PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have some good turtle-keeping tips for me?

Ahautenites
September 30th, 2004, 03:26 PM
The guys at work brought in this 1.5 inch snapping turtle to scare us women. But I happen to think turtles are adorable. So, they gave him to me to care for. Only thing is, I have no idea how to care for a turtle. I've been perusing the Internet for information on keeping them. So far, what I have is that they are hardy, omnivorous, dirty, and likely to mistake fingers for food when they get older. But that if you are careful, they can make good pets, even if they *do* grow rather large.

Shanti
September 30th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Why not set it free. Snapping turtles are not good pets as they do grow large and will be agressive forever. You can not tame a snapping turtle. They also are very dirty as they spend most of their time in water and their poop is liguid and smelly. Once it gets about 4 inches...it will stink!!
They need a lot of meat protient and calcium. It needs a very large variety of aquatic foods such as snails, larva, fish.
Also keeping it captive only hurts it. It most likely will not grow as well and it will never be able to breed and add to the wildlife population of its own species.

If you want a pet please go by a captive reared box turtle or something.

Shanti
September 30th, 2004, 04:14 PM
And to add, once it gets large, it wont be handlable. Snappers can reach and bite all the way around their shell. There really isnt a guarenteed way to handle them with out some risk. The damage an adult snapper can do to a human hand is great!!!

Ahautenites
September 30th, 2004, 04:16 PM
**Nods** You're right. I'll let her go on my way home. I just can't let her go here. The big rigs will flatten the poor thing. There's a nice pond in the cemetery near home where she'd find everything she needs.

Shanti
September 30th, 2004, 04:36 PM
I know whenever I come across a creature of nature, I feel its because wildlife knows I am a friend of nature and not a hinderance.

Its such a good feeling to know that nature intrusted one of its creatures to a human that will see to it that what came from the wild will go back to the wild.
Whenever I am in that situtation, I look for the most perfect habitat I can find then I thank the creature for sharing the time with me that it did. It feels so good to say think you for sharing. So many people live in cities or other locals where they just never have the opportunity to expirance natures wild creatures close up. Its an honor, in my opinion, to get opportunities such as this.

I also like to ask the spirits of nature to guide their little creature through a fulfilling life.

I believe the spirits of nature will be grateful for you partisapation in returning its creature back into natures arms.

:)

Ahautenites
October 1st, 2004, 08:08 AM
Dribble's in a nice shallow part of the reservoir where she can eat greenery and bugs and stuff to her heart's content. :) I knew I really didn't want to be responsible for her care when my mother told me that her next door neighbor had to sever the head off theirs because it had latched onto a child's arm and wouldn't let go.

Oh, by the way.... I forgot to mention why I was half-wanting to keep her in the first place: It's because it's illegal to sell, buy or keep turtles of any kind in Massachusetts. They were deemed too disease-ridden by the state.

Old Witch
October 1st, 2004, 01:29 PM
I have lots of turtles as pets.....I have a lot of sliders, red eared and common, young and very old. I have a pair of musk turtles and a Russian Tortoise and an Asian Box turtle......

Snapping turtles do not make good pets....You could lose fingers when they are small...or hands when they get large. First of all, are you sure it's a real snapping turtle? Some people call sliders snappers because they don't know the difference....

My turtles are kept in turtle designed aquariums with big filters, lots of places to get out of the water and are fed dried and fresh food...Except for the Russian tortoise.....a wet Russian tortoise is soon a dead russian tortoise....And my Asian Box turtle....which is actually a kind of aquatic box turtle......

Just make sure that you have a real snapper.....edited...I just read the whole thread, Good on you for letting it go......It's true, a snapper usually has to be killed to make it let go....I have provided for my turtles and tortoise in my will....Since one of my turtles is 30 years old and Boris, my tortoise, wiil outlive me, they all go to my son Bryant, who loves turtles as much as I do, even if I die before Ken....

Ahautenites
October 1st, 2004, 03:10 PM
Yep, I let her go. But yes, she was definitely a tiny snapping turtle. Mostly black carapace with a serrated edge tipped in white, and her tiny snout had a bony nub on it.

I've often wondered about less permanent methods of making a herptile let go of something it's latched onto. Wouldn't packing its head in ice make it let go?

Shanti
October 1st, 2004, 05:11 PM
Packing its head in ice would be at the least be a little impracticle as someone is in great pain and odds are it will piss the snapper off even more which in turn would cause it to bite down even harder.
I have already seen a snapper on the road take on a car tire. The tire got a huge hole torn out of it and the snapper was in no mood to get off the road. The people who stopped their car had the intention of moving the turtle. The turtle took the car as a threat and attacked it.
The people did get the turtle off the road when another car stopped to help. It took 2 men and a tree limb...a fat limb...to pull the turtle off the road. See, what they had to do was find something the turtle couldnt break in half...hence the big tree limb. Then when they held it in front of the turtle, the snapper did its 'natural' thing....it lunged and latched on. Because they are so unwilling to release, the men were able to drag it off the road. This snapper was over 2 ft in diameter.

When fishing with my ex once, my ex caught a 12 inch snapper on his fishing line on accident. He knew he couldnt get the hook out of the snappers mouth without loosing part of his hand so he figured he would cut the line about a foot from the snappers head. The snapper lunged and almost got my ex. He cut the line several feet away and let the snapper fall back into the water. Snappers can reach out their heads as far as the length of their shell...thats why their really isnt a safe way to handle one.

Snappers are not animals that think about stuff..they react and behave according to their natural instinct which is...bite, hang on and be aggressive...thats what they do, thats who they are. They are pure preditor and very self protective. :)