PDA

View Full Version : Blood in ritual?

Djinn
October 20th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Important! I'm talking about your own blood or the blood of a consenting adult human. I am in no way refering to animal sacrifce or taking blood from any other unwilling donor. So let's not go there. Thanks for your attention.

I've seen so many wholly ignorant people claiming that pagans/witches/devil worshippers use the blood of unwilling participants in their rituals that it made me wonder if there are legitimate ritual uses for it. So...

Would you use blood in ritual? Why or why not?
How would you use it? In magic or in sacrifice?
...and...
What path do you follow? I'm just curious about how the various paths and trads feel about blood in ritual.

Be as specific as you feel comfortable being. Thanks!

Avalon
October 20th, 2004, 04:23 PM
I've used my own blood to strengthen a spell. I prick my finger with a diabetic lancet - sterile and almost painless. My Path is that of my own making, but I resonate most strongly with the herbwitches of old, with pre-Gardnerian leanings. :)

~SleepyWillow~
October 20th, 2004, 04:28 PM
I've made my own path as well taking what I want from where I want and using what feels good and strong for me. I have never used blood with any spellwork or ritual..I have seen spells that use menses for strengthening..I personally don't feel the need

LittleRhiannon
October 20th, 2004, 04:36 PM
I haven't as of yet, but I'm not adverse to it. I might be doing a blood offering as part of my Samhain ritual, but I haven't worked the whole thing out yet, so I dunno.

fay
October 20th, 2004, 04:54 PM
i personally wouldn't use blood in my rituals, i do not feel comfortable about the idea. anything that makes me uncomfortable should definately not be part of my magickal practice. one of my friends suggested using it in a spell to attract romance. she said that a drop or two of your own blood can make the spell stronger and more specific to you. i dont like that though, i think its just a personal thing. i wouldn't say anything against others using it cos im not them and its their choice.
(not entirely sure how much sense that made)
blessed be

semi
October 20th, 2004, 05:30 PM
I have offered up blood a few times but only during very personal healing rituals. It wasn't required of my path.

I also don't use blood as a part of my path except once during a Voodoo ceremony to bless the drums. One of my hands bled on my drum from drumming so hard for so long. It was well recived by the drum and by the spirits attnding that ceremony.

It's been noted by people more knowledgeable than me that when you use blood as an offering to spirits/deities/whatever the being developes a taste for it and will want more. My personal opinion is that if you do it, do it sparingly. And know what you're doing.

Verthandi
October 20th, 2004, 06:09 PM
I've used blood before, but I only use it when I absolutely need it. Otherwise I find that saliva works almost as well.

Rhianna813
October 20th, 2004, 06:25 PM
Important! I'm talking about your own blood or the blood of a consenting adult human. I am in no way refering to animal sacrifce or taking blood from any other unwilling donor. So let's not go there. Thanks for your attention.

I've seen so many wholly ignorant people claiming that pagans/witches/devil worshippers use the blood of unwilling participants in their rituals that it made me wonder if there are legitimate ritual uses for it. So...

...and...
What path do you follow? I'm just curious about how the various paths and trads feel about blood in ritual.

I don't see anything wrong with using your own blood (or that of a consenting adult) in ritual. I know women who have used their own menstrual blood in their private rituals. Blood is a powerful fluid for women! And for our family..... my son was born at home and we saved the placenta (which is full of blood and currently in the freezer). We plan on burying it on his first birthday, which could be a ritual of sorts. Personally I would not have a need to cut or prick myself just to get my own blood for a ritual or spell.

Rhianna

savannahrose44
October 20th, 2004, 06:41 PM
I have used my own blood on several occasions, but then again I'm comfortable with that. Some aren't and I can respect that too. Never would I ever use the blood of the unwilling because it wouldn't do any good anyway. Life force energy work only works if the participant is willing to give that life force blood for that is what blood truely is.

