PDA

View Full Version : Why the claim on no labels?

Haerfest Leah
October 8th, 2004, 09:02 AM
I read a lot that "I don't use labels" and labels are bad. Whats the reasoning behind this? Yes no one should have to be pinned down as any one specific thing I guess but thats the way the world and society works. If you can't define what you are or where you fall people look at you like oh they don't count because they have no clue who they are. And yes I know someone will say " it shouldn't matter what anyone thinks" but thats not my point here. Why not be able define yourself? Are you scared of the fact that now that you've called yourself something that now you have to live to it so you avoid it at all costs, what?

savannahrose44
October 8th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Labels have their time and place some are just more comfortable with who and what they are than others. I think that is why they tend to shy away from them...that and there are a lot of negative connotations that come with being labled and some people just arent able to shrug all that off like others do. :falloffch

Haerfest Leah
October 8th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Labels have their time and place some are just more comfortable with who and what they are than others. I think that is why they tend to shy away from them...that and there are a lot of negative connotations that come with being labled and some people just arent able to shrug all that off like others do. :falloffch

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks

Ben Trismegistus
October 8th, 2004, 09:13 AM
I think that a lot of people find labels confining. That if they describe themselves using a particular label, they have change themselves to fit every characteristic of that label.

But that's not true at all. I call myself a "liberal" despite the fact that some of my views on social welfare and the economy are moderate or even conservative.

The purpose of a label is to find community. I know that if I meet other liberals, they will be people who share at least a certain percentage of political views with me. But there is no need to change yourself to fit a label. The way a label works is that first you figure out exactly what you believe. Then, you look at the labels available and see if one fits you. If one doesn't, no big deal. But if one is a good fit, why not use it? It doesn't change who you are.

I considered myself agnostic for a number of years, and had my own personal spiritual beliefs that I thought weren't shared by anyone. Imagine my surprise when I discovered Wicca and found that Wiccan beliefs were a nearly perfect match with mine! Now, after years of having thought that I was alone in my views, I now have a huge community of people.

Haerfest Leah
October 8th, 2004, 09:21 AM
But there is no need to change yourself to fit a label. The way a label works is that first you figure out exactly what you believe. Then, you look at the labels available and see if one fits you. If one doesn't, no big deal. But if one is a good fit, why not use it? It doesn't change who you are.

That is a great way to explain it. :)

savannahrose44
October 8th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks

No problem...just my two cents worth. :nyah:

DebLipp
October 8th, 2004, 10:29 AM
One way to look at a label is it's like a diagnosis. If you don't diagnose a disorder, you don't know how to treat it. Some parents don't want their kids diagnosed as ADHD because it's a "label" and they don't want their kids "confined" by labels. I think that's nonsense. The "label" allows you to figure out appropriate treatment, to qualify for insurance, to get certain kinds of support (i.e. special ed) and so on. It also really helps all concerned to know that there's a "real" label for a condition, that it's not disjointed (i.e. instead of treating each symptom separately you can perceive and react to a cluster), and that it's not "all in your head." It provides context.

"Labelling" yourself some kind of religion or political party or whatever is really very similar. By having an area to look at, you know where to seek further. If you "label" yourself Wiccan, you know to investigate further in the area of Wicca for things that might appeal to and support you. You know to talk to other Wiccans for information that Druids, for example, might lack. You can have atypical qualities and still be Wiccan, but it gives you grounding and a starting point, as well as a sense of community and connection.

savannahrose44
October 8th, 2004, 11:01 AM
I see what youre saying deb and I agree to a point...but I also think its possible to accomplish these things without labeling yourself to one religon or another. It is not needed, unless that is what makes you feel more comfortable of course. :tongueout

SparkleWytch
October 8th, 2004, 11:38 AM
IMO, labels as far as religion or such are important. It is a way of explaining your faith or a way of having others understand or know. I however do not like labels as far as a person's personal style. "I'm punk" or "I'm goth" etc. Those are very confining especially to someone like me who is a lot of everything. I think that labels do have a time and place and can be quite important sometimes. It just depends on when and where.
Hopefully my early morning ramblings make sense :)

savannahrose44
October 8th, 2004, 11:46 AM
IMO, labels as far as religion or such are important. It is a way of explaining your faith or a way of having others understand or know. I however do not like labels as far as a person's personal style. "I'm punk" or "I'm goth" etc. Those are very confining especially to someone like me who is a lot of everything. I think that labels do have a time and place and can be quite important sometimes. It just depends on when and where.

