PDA

View Full Version : Wicked - Munchkinlanders

GreenCrone
September 26th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Yes, the second thread of the morning. :caffeine: Wow, that second cup helped.

After the prologue I was filled with questions. How did this all start? Was she what the Tin Woodman, the Lion, and the Scarecrow said she was? Abused child, insane, maybe even a man????? And green? What about that?

But the next chapters only left me with more questions. Certainly Elphaba did not have a great start in life. Born green to parents that I wouldn't wish on anyone. Frex is a fundamentalist preacher who is more wrapped up in the souls of the people than in his wife and child. Melena is a self-absorded ex-socialite drunk with no morals. So who is Elphaba's real father? I'm still in the dark on that one. I can't help it... Elphaba is not a loveable child, yet I feel sorry for her. Teeth and all.

And lets not forget Nanny and Turtle Heart. Nanny seems to bring a touch of reality to this situation and Turtle Heart a further touch of unreality. Yet Nanny sees ghosts and beasts and Turtle Heart tells a tale of political power, ignorance and prejudice. So the world of Oz is not the land over the rainbow. At least, I'm certainly starting to believe it isn't. Horrors!!!! :holycow:

Well this is what I came away with, what about y'all? :boing:

Ahautenites
September 26th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Wait til you get to the end of the book. I finished reading it yesterday and there's an unnamed dwarf who explains it all. :) "Horrors," indeed. **grins** Can't imagine that as a kid's first word.

I really enjoyed this book, but from a certain section of the book, I *knew* exactly what the last lines of the book were going to be.

Also, if you haven't done so already, check out the very back of the book. There are some study questions to really get the thinking juices flowing.

Amethyst Rose
January 23rd, 2005, 01:39 PM
I loved this book! I first bought it about 6 years ago, and I've read it 3 or 4 times now. I just finished reading Gregory Maguire's other two fairy tale books, Confessions of an Ugly Step Sister and Mirror Mirror (finished Mirror Mirror last night) and they're all worthy of deep discussion.

I loved Wicked becasue it is so steeped in political turmoil. And the land of Oz certainly isn't some magical world where everything is wonderful. I can't talk specifically about this section of the book, because i don't remember it exactly and dont' want to give away more of the story :)