PDA

View Full Version : My Son has chosen Wicca....just want a tad of advice :) And he has a question...

Frodo
October 16th, 2004, 09:21 AM
MM, Everybody!

I am thrilled that my eldest son, Rex (he's17) has finally chosen to become Wiccan. I've given him my copies of Cunningham's "Wicca for the Solitary Practioner", plus a few others. He didn't come to this descision overnight, he's given it a great deal of thought.
I'm confident in my teaching and guiding abilities, but was just wondering if anyone might have a few other books that might be helpful (We have "Teen Witch" by Silver Ravenwolf). And if anyone has any advice as far as teaching him. I'm taking more or less a hands on approach and have gone over any questions he has. He actually quite excited about this and feels wonderful about finally finding his religious path in life. The main reason I'm posting this, is that I want to give him a good, strong basis to start out with (I was on my own and self taught).
Another question is has anyone ran across books that we just pretty much avoid (i.e. the redundant rip off and misinformation ones).:reading:
Here's his question, he doesn't want to be called a Warlock and wants to go by Wizard or something along those lines....any suggestions?
I've known for years he'd pick this path, he has so many gifts and I want to nourish those. He's a great kid and I want to make sure he gets off on the right foot.
Thanks so much!

BB, Frodo :boing:

Ceres
October 16th, 2004, 09:42 AM
what a great bonding experience for the two of you! i hope my own kids share at least some of my religous/philosophical beleifs someday. my favorite nonfiction is the witches bible by stewart and janet farrar. in particular, i think the chapters about the rationale of the craft are the most helpful. a good basis in mythology, which interests most kids and teens is prolly a good place to start with him. he might enjoy reading historical/mythological fiction for this. i am reading the mists of avalon right now and i am continally struck by how much more i recognize in symbolism and mythology every time i reread it. the davinci code by dan brown might be helpful in getting him started researching the actual facts about the feminine aspect in religion throughout history.
a note of advice on teaching your own children from a homeschooling parent: try to allow your son the chance to be self taught and directed. its important for kids to find their own way and feel they have the freedom to direct their focus. if they feel they are being pushed toward a way of thinking they often rebel. think of your role more as guiding and nudging than teaching and supplying a ready made curriculum.

LittlePerson
October 16th, 2004, 09:50 AM
Frodo, I'd just like to say that I'm not wiccan, I'm an eclectic pagan who worships Eros. So, what I can say is congratulations to you both. I have read many books. The one I bought and learned a lot from is Idiots Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft. I was hesitant at first from the title since I already knew some about Wicca and I don't consider myself an idiot, but it was very helpful and would be good to have on a bookshelf for continued reference. If you have a good liberal library (which unfortunately we don't but it's slowly changing), why not send your son to the library for a day and let him choose some books to bring home and read. And if there any he wants to buy he'll know ahead of time how the books are written and it won't be a waste of money. I have found this useful myself, having a background in education and wanting to be a librarian. That way instead of just peruseing the local bookstore and taking home something you may not want in your home library after reading it, you won't have to. Again congratulations and I am so happy for you both that you have a spiritual path you can share together. That is becoming more rare these days within families.

Autumn
October 16th, 2004, 11:24 AM
I have known several men who referrewd to themselves as witches and hold their heads high in doing so.

May I suggest Christopher Penczac's inner and outer temples of witchcraft and the CD's that do with them, they do a wonderful job of teaching meditation and approach the topics clearly and lucidly. I have issues with the history he presents but I would say that of 75% of authors anyhow so what else is new?

Hugs to both of you!

Lunacie
October 16th, 2004, 12:00 PM
I’m glad that your son has found a spiritual path he is comfortable learning about. This is a lifelong journey of learning and growth and change. Cunningham’s book is okay to begin with, and I’ve skimmed “Idiots Guide to Wicca” and it’s a good beginner book as well. But Ravenwolf’s “Teen Witch” is full of misinformation and poor history. Please don’t put a lot of stock in that book.

Male Wiccans are simply called “Wiccan” in the same way that males and females who follow other religions are similarly called by the same label; i.e. Jew, Buddhist, Christian, Muslem, Pagan. Many Wiccans don’t like the use of “Warlock” because one of its meanings is “oath breaker”.

When it comes to Witchcraft some people do use the term “Wizard” but again, for the most part it’s “Witch” whether you’re a man or a woman.

I hope you will both visit these boards and read the information that’s available here. Also check out www.religioustolerance.com (http://www.religioustolerance.com/). Feel free to ask questions around here. Some of the answers will be more valid than others, but that’s where you learn to use your own judgment. http://mysticwicks.com/images/smilies/wink.gif