View Full Version : Lesson Three, Part Two - Scrying rituals

October 11th, 2004, 08:31 PM
Below are rituals that can be used for all four of the previously mentioned scrying techniques. These are used to help calm your mind, and to aid you in the ritual that is involved in trying to gaze into past, present, and future.

Part I: Setting up your "work space"

Before beginning the meditation or ritual, you should get all materials ready and situated where you would like them to be. A crystal ball, candle, or bowl of water are most commonly placed front and center, where you can gaze into it easily, but where it does not catch your reflection.

A scrying mirror can be laid flat, or tilted against something, and again, should not catch your reflection.

Some people prefer to set the object that they will be gazing into where it is just at the corner of their vision - some find it more difficult to see images when gazing at an object directly. I recommend trying different things to find out what works best for you.

If you are planning to accent your experience with stones, candles, or herbs, go ahead and place these around where they will not interfere with the object you will be gazing into.

I strongly recommend keeping a journal or tablet close by so that you can write down what you see either during the ritual (this may disturb your meditative state), or immediately afterwards.

Part II: Meditation

Here is a simple meditation that you can use to clear your mind, and center yourself. You can use any such meditation, this is just an example.

Sit in a comfortable position (I prefer cross-legged with my hands resting lightly palm-up on my knees).

Begin breathing as though you are pretending to be asleep. Breathe in deeply, hold for 5 seconds, breathe out, hold for 5 seconds, and continue this pattern for several minutes.

Focus on your feet. Feel them relax, and feel the tension leaving you. Continue this all along your body up to the top of your head.

Once your body is totally relaxed, it will begin to feel heavy. Imagine yourself floating down a stream, going wherever the waters take you, and being cleansed by the water... banishing all negative thoughts, all expectations, and all impurities. Count slowly to 10. When you reach 10, you should be in a completely relaxed and meditative state.

When you are done with this meditative exercise, count slowly backwards from 10, imagining your body becoming more alive with each number closer to 1. When you reach 1, open your eyes. You should feel relaxed, energized, and free of any expectations of the ritual to come.

In other words... go with the flow.

Part III: Ritual

You may choose to cast a circle, but it is not necessary.

Rituals tend to work best when they are constructed by the person who will be performing it. It should be something that makes sense to you, and that is easy for you to remember. I prefer to keep them short for scrying, because after the meditation, I don't want to lose my relaxed state by trying to remember a long and complicated chant.

For example:

Goddess Kali, hear me now,
Aid me in this magickal rite,
help me to find my inner sight.

Short and simple, it expresses my desire, and is easy to remember.

You can repeat the chant, or simply meditate on it, while gazing into the scrying object. Keep your mind open, and think of a question once you feel your purpose has been expressed.

Be patient - scrying doesn't work every time - or always right away. :)

Part IV: Interpreting what you see

One of the most important things to remember, is that different symbols mean different things to different people. When interpreting symbols, signs, visions, or even scenes, remember to reflect first upon each individual peice, and what those mean to you, and then peice them together into something that makes sense. What seems obvious at first may not be what you are truly meant to see, so make sure that you pay as much attention to detail as possible.

For symbols and their meanings, check out this thread: http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=51851

Well, that should get you started - good luck with your scrying!

October 12th, 2004, 10:11 AM
Try scrying with one of the 4 methods previously mentioned... and let us know what works best for you.

Also, if you are comfortable, please share your chants/rituals here.