PDA

View Full Version : magic vs magick

TaylorE
October 18th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Which word (magic or magick) do you use to describe your spiritual practices? Why do you use one word over the other?

MoonKnight
October 18th, 2004, 10:28 PM
Magick...but it's kind of a toss up amongst everyone else.

http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=66538&page=1&pp=10

:: taceo ::
October 19th, 2004, 09:22 AM
Oops, duplicate thread. I'll move my post over to the older one. See you over there TaylorE.

TaylorE
October 19th, 2004, 06:23 PM
I use magic...for a long time I used magick, but one day I realized I used that word automatically without really thinking baout why I used it, what it meant when I used it. Nor had I thought about the ideologies that inform the use of either word. Realizing that I decided to go with magic, for the time being so that I can consider why I use either word. May seem petty, but I think it's important. Knowing where a word comes from, the meaning behind it, etc is important in the usage of that word and not knowing the why or how of it can be rather damaging. To put it another way I've noted that majority of occult writers prefer magic over magick, and also while many people know who Crowley is and magick, some of these other authors are not as well known. So by using magic and referring to those authors, well it's another reason to use magic, as opposed to magick. I'm crossposting his in my author's forum for any of you who want to debate the subject further.

RainInanna
June 11th, 2006, 09:51 AM
I guess I associate the "k" with Crowley's works and certain types of magic (ceremonial and chaotic), though I'm not sure why on the latter.

TaylorE
June 11th, 2006, 02:41 PM
I just find it odd how people never really question the particualr choice they use...and the meanings that go with that choice...like your association mentioned above. It may not even be all that meaningful but being a word man it interests me nonetheless.