PDA

View Full Version : Shamanism

Acid Halo
October 18th, 2004, 01:43 PM
I have a couple questions about shamanism.. of course im going to be getting some books and reading myself, but id like to ask anyways.

do you have to be a Shaman do believe in shamanism is my first question.

second, i was told that you have to do a spiritual death or something like that to become shaman, true or un true or just a little off

also if there is anyone Shaman that would like to guide me on this journey i would appreciate it so much

Writer_Waif
October 18th, 2004, 01:45 PM
I have a couple questions about shamanism.. of course im going to be getting some books and reading myself, but id like to ask anyways.

do you have to be a Shaman do believe in shamanism is my first question.

second, i was told that you have to do a spiritual death or something like that to become shaman, true or un true or just a little off

also if there is anyone Shaman that would like to guide me on this journey i would appreciate it so much

I am currently writing up a course on Shamanism if you are interested.
Contact me via PM for more information.

Phoenix FireStar Rising

Shanti
October 18th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Well you dont have to be one in order to believe.
As for how to be one...first its a healing art. Its not a Native American term. Native Americans have medicine men and such. They practise the same thing but dont call it Shamanism. The term actually came from Siberia. It is practised world wide by differant names.
I do not know how to learn it other than being taught directly by anouther or having a NDE or being born to it. I would imagine it can be learned, I just dont know how one would teach it.
Shifting states of consciousness and being able to interact with the reality around you, is not always something people can easily do. For some it is. How to tell someone how to do it, I do not know as I cant describe a process..for me it just shifts.

Romani Vixen
October 18th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Anthropologically, shamans are unified by one constant... they are healers who utilize trance states. These trance states are induced by a variety of methods, dancing, chanting, music, or psychoactive chemicals (injested either straight chemical or from a plant).

They are quite often leaders in their communities.

There are also many subsets of shamanism, Celtic, Native American, Romani, and many others across the world.

I suggest you not only look at books on practicing Shamanism, but study the cultures which practice it. The Druid forum is also probably a good place to look.

Writer_Waif
October 18th, 2004, 08:48 PM
Anthropologically, shamans are unified by one constant... they are healers who utilize trance states. These trance states are induced by a variety of methods, dancing, chanting, music, or psychoactive chemicals (injested either straight chemical or from a plant).

They are quite often leaders in their communities.

There are also many subsets of shamanism, Celtic, Native American, Romani, and many others across the world.

I suggest you not only look at books on practicing Shamanism, but study the cultures which practice it. The Druid forum is also probably a good place to look.

My course will touch on many different forms of Shamanism.

Phoenix FireStar Rising

Romani Vixen
October 18th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Will you be teaching the course in Cot? when is it starting?

Writer_Waif
October 18th, 2004, 08:52 PM
Will you be teaching the course in Cot? when is it starting?

Working tonight to get some lessons together so I can get the course started.
Will probably be a week or two before I can get it up though.

Storm
October 20th, 2004, 11:50 AM
Well you have to do a lot of work to be an actual shaman but if you practice it for yourself you would be considered a shamanic practitioner. Look for books on core shamanism, that is things that are common in shamanic cultures world wide. There are some interesting ones out there.