PDA

View Full Version : Pagans mentioned in the bible >.>?

pootki
October 4th, 2004, 09:44 PM
I was just wondering where in the Bible are pagans discussed. Like scripture number and the such would be nice. I just want to read about it and the such sense allot of Christians wig out about pagans and stuff. Im sorry if im beating this topic into the ground if it has been used before ^.^;;;

Thank you all

Galaxia
October 4th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Ω

StephanieAine
October 5th, 2004, 09:17 AM
That's a good way to do it (Galaxia's advice about using an online Bible for your search).

But be sure to remember, as you do your initial searching before you begin to read, you need to look for more than just the term 'pagan' = because the Bible often speaks of it using other terms. (Just as people sometimes say heathen, pagan, neopagan, and other words today. Like other books, the Bible uses the term that applies per the subject at hand).

Also, it helps to remember that it's very easy to overlook what you're looking for if you're concentrating on finding one particular term, or a certain sort of phrasing... and it's important to read in context (not just a sentence on one page and half ot a sentence a hundred pages later!)

I'm sleepy at the moment, so my thinking cap is falling off my head <g>... but my best suggestion right now is that you look for places in the Bible where it speaks of unbelievers/nonbelievers, people who 'have not yet' come to Christ or those who are 'called' (particularly when speaking of the time periods prior to a person becoming a believer), the role of the Holy Spirit, etc... because those are subjects which touch upon the pagan/non-pagan thing.

If you go into it just looking for a particular word or phrase without considering what *Christianity* - and Judaism as well - say about paganism (which is just a way of saying 'someone who doesn't believe in the God of the Bible' if you get right down to the bare essentials), then you won't get the information you're asking for. Instead, you'd end up with a set of sentences about pagans, witchcraft, sorcery, divination, or whatever... and it would be the same information you hear all the time.

If you want to get into the real inner workings of Christianity, you have to think like a Christian: a Christian, when looking for information on paganism in the Bible, would look for information having to do with people who had not dedicated themselves to Jesus Christ, or who practiced certain religious customs not permitted by the scriptures. The word 'pagan' is a good beginning search word, but that search will just skim the surface.

Because I am a Christian (the ordinary, non-pagan, non-witch, non-Wiccan sort of Christian!) - I've researched these subjects many times, and of course, I've come across them during the course of regular study as part of my own spiritual practice. One word that I bet you'd never think of researching in the scripture is the word "pole." If you look for the word "pole" you'll find references to trees, poles, "Asherah" and many other topics... and the spiritual/cultural customs/practices associated with them. What you'll be reading about, if you follow this line of thought and do the research, is ordinary paganism... and the essence of the message relates to ancient paganism as well as modern.

If you research using a *non*-virtual Bible (meaning the kind made of paper! Especially helpful for this kind of reading! LOL)... be sure that when you come across these passages that you read the whole thing in context... and the margin notes. If there are references given to other books/chapters of the Bible, it's a good idea to go ahead and look at those references so that you'll really be getting the big picture.

This may seem obvious to some thread readers but to others who are unfamiliar with the Bible, it may be important to mention that Christians divide the Bible in two halves - the Old Testament and the New Testament. (The Old Testament isn't called 'The Old Testament' if you're Jewish, though! It's their regular/current scripture). Christians, very generally speaking, believe in and follow *both* Testaments, since it's all the Bible <g>... however, Christians stress the New Testament since it contains the teachings of Jesus Christ during His earthly life.

So, in doing this research to find out what Christianity says about paganism (in other words, not what *Christians* - ordinary people -say about paganism... but what *the Bible* says about it>... bear in mind that the emphasis is on the New Testament with the Old Testament providing the foundation. (Read about the Centurion and you'll see something very interesting there... especially after you've read an extensive amount of information in various other parts of the Bible.)

About the people who "wig out" as you put it <g>...

There are countless denominations of Christianity - Catholic, Orthodox, a zillion different Protestant denominations, just tons and tons of specific groups - and although they're quite different, there are core beliefs in common. Most basic - (of course) - would be the belief that Jesus is Messiah, that He died for the sins of mankind, and that He is currently at the right hand of God.

But there are many differences of opinion within Christendom, and so when it comes to paganism (ancient and modern), there will be varying views about which Scripture passages take precendence over the others... and those views will determine the answer to your question in similar - but sometimes different ways. I don't think there's a denomination that would give a complete "thumbs up" to modern paganism - but I know there are denominations that simply understand that religious freedom is religious freedom. Basically, Christians may wish that people would get to know Jesus Christ, love Him, and follow Him... and we may pray for people, educate people, etc.... but beyond that, it's just not our call. Freedom of choice; free will, etcc.

As a devout believer myself, it's very important to me that I share my faith with others... but I don't push it on people. I personally think that it's embarrassing when I hear about Christians yelling at, threatening, or insulting non-Christians. But I do understand that many of them do it because they think they're *supposed* to (for some completely incomprehensible reason). I'm not trying to excuse the actions of the people who "wig out about pagans" as you put it; I just wanted to throw that thought into the mix.