PDA

View Full Version : Diaper rash

Yvonne Belisle
October 14th, 2004, 11:33 PM
What do you choose to use on severe diaper rashes?

misschief
October 14th, 2004, 11:33 PM
bag baum(sp?).. the stuff they use on cow teets.

MorningDove030202
October 14th, 2004, 11:37 PM
A & D ointment, the normal kind, not the white stuff, and Burts Bees Diaper oinment... it smells like rosemary and lavender....MMMMMMM.
Dove

Shanti
October 14th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Desitine!

edenbolake
October 15th, 2004, 12:01 AM
MM,
the best thing for severe diaper rash is what I used on all three of my children, nieces and nephews , old fashioned argo corn starch . Clears it right up.

blessings edenbolake

What do you choose to use on severe diaper rashes?

Autumn
October 15th, 2004, 12:24 AM
You have to ask your Pharmasist for it, usually...Aloe Vesta, it really works good unless it's a yeast infection. In which case you need Rx Lotrimin or something...

Bandia
October 15th, 2004, 01:28 AM
My daughter went from clean and clear one morning to bleeding that night. First application A&D ointment (clear, Vaseline and something else) and the following morning the corn starch. Took care of it immediately. If it's not to the point of broken skin, I'd try corn starch, plain ol Argo corn starch, as recommended by eden.

FlyingBear
October 15th, 2004, 01:40 AM
Corn starch is what I usually use. Sophia has sensitive skin and often the other stuff is just too much for her. Also, air and sunshine help diaper rash tremendously. Be sure to double check that it's diaper rash and *not* a yeast infection because often zinc oxide can make it far worse.

Good luck!

:tub:

phoenix1010
October 15th, 2004, 06:20 AM
My son gets a diaper rash pretty quickly at times. I know I try to let it get as much air as possible. I'll have to try the corn starch next time.

Ceres
October 15th, 2004, 11:06 AM
a squirt of breastmilk cleared up every diaper rash we had around here...and its FREE lol
the antibiotic properties kill bacteria and promote healing. we used cloth diapers too!

Tzhebee
October 15th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Depending on kind of rash. My son has exceptionall sensitive skin. If he is just red/irritated I use a corn-starch or medicated baby powder. But it it's red/swollen and sensitive to the touch, I use Creamy Desitin to clear it up and then coat with A&D to ensure it doesn't come back. Because when he's swollen, the powder seems to stick to him, making it painful to wipe off.

Llewyth
October 15th, 2004, 11:43 PM
a squirt of breastmilk cleared up every diaper rash we had around here...and its FREE lol
the antibiotic properties kill bacteria and promote healing. we used cloth diapers too!
Breastmilk! Ooooo! Hadn't thought of that one! Thanks! :clapping:

Aowyn
October 16th, 2004, 12:14 AM
I use nursery gel if its not too bad, AD works really well too and so does desitin...gotto try that breastmilk trick I know it works on baby pimples.

LadyMoreta
October 16th, 2004, 12:46 AM
with my kids nothing worked better then just making sure they were clean and not putting anything on it. all the usual stuff(powder, Desitin, corn starch) made it worse. i think with them tho it was just them having really sensitive skin and anything like powder or Desitin used when changing their diapers caused it.

Asrai
October 16th, 2004, 12:51 AM
When I had my first child, my fiances Mother bought us a jar of (Diaper X), it can be bought at a drug store and also on ebay. It works awesome, we used it for all three of our daughters. I hope you find something that works....

Ceres
October 16th, 2004, 08:01 AM
geez, i hadnt thought to put breastmilk on the baby pimples - thats a great idea! i used breastmilk when the kids would get conjuctivitus - u know, the goopy glued together eye thats so contagious. it doesnt sting like the eye drops and clears it up in a day or two. the older kids think its hilarious too.

MorningDove030202
October 16th, 2004, 11:20 AM
I had a friend who is alergic to lanolin (wool) which is found in a lot of lotion products....and her parents didn't realize it and it made her diaper rash worse...... So, if your diaper rash products seam to make things worse, check to see if there is lanolin in it, and if anyone else in the family is alergic to Wool.

Dove

LadyTrinity
October 16th, 2004, 12:22 PM
I use zinc cream you can find at any dollar store. its thick and white. its really good stuff!

Valkie
October 16th, 2004, 02:54 PM
Normal diaper rashes I use a&d mediated... with a sever diaper rash there is a possibility that it is a yeast infection. You can tell the difference because a yeast infection eats in a circular pattern at the edges. You can bring the baby to the drs and they will give a script for yeast infection diaper rashes... or you could just use a vaginal OTC cream. That will usually clear it up in a day or two.

Yvonne Belisle
October 16th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Tried gold bond powder and ointment, baby powder and cornstarch, plus orajel for pain, have also used A & D ointment. It is lighter but still here and not a yeast infection.

Valkie
October 16th, 2004, 07:40 PM
well, if you've tried everything maybe just leaving it alone. Give breaks in between diaper changes of around 15 minutes to let everything air out. It could be that all the different products are causing a reaction.

MorningDove030202
October 17th, 2004, 05:58 AM
Oatmeal baths are good too. And so is running around naked.

