information it provides.... helped me out about with how to get started. What I'm the most interested in, however, is when do I plant? I haven't been able to find that anywhere....

March 3rd, 2001, 03:27 AM
If it's a small space, perhaps a patio rose might be a good idea, if not a hybrid tea (they stay quite small but only bloom once in a season)

Anyway, I know this sounds a bit mad but roses love being planted around garlic, parsley and chives. Not only can you eat them afterwards but they actually protect the rose against blackfly and greenfly.

Once lily of the valley takes hold it spreads like wildfire, smells nice but might choke your rose.

Summer Solstice
March 3rd, 2001, 11:22 PM
I have always had roses by my front door. I recommend do not plant anything with the roses. If the plant does not have bulbs ,cut the branches down a little bit before planting . My plant is outdoors and every year around may it comes back to life and blooms the most magnificent deep red roses,til the end of Oct. and like you I also live in a cold area Mass. Good luck !

Amethyst Rose
March 4th, 2001, 03:55 PM
Actually, I'm not in a cold area.... I'm right on the western coast, so it's really quite warm...spring is already here, at least. That's why I was wondering when would be the best time to plant.
When I lived in a colder area, you didn't plant until May, when the threat of frost is gone. However, now I'm on the coast, living in a temporate zone, rain foresty area, and I have no clue when frost ends.... so does anyone know?

March 4th, 2001, 04:33 PM
Maybe i can help out a bit since we're in the same area. I asked my mother when would be a good time for planting roses (very green thumb my mother has!) and she said now would be a good time. Anytime basicly between now and April, even going into May.

Amethyst Rose
March 4th, 2001, 06:31 PM
That's great! Tell your mom "thanks a bunch" for me :)

March 5th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Hi all!
I have a problem with my rose bush.It was planted in the 1970s,so it's quite old.It blooms wonderfully in May,evry May.But as we get into June it just stops blooming.Just green leaves and thorns.
Any suggestions?
Peace and Love

Summer Solstice
March 5th, 2001, 10:44 PM
The same thing happened to my rose after 18 years . The greenhouse up the street from me told me that is the time that some roses last to ,he said max 25 years .Before you do anything call your closest greenhouse (that you trust) and ask them .They were kind enough to recommend me a new plant .He stated each kind of rose has a different expectancy. Hope that helps.

March 6th, 2001, 04:00 AM
Its wonderful to think of a rose lasting that long...

February 5th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Hi all!
I have a problem with my rose bush.It was planted in the 1970s,so it's quite old.It blooms wonderfully in May,every May.But as we get into June it just stops blooming.Just green leaves and thorns.
Any suggestions?
Peace and Love

Some varieties of roses, especially older ones, naturally do that, it doesn't necessarily mean anything at all is wrong.

February 6th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I have three rose bushes in front of my house. Two were planted by the last occupants, the third by me.

All I really do with them is water good once weekly (Spring/Summer)
less if it has rained recently. Less in Fall.
Trim back , and thin out, when getting to big, thick, or dead branches.
Give a little miracle grow boost maybe once a mounth,
but only if it looks like they really need it.

-When flowers have finnished blooming and start to wither,
cut off all old blooms and the plant will keep making more.

-Roots grow shallow and spread out wide from the plant,
so water around the bushes, not just right near the trunk.

February 6th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Also never get the leaves wet while watering.