-Ember
October 20th, 2004, 07:01 PM
I've used it in ritual/magic, with others and by myself. Mostly certain consecrations, using a lancet, with the coven. Some work with menstral blood on my own. Half a joke, with most of my crafts (woodcarving/stained glass... few projects are unblessed ;) )

I'd like to second semicivilizedman's warning: Blood is potent and it is possible to create a vampiric relationship with an entity. Similar warnings can be used with alcholol (not quite as potent, but close).

misschief
October 20th, 2004, 10:05 PM
well.. witch, just plain witch.. and i use my own blood all the time. no one elses tho.

misschief
October 20th, 2004, 10:06 PM

misschief
October 20th, 2004, 10:06 PM
hfhfhfg

~Elise~
October 20th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Yes--I have used my blood when doing a binding ritual. I wanted to make damn sure that this particular entity didn't make it back out the Western Gate so I used blood from my moon time.

I've also blooded a rune charm when hexing a person harming one of my group. We thought he had moved out of state--but he turned up again yesterday. I will be reinforcing the work again tonight and will blood it again.

My path is Victor Anderson Feri path

Elise

Mouse
October 20th, 2004, 10:11 PM
I use blood in ritual but not as sacrifice.. I use it to bind my energy into the spell or to set limitations (such as 'this is who i am'). I practice witchcraft as my religon but am hesitant to say im wiccan because i don't follow the wiccan rede. I'm not of any set path as i'm still learning

Pan
October 21st, 2004, 12:00 AM
I don't have a problem with it. I've just never seen a need to use it.

Then again, I haven't done any ritual nor spellwork in over 2 years.

Ivy Artemisia
October 21st, 2004, 12:37 AM
I haven't yet used blood in ritual. I am definitely interested in it. What does everyone use as a bloodletting tool? I'm Wiccan, (twilight tradition- my covens trad, its eclectic-traditional, and ever-changing ;)

-Ember
October 21st, 2004, 01:50 AM
Sterile lancets from the drugstore.. diabetic testing supplies. Never needed/wanted more than a drop or two.

Romani Vixen
October 21st, 2004, 03:43 AM
I didn't vote. None of the options applied.

I have, and would use blood in magic, given that the situation called for it. I can't ever immagine using an unwilling sacrifice!!!!

Djinn
October 21st, 2004, 11:28 AM
Thank you to all who have taken the time to respond to my poll. Please keep the answers coming!

Silverfire Darkmoon
October 21st, 2004, 01:51 PM
I think that, in general, blood sacrifice would mean more of a sacrifice to men than women. Women between the ages of puberty and menopause have a monthly supply of blood and may use it as they will. We males, on the other hand, must make holes in our skin, thereby inflicting pain and a wound.
I have not at this point deliberately shed blood in rtiual. Whenver I accidentally cut myself, if I think to I'll wipe some blood up with a kleenex or something and save it till I need it for magic or whatever. other bodily fluids may of course be substituted - saliva, perhaps urine or semen, Gods know what, and depending of course on the purpose of the spell. I do intend to have a blood mixing at my Handfasting, whenever that shall be, and while my athame is sharp and, so far, unused for cutting anything, I would rather use sterile lancets. I did a LOT of work with people with HIV+ / AIDS and good Gods, that is a horrible disease. Play safe, children, and put a helmet on that soldier before you send him into action!

semi
October 21st, 2004, 03:22 PM
I used razor blades.

Seren_
October 21st, 2004, 03:40 PM
I've used my own blood in ritual before now. Not as a sacrifice as such (but I suppose it could be argued that there is an element of that), but as a personal essence, I guess you could say. I've added a few drops of blood to salt water to seal and ward my personal space/house (I pricked myself with a needle I'd heated up, so not menstrual blood, but I've used that once or twice in the past, too). The salt-water would have been fine by itself, but at the time I did it, I felt an extra "oomph" factor was necessary. And it's much more hygenic than peeing on your own territory, if you know what I mean :D

So sorry to be a pain, but I don't think I can answer the poll either...even though I don't practise magic much these days, I don't use blood lightly (if ever now) on the rare occasion that I do practise. I see the "sacrifice" element as a secondary element to the purpose; with the "personal" factor as the primary element. And I would only ever use my own, not someone else's. I feel it's easier to take someone else's (because you don't have to deal with the "ouch" factor personally, I suppose). In that respect, I guess someone else's blood would be less powerful to me...less personal, unless they were actively participating with me - which would be unlikely.

