PDA

View Full Version : Chemical spill

Garden of Eden
September 29th, 2004, 02:45 AM
A couple of litres of Methylamine was spilled outside a lab in my school yesterday... The whole place was evacuated (the fumes are very dangerous) and a couple of my friends went to hospital after inhaling the stuff. :( I only got a few breaths of it, but that stuff was like rocket fuel... seriously.
:bug:

Anyways... I'M ALIVE! *runs around in a circle waving her arms and screaming*

mama reflecting
September 29th, 2004, 06:40 AM
Wow, I'm glad to hear that you're okay!! :hugz: Watch to make sure you aren't having any kinds of reactions for the next day or two. You know, breathing trouble, dizzyness, that kind of thing. (I don't know any specific symptoms... just take care of yourself. ;) )

Aelfoak
September 29th, 2004, 06:42 AM
I'm amazed that a school is holding such a lethal chemical, or was the spillage inside the school or outside?

Garden of Eden
September 29th, 2004, 07:58 AM
It was inside actually... It was being transported from on elab to another...

Tullip Troll
September 29th, 2004, 08:00 AM
A couple of litres of Methylamine was spilled outside a lab in my school yesterday... The whole place was evacuated (the fumes are very dangerous) and a couple of my friends went to hospital after inhaling the stuff. :( I only got a few breaths of it, but that stuff was like rocket fuel... seriously.
:bug:

Anyways... I'M ALIVE! *runs around in a circle waving her arms and screaming*

Kinda Scary.

Glad your ok

MheraPai

They should be more wary

LadyTrinity
September 29th, 2004, 08:32 AM
woha! Thats intense! Glad to hear that you are okay :smoochypo.

Mjollnir
September 29th, 2004, 09:02 AM
How was it being transported? whom was transporting it? I am curious Garden, I am the safety coordinator where I work and it sounds like someone was a wee careless with handling the stuff.

Calyx
September 29th, 2004, 09:04 AM
How was it being transported? whom was transporting it? I am curious Garden, I am the safety coordinator where I work and it sounds like someone was a wee careless with handling the stuff.
Are you really? Cool! I am an industrial hygienist. Know what that is?

Mjollnir
September 29th, 2004, 09:39 AM
Are you really? Cool! I am an industrial hygienist. Know what that is?

Ummmmm yeah, who ya' work for???

Garden of Eden
September 29th, 2004, 01:51 PM
We haven't been told an awful lot about it. Just that the chemical was spilled and went unnoticed for about ten minutes. It got into air vents and went through the entire school. I and my friends got the worst of it, walking through the corridor beside the lab. It's quite enclosed and long, so it took us a while to walk through it...

And as we walked through...

Friend #1: "Can you smell that?"
Eden: "No..."
Friend #1: "It's... weird..."
Eden: *takes very deep breath*
Friend #1: "Now?"
Eden: "Yeah..." *chokes*

Calyx
September 29th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Ummmmm yeah, who ya' work for???
Shell Chemicals, LP. what about you? :kooky:

Mjollnir
September 29th, 2004, 03:28 PM
I work for Sensient Imaging Technologies LLC, we manufacture ink.........

Here is a little info on methylamine for you Garden...............

Extremely flammable. Harmful by inhalation and if swallowed. Causes
burns.

Potential Health Effects
Eye:
Causes eye burns. May result in corneal injury.
Skin:
Causes skin burns. May be absorbed through the skin. May cause
dermatitis.
Ingestion:
Harmful if swallowed. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause
severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and
possible burns.
Inhalation:
Harmful if inhaled. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract.
May cause pulmonary edema and severe respiratory disturbances. May
cause liver abnormalities.

if you want more info, PM me.

mama reflecting
September 30th, 2004, 07:05 AM
Potential Health Effects
Eye:
Causes eye burns. May result in corneal injury.
Skin:
Causes skin burns. May be absorbed through the skin. May cause
dermatitis.
Ingestion:
Harmful if swallowed. Causes gastrointestinal tract burns. May cause
severe gastrointestinal tract irritation with nausea, vomiting and
possible burns.
Inhalation:
Harmful if inhaled. Causes chemical burns to the respiratory tract.
May cause pulmonary edema and severe respiratory disturbances. May
cause liver abnormalities.

Wow, with that nightmare list, I'd really be watching my symptoms! @_@

How was it being transported? Was this a high school? I should think that dangerous chemicals would only be carried by teachers...

Garden of Eden
September 30th, 2004, 11:38 AM
It was being transported by a lab technician in a Grammer school. I don't think anyone inhaled too much of it, we were evacuated pretty quick. I was the only idiot who decided to take a deep breath in the corridor... *rolls eyes* I was called up today to ask if my chest was ok, because they know I'm asthmatic. I'm fine though ^_^

We had Health and safety inspectors in the school these past few days. They're reviewing the procedures and storage methods, but it turns out it was a faulty container. The school have contacted the people who make the storage containers.

Thanks for all the concern, guys, and that list is very informative Mjollnir... *hits print*

Lunacie
September 30th, 2004, 11:49 AM
That's horrible. I know someone who suffers terribly from Chemical Injury Illness and I hope that no one who was exposed will become chemically injured.

What the heck do they use that stuff for?

Aelfoak
September 30th, 2004, 11:50 AM
I think its lunacy to have such a dangerous substance in a school

Mjollnir
September 30th, 2004, 12:57 PM
I think its lunacy to have such a dangerous substance in a school

If it was in a chem lab the uses for it could be various.

Garden, what was it stored in?? an amber colored bottle or a plastic jug??? Methylamine is highly flammable...it's flash point is MINUS 0.4 F... as well as corrosive, so it should have been properly stored in a flammables cabinet on the premises, as should all materials there, acids, caustics, flammables etc. in their respective containment cabinets. Whoever was transporting it should have also been wearing safety glasses and chemical resistant gloves in case an incident happened....which in fact it did...and whoever uses it for whatever reason should also be wearing an air purifying respirator. garden, could you tell me a little more about what maybe it was being used for??? and what other materials you may know of on the premises.

Garden of Eden
September 30th, 2004, 01:06 PM
I can't be sure of what it was stored in... But I know that the safety inspector declared it was the correct type of container.