Dove

Ceres
October 17th, 2004, 06:53 AM
i second the running around nekkid....tho this seems to cause more problems for adults so i dont recommend it as a cure all ;)

Yvonne Belisle
October 17th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Other than my hubbie we are naked people so that isn't a problem. Naked is good.

Hellenic_Witch
October 17th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Desitin works every time!!!

MockingbirdOxygen
October 18th, 2004, 04:05 PM
I agree with everyone that said to let it air out, just watch out if you've got a boy...lol, mine sprayed a fountain on the walls and all that way...:smile:
Also, my kids almost never got a rash, and I basically just did the bathe and leave it alone method of caring for their bottoms. Sometimes, I think the more you mess with stuff, the worse it gets. And I just never bothered with baby powder, because when I first started having kids, I 'd read that it doesn't do that much good, and can actually cause irritation to the respiratory tract since it tends to poof out into the air when you're putting it on. I had to fend off my mom, because she was so old-school about it... like, "you're not putting any powder on him? What kind of a mother are you?"
Also, if your baby's getting a rash all of a sudden, think back to see if his diet has changed recently, and eliminate any new suspicious food, to see if it clears up. Another possibility that some others mentioned is that it could be a yeast infection, babies can be prone to that, and some more than others. I'm all for breastfeeding too, I tend to think it keeps them healthier, more rash-free too it seems, but if you are breastfeeding 1) check your diet 2) he/she could contract a yeast infection, and you don't have to have one for him to develop one; my doc told me that women sometimes just carry yeast on their bodies, and if it gets out of balance the baby could get it from nursing (called thrush when in/on the mouth) or even from his digestive tract, therefore causing the rash on his booty. :smooch:
If it is a yeast infection, I think the reason you have to handle it differently is because the normal things you would put on a rash would actually lock in the moisture next to his skin...the perfect breeding grounds for the infection.

Ceres
October 18th, 2004, 04:06 PM
whatever u do, dont let them run around nekkid after u put the desitin on lol

Mau
October 18th, 2004, 06:04 PM
Depends...regular diaper rash..Caldesene powder, or corn starch.
BUT if a diaper rash persists or looks worse..it isnt' a diaper rash anymore. It's gone fungal, and turned into a yeast infection. The only way to properly treat that is a prescription of Nystatin.

soilsigh aingeal
October 18th, 2004, 07:24 PM
I use stuff called Butt Paste. I swear by it. It's a little pricey but the rash is usually gone w/in 2 days if it's severe, like after a case of the runs or something. And over night if it's not so bad but worse than just red

Yvonne Belisle
October 18th, 2004, 11:17 PM
Where do I find this butt paste? I am willing to give it a try.

soilsigh aingeal
October 18th, 2004, 11:26 PM
I have seen it at walmart a few times and I also found it at my local drug store. I originally bought it online though here's a link http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2626225&sourceid=1500000000000000629180 this is walmart online and this is actually cheaper than the first one I bought which was $21 plus shipping for the 1lb tub at the site I bought it from. They do come in tubes too if you want to try and find it in a store.
THe tubes are four and eight ounces I think.

~*Ginger*~
October 19th, 2004, 09:20 AM
Breastmilk! Ooooo! Hadn't thought of that one! Thanks! :clapping:
Breastmilk is good for lots of things...very healing.
Biggest & funniest for mine, was when their eye's gave them some type of problem.
Ever try putting milk in a babies eye's, and their mouth goes open trying for it instead?!! :lol:
Cute & sweet!

Mine never had diaper rash, but these things are good to know.

My sister's two oldest, other grandmother is hispanic. She always used flour on her's when they suffered daiper rash.

Morag Elasaid Ni Dhomhnaill
October 20th, 2004, 05:03 PM
We always use the Aveno diaper rash creme with zinc oxzide. Seems to work fine for us. And of course letting him air out first.

soilsigh aingeal
October 27th, 2004, 06:31 PM
My sister's two oldest, other grandmother is hispanic. She always used flour on her's when they suffered daiper rash.
I've heard of that before.

rhee
November 4th, 2004, 12:50 AM
I always let mine run around naked to air dry so they never had rashes. However my nephew had difficulty with rashes and I made an ointment with beeswax, calendula, and goldenseal that cleared it up in a few days. It is an ointment I use for minor scrapes and bruises. We used it as a last resort and it seemed to work. You may also want to try switching diaper brands.
Good luck!

OriginalWacky
November 4th, 2004, 01:41 AM
You could try the Maalox thing. Use a cotton ball to smooth Maalox all over the rash. There is a product called PinXav that is pretty decent. Try using a bulb syringe to clean bottom instead of rubbing with anything. Airing out is always good. There is a prodict caled Triple Paste which is supposed to be effective. You can infuse sunflower oil with calendule sweet almond oil, lavender, chamomile, and vitamin E and try that. Yet another product is Daiper Defense (comes in cream and spray I believe). Calendula and chickweed ointments are good. There's an herbal remedy called PediaDerm that is good. Some other herbs that can be good (usually used as tea to wash bottoms, or infused in almond oil and strained) are: Comfrey, Chamomile, Lavender, Marigold, Elder Flowers, Marshmallow Root or Rosemary. Aloe cream can often help. Simply using a cotton ball dipped in mineral oil can be good.

Want me to keep going? LOL Strangely enough, I didn't have too many problems with daiper rash.