HolographicJoe
October 21st, 2004, 04:19 PM
..... my son was born at home and we saved the placenta (which is full of blood and currently in the freezer).
Rhianna

:foh:

CaitrionaMorgaine
October 21st, 2004, 07:36 PM
I do not feel any desire to use my own blood in spellwork or ritual.

EDIT 06/01/05: I recently used my menstrual blood to annoint my runes, as per the suggestion of my favorite Runesinger. I found the experience very powerful, and it has changed my perception of using my own blood in ritual.

Avalon's Blessings, ~Rhiannon

misschief
October 21st, 2004, 07:39 PM
i absolutely do use blood. it works quite well.

misschief
October 21st, 2004, 07:45 PM
hfhfhfgjust so you all know, i am not crazy, i was showing someone that i couldn't post... so i typed that and thought it would never be seen :lol:... sorry.

Hellenic_Witch
October 21st, 2004, 07:55 PM
I've never done it, but don't see a problem. I like the way Avalon described it, as adding strength to a spell. Hmmm.....maybe she's given me an idea.......

SilentDreams
October 21st, 2004, 11:57 PM
To those who want to or feel they need to use blood in rituals I say knock yourself out. For myself personally I see no point in it. But I'm only talking about my rituals, I have yet to think someone is being "dumb" or pointless for using blood in his/her ritual. I just see little point in it. I think if blood is a strong piece to enchance your ritual well then why wouldn't having your whole body there be more powerful? Especially if you body hasn't lost any blood? I think this is so. But then again these are my views and others may feel different. And as we know its not always what you have but what you feel that is going to really give a item or tool its power. Btw I'm a Eclectic Pagan.

-Sky-
October 22nd, 2004, 09:30 AM
I haven't yet used blood in any ritual of my own but I am certainly not against it.Although I am kinda scared of blood I would like to use it(my own blood) in a ritual sometime because I find it empowering and sacred.Blood is usually used in protection spells such as the Witches' Bottle,binding spells,strenghtening spells and I've also heard that a couple or two friends can seal their destiny by mixing their blood.
~Anna

Stormcall
October 22nd, 2004, 05:48 PM
Never used blood... Never had the DESIRE to use blood... I wouldn't get on someone else's case for doing it, though...

Mab
October 22nd, 2004, 07:28 PM
I'm a Christian witch, and to date I have not used blood in a ritual---mainly b/c there hasn't been anything that I have done or needed to do that I wanted to tie myself that closely to. To me, using blood ties the donor very closely & strongly to the work. Frankly, I haven't had anything I'm ready to commit to like that.

Silverfire Darkmoon
October 22nd, 2004, 10:22 PM
The authors of the AMAZING book 'Urban Primitive' (one of approximately five or six truly unfluffy books published by the Little Moon Company) say something very wise when it comes to blood sacrifice, aside from the obvious 'play safe' and that is: less is more. if you don't value it, why should who/whatever you're offering it to?

Djinn
October 22nd, 2004, 11:15 PM
Thanks to all who have responded so far.
Keep those answers coming, people!

Strawberry Bounce
October 23rd, 2004, 07:09 AM
Not yet but I'm intetrested in using my moon flow.

TaysatWesir
October 23rd, 2004, 08:36 PM
No it is considered taboo. :geez:

MorningDove030202
October 23rd, 2004, 08:39 PM
I have used menstral blood in a spell once, and I would probably do it again if I felt the need. I did not vote because I didn't like any of the options. If I could add an option, I would add: Only my own blood in private solitary rituals and or spells.

Dove

FaeFollower
October 23rd, 2004, 09:41 PM
I have never used blood in ritual. I am not against against it, but I don't think I am strong enough to use blood...It is a very very powerful substance and I would be afraid to.

