PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Samhain?

Amadore
October 15th, 2004, 11:55 PM
This is probably really dumb, but how do you pronounce "Samhain"?

halfwaynowhere
October 15th, 2004, 11:58 PM
Sah-men, but i don't know if its correct.

Lunamoth
October 16th, 2004, 12:13 AM
It's pronounced: Sow-en
Which syllable is emphasized is often up for debate.

AuroraSilvermist
October 16th, 2004, 12:16 AM
I've most often heard it pronounced SAH-when, with the accent on the first syllable. And that is how I pronounce it. :)

halfwaynowhere
October 16th, 2004, 12:19 AM
yeah, i've read about it being pronounced that way, but i just haven't been able to say it like that.

SylverStar
October 16th, 2004, 12:21 AM
I say it Sow When.

Lunamoth
October 16th, 2004, 12:30 AM
The main thing to remember is that it's a word that comes from Gaelic (Webster's attributes it to Irish) and the combination of 'mh' makes a 'w' sound. As far as the exact vowels go, it can often depend upon your own accent as to how you end up saying it. What I mean is, regardless of how I may suggest a phoenetic spelling, a person from the Southern US may hear it differently in their head than someone living in Nova Scotia. So I wouldn't fret too much over it. :)

RedRaven
October 16th, 2004, 03:45 AM
SOW-WHEN or SOW-IN are both acceptable

tygherrayn
October 16th, 2004, 04:24 AM
*chuckles*

Sah-when ... at least if I'm just thinking about it and not reading it. Inevitably, when I see it written, my brain makes me say Sam-Hayn. I have to slow down and think about it to say it right. Or .. well .. what I think of as right.

Luminara
November 9th, 2004, 04:29 PM
*chuckles*

Sah-when ... at least if I'm just thinking about it and not reading it. Inevitably, when I see it written, my brain makes me say Sam-Hayn. I have to slow down and think about it to say it right. Or .. well .. what I think of as right.

That's exactly what I do!~ Lol :flowers: I have to keeep telling myself that I pronounce it like Sow - in!

Aquarian_Moon
November 9th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Must admit that I do the exact same thing; read it Sam-Hane (Man, that was a funny story when I first heard it!!! The person doesn't even exist!!!), even though I know it to be SOW-WEN, and say so when speaking it.

But I've heard from fellow Wiccans in my area, that it doesn't make any difference how you pronounce it. This goes the very same for many other Pagan words too, such as Deity, and Athame (A-THAW-Mé, ATAW-Mé, A-THAW-ME?, etc...) and the like. It's all up to your own personal discretion. Nobody really cares how you say it, as long as they understand what you're talking about.

Bansheekisses
November 9th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Saw-when is actually how it is pronounced in Ireland... and in Nova scotia for the most part..
I am canadian and i guess i fallow thier example..
Saw-when

Aquarian_Moon
November 9th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Saw-when is actually how it is pronounced in Ireland... and in Nova scotia for the most part..
I am canadian and i guess i fallow thier example..
Saw-when That's good to know for whenever I visit Nova Scotia or Ireland. Thanks a lot!!! :cheers:

wakywitch
November 9th, 2004, 05:38 PM
Sow-en