PDA

View Full Version : Candle Making Questions

Romani Vixen
October 4th, 2004, 11:36 PM
Tomorrow I'm going to be picking up my kit for candle making. It comes with votive molds, but I also want to work on tapers right away.

so....

I've heard a couple of different things on colors. Most people say that crayons are the cheapest bet, but I've seen a site that claims that the color either won't be strong enough, or that the color will be clumpy. Thoughts? Ideas? Experiences?

What do you use to scent your candles? I'm probably not going to be doing this right off the bat, but I want to think ahead. Do you just use the stuff that they sell at the crafts stores? Can you use essential oils?

What have you found to be a good temperature for dipping tapers? I tried it *years* ago, but mine always ended up skinny (no matter how much dipping) and not quite straight.

Any other hints and tips would be helpful!!!!

Oh... one other thing... not quite on candle making... but candle dressing. When dressing it for a spell... which direction do you go?

Thanks to all!!!

Wulf Stormhand
October 5th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Well first you find it a nice cloak...LOL seriously
to bring something to you (i.e. love) you dress the candle from the ends towards the middle,
to push something away (i.e. negative energy) you dress it from the center out towards the ends...

Hope this helps.

Brightest Blessings,
Wulf Stormhand

emmunite
October 5th, 2004, 02:54 AM
As far a scents and colours...I use essential oils for scent and, for colour, the dye from the craft store. I've used both liquid and solid colour. Liquid is more intense and be forewarned...it can stain your fingers or what ever else it lands on (my cutting board is a prime example), the solid is a bit of a pain, the one's I've got come in blocks and shaving it down is cumbersome. As far as tapers...not so sure on that. The most popular one I've made is a gel candle scented with dragons blood oil and dyed red. I've never used crayons for dye...worth a try at least once. You never know until you've tried it. Experiment and you'll find what's best for you. Best of luck and have fun with it!

Romani Vixen
October 8th, 2004, 01:58 AM
Thanks for the help!

I'm working on some votives as we speak!!! :D type.... whatever ;)