Teresa
October 24th, 2004, 04:10 AM
I have used blood from my menstrual cycle to strengthen a few healing spells . I have used blood for my runes as well and a few other things.Most of the time it is something for me personally and seems to strengthen the spells.

Shatril
October 24th, 2004, 06:38 AM
I use my own blood, but would never suggest using blood in a coven ritual for obvious reasons. I'm about to use my own blood for a set of runes. I use them for ritual cakes for myself, and to strengthen certain other spells.

thewomaninblack666
October 24th, 2004, 04:36 PM
Blood should always be used in spell casting as it is personal to you, and is potent as you are giving a gift, part of yourself to the Gods that you are asking to grant your wish, hair works just as well, as it shows the gods, goddesses entitys that you are serious about the spell being cast, the ath i walk is a cross between real witchcraft and ceremonial magick.

thewomaninblack666

will be back on later _firedevil

...and...

Lady Avalon
October 24th, 2004, 04:58 PM
My answer does not appear in the poll. So, I'll give it to you here.

I have done so, but very rarely and only under certain conditions. I never use it as a sacrafice! I have used only my own blood.

fay
October 24th, 2004, 06:06 PM
by whom?
blessed be

edited to add: i just realised that that may sound a little blunt. you have to remember though that when you post here there are so many different people from so many different paths that it helps to clarify what you mean. for example what a christian may consider taboo, a driud may not. what a shaman would never do, a wiccan might. get my meaning? :)

Djinn
October 25th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Blood should always be used in spell casting as it is personal to you, and is potent as you are giving a gift, part of yourself to the Gods that you are asking to grant your wish, hair works just as well, as it shows the gods, goddesses entitys that you are serious about the spell being cast, the ath i walk is a cross between real witchcraft and ceremonial magick.

thewomaninblack666

MM, WomanInBlack.

What do you mean by "real witchcraft?" I'm not trying to start a quarrel; I just want to be sure I understand what you mean.

Thanks!

savannahrose44
October 25th, 2004, 04:59 PM

Perhaps to some...but it's only taboo if you allow yourself to make it so. :D

TaysatWesir
October 25th, 2004, 06:35 PM
by whom?
blessed be

edited to add: i just realised that that may sound a little blunt. you have to remember though that when you post here there are so many different people from so many different paths that it helps to clarify what you mean. for example what a christian may consider taboo, a driud may not. what a shaman would never do, a wiccan might. get my meaning? :)

Sometimes I rather just keep my answers short so here goes. I am kemetic (ancient Egyptian religion) blood in the ritual is considered taboo.

TaysatWesir
October 25th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Perhaps to some...but it's only taboo if you allow yourself to make it so. :D

Like I said before I am of the kemetic faith (ancient Egyptian religion) since the times of the pyramids its been considered taboo.

savannahrose44
October 25th, 2004, 07:47 PM
Like I said before I am of the kemetic faith (ancient Egyptian religion) since the times of the pyramids its been considered taboo.

I must admit I don't know that much about the kemetic faith...thanks for clearing that up for me... :abanana:

TaysatWesir
October 26th, 2004, 01:53 PM
I must admit I don't know that much about the kemetic faith...thanks for clearing that up for me... :abanana:

It old but new path your welcome. :bigblue:

Morag Elasaid Ni Dhomhnaill
October 28th, 2004, 09:48 AM
I'm another person who can't answer your poll as there is not a satisfactory answer up there for me.

I am not a magic practioner so I would never have need to use blood in a spell or any such thing. However I do feel that blood is the most powerful sacrifice you can make to a deity as it is a sacrifice of yourself, not of an object. There are few things more important to life than blood and thus it makes it an extremely potent and binding sacrifice. I've never had occassion to make such a binding sacrifice to any deity, but should the need be there I would not hesitate in the slightest.

Azure_Dreams
October 28th, 2004, 09:55 AM
I don't know about blood in rituals......with the one and only exception of voodoo

Morag Elasaid Ni Dhomhnaill
October 28