View Full Version : About cultural reconstructionist paths

October 13th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Hello all ,

I was wondering if choosing a cultural constructionist type path like ex: Celtic recon , Irish recon , scottish recon ,anglo saxon recon etc. should have something to do with ones own heredity , i am asking this because i am heavily of Irish descent but i dont feel overly drawn to any of the Celtic deities it seems , actually the Goddess i have felt the deepest connection to in my research is Isis which would fall under Kemetic i do believe , and I dont know when interested in reconstructionism if its ok to mix different cultures or not.... sorry if this doesnt make much sense im just trying to figure out which direction to go with my path ( ive been in the research stage for a few years now im hoping to start actively participating in my path once im clear on what path it is im seeking)its all very confusing...sorry for rambling lol

Morag Elasaid Ni Dhomhnaill
October 13th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Morwyn, no you don't have to follow the gods of your ancestors at all. It is best to work with those gods and cultures you feel kinship with you. If it's Egyptian for you, then go right ahead.

As for the mixing of cultures in reconstructionist paths. Well that depends. For instance, we have a thread on Celto-Germanic reconstructionism going on right now here at MW. This is a perfectly plausible and acceptable blending of religions and cultures, because there was a lot of inter-mingling between these two peoples, especially on the continent and in areas like the Orkney, Shetland, and Western Isles of Scotland. Romano-Celtic is another common blending of two cultures and their religions to form a new one. You can find quite a bit of information about this sort of thing online and in books as well. Many Egyptian dieties, most especially Isis, enjoyed quite a bit of popularity in the Roman Empire, so this too would make sense.

However, there are some combinations that just don't work. For example mixing Celtic and Egyptian beliefs wouldn't be a good idea, because there wasn't really any interaction between these two peoples and thus nothing to really base your practices off. And that is the key to a reconstructionist path, having historical evidence on which to base your religion.

October 13th, 2004, 08:59 PM
I'm an Irish Recon.
I have ABSOLUTELY no Irish blood or ancestors (as far as I know).

In fact, my family is Jewish - hence coming originally from the middle east (even though my relatives are from Europe & South America).. But no, absolutely NO Irish/Celtic connection whatsoever.

Yet the Irish Pantheon, Religion, Culture, History, Music, Etc speak to me the most.

October 13th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Ok so I can be 75% Irish and explore the Kemetic faith , only thing is its not that im not drawn to the Celtic culture its just the deities. So far i just feel very drawn to Isis yet the kemetic 42 Negative Confessions intimidates me a bit. To clear up my confusion a bit any information regarding both Kemetic Recon and Celtic Recon would be greatly appreciated , I dont mean to mix the two I just feel I need to know more about both cultures and pantheons , thankyou for your responses :)

Morag Elasaid Ni Dhomhnaill
October 13th, 2004, 09:31 PM
I'll just post some links to threads here that have discussed the various forms of Celtic Reconstructionism and also Kemet.

Celtic Recon: http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=59493
Scottish Recon: http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=53903
Irish Recon: http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=53566
Pictish: http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=57229
Kemet: www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=50338 and http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=59746

There are a few other threads around here dealing with them, but these are the main ones.

October 13th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Thankyou very much for the links Morag :) im sure they will help me get closer to choosing my path

October 14th, 2004, 05:25 AM
no, there's no need to be related to your chosen culture whatsoever. I think though, that a relation to them is probably what draws people to those specific paths in the first place, if you know what I mean :)

Good luck! :hugz:

ap Dafydd
October 14th, 2004, 07:59 AM
If it doesn't call to you, then don't go for it. If you're drawn to the Egyptian path, then don't let the fact that you're not Egyptian hold you back.

What's important is to do it properly and not feel that you in some way "ought" to be doing something else

gwyn eich byd

October 14th, 2004, 08:21 AM
do what calls to you.

as for mixing - i think it can be done but it has to be done carefully and with respect. im pretty much all welsh (though im sure there is something or other thrown in there somewhere waaaay back) and the welsh lot are my main focus.

that said i have a shrine to Anubis at home and 'work' with him after he follwed me home one day. another totally culturally different group i tend to do stuff with are the gede from voodoun beleifs. again they followed me home and have set up shop.

the key is to try not to shoehorn them inot what you want, so perhaps oinvoking some welsh lot and Baron Samedi using an egyptian invocation is going too far and will piss people off.

they each have thier time and place and that needs to be respected.

October 14th, 2004, 10:42 AM
Ok thank you its great to get others perspective on this , it helps me be clearer about my path :)