PDA

View Full Version : soap making

Maiden Zafirbel
October 18th, 2004, 04:52 PM
has anyone made soap NOT using lye? or have you used melt & pour? how did it work out for you? how long does the end product last? can you reccomend any sites? (preferably canadian)

Anubis
October 18th, 2004, 04:59 PM
I started out making melt and pour and then switched to lye.. Melt and pour soaps tend to sweat alot since most are high in glycerine.

Maiden Zafirbel
October 18th, 2004, 05:08 PM
what do you mean "sweat"? .. and is this during the soap making? or after(while using)?

Anubis
October 18th, 2004, 05:29 PM
what do you mean "sweat"? .. and is this during the soap making? or after(while using)?
glycerine draws moisture to itself.. which results in nasty looking bars when they are wrapped . wrapping them in plastic doesn't help. They can end up looking slimy. If you are in an area with low humidity it isn't as bad.. but cool bars on a hot day are the worst. I had some sitting in my work room and they still got nasty. (this was 2 weeks after they were made).

In the shower you need to make sure you have a really good soap dish.. one that drains well.. otherwise you can come back to gooey soap.

I just prefer making soap with lye, i can alter the ingredients for the effect I want, change up the oils, use exotic ingredients.. make healing bars, ritual soaps and shampoo bars..whatever I want! gotta love the versatility of it!

Maiden Zafirbel
October 18th, 2004, 06:33 PM
lye sounds good.. but i'm nervous of the dangerous rap it has... is it as bad as they say?

Raevynn
October 20th, 2004, 12:53 AM
The lye part had me scared to death of trying it but eventually I worked up the courage and was really suprised. It's not scary at all as long as you're careful and wear safety goggles, a mask and gloves. I have a spoon and pitcher specifically for the lye water and don't use it for anything else. Another thing that's good to have is dryer sheets. The containers of lye can get really staticy so before you open the container rub the dryer sheet all over it and also the bowl that you'll be pouring it into.

Maiden Zafirbel
October 20th, 2004, 11:19 PM
hmm.. dryer sheets.. hey? .. thanks for the tip.. when i get there.. i'll have to remember that.. :D

Anubis
October 20th, 2004, 11:58 PM
just remember.. the lye goes into the water NOT the other way around!

Bruxa
October 22nd, 2004, 10:49 AM
I wanted to make soap also, I bought the big chunk of glycerine. They also had a block of goats milk soap and it is white. Do you think that would be nice to use?

CaitrionaMorgaine
October 22nd, 2004, 09:42 PM
I've used M&P soap in the past, and the type that we used was supposed be moisturizing, but it really wasn't. I have very sensitive skin, so most M&P soaps that I've used dry me out too much.

Avalon's Blessings, ~Rhiannon