Yes they are important......if.....you are comfortable saying that you identify with one religon or another.

Haerfest Leah
October 8th, 2004, 01:04 PM

I agree on all of the above, I think one needs a label when it comes to religion but I agree it is too hard to label a person in general like in personality, style etc.

dreamweaver
October 8th, 2004, 01:55 PM
I am sixty two and for the past 45 of them have lived withno lables at all as far as religion is conscerned.I have never found anything I feel comfortable with and at my age I honestly don't think I will.I have my own belief system that I feel comfortable with and don't feel the urge to change something that has worked for me this far.It is honestly no ones buisness as to how I pray It is that I do

Athena-Nadine
October 8th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Some find labels or titles confining. I found mine to be freeing. The labels didn't trap me in some box to suffocate. They freed me to accept who I am and be who I am.

Mab
October 8th, 2004, 02:17 PM
I don't label myself b/c I don't fit neatly in any pigeonhole. I typically don't like labels b/c ppl tend to hear the label & forget the individual. Ex: I say "I'm a Christian" and ppl immediatly think they know exactly everything about what I believe & who I am & make an instantaneous judgement on me without bothering to discuss. Or, for another example, I refuse to label myself "Pro Life" b/c I don't agree 100% with the Pro-Life movement's tactics, ethics, or opinions/beliefs on abortion. But I'm not quite fully "Pro Choice" either.

I just find labels to be limiting & to often garner a lot of misunderstanding about individuals.

Pandoras
October 8th, 2004, 09:28 PM
I suppose it depends on the label, but generally I don't mind them. In fact, I embrace labels to some degree and think they can serve an important purpose. I see labels as a form of definition and it is my opinion that if one can't define and label oneself, how can one explain oneself to others? Also, as others have pointed out, a label helps one identify others of like mind. Additionally, I believe using the label "Pagan witch" openly with non-Pagans presents a good image, that Pagan witches are normal people.

Also, I don't think that labels pigeonhole people, but rather set them apart. I don't want to get rid of labels (not that it would ever happen anyway) because I don't want to be grouped in one huge mass of generic people.

Romani Vixen
October 8th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Labels are a fact of life. Calling a tree a "tree" is to label it. My name is a label.

Some people, however, find more that they don't really fit into any category well, and choose to remain outside of those categories. Im sure that there are others who are doing it just to be obstinant.

Rubber_Piggy
October 8th, 2004, 09:55 PM
I considered myself agnostic for a number of years, and had my own personal spiritual beliefs that I thought weren't shared by anyone. Imagine my surprise when I discovered Wicca and found that Wiccan beliefs were a nearly perfect match with mine! Now, after years of having thought that I was alone in my views, I now have a huge community of people.

:) same thing happened to me

I tend to think of labels as generalisations. So if a call someone by a label, that means generally they are XXX, however individuals always have personal beliefs. I think that the people who dont' like/fear labels are the people that think that it means they fit that label to the letter and/or have to change to fit the label so.

I personally find it quite amusing when someone tries to label me b/c it normally shows how little they now about me :dontknow:

WingedTigerChild
October 8th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Labels are, in every sense of the word, materialistic and materialism has become an all-out cliché. I don't see any reason why a person can't just "be." Sort of an "I am that I am" deal. Labels have a time and a place, but I believe that anyone who "obsesses" over having or being a certain label or labels relies too much on the materialistic point-of-view.

Pan
October 9th, 2004, 12:20 AM
I really don't see the problem with labels. I use them.

Doodlebug
October 9th, 2004, 02:45 AM
Personally I'm one of those types of people who actually like labels. I mean, I know that nobody fits perfectly into a label but I have just always liked labels. They help to categorize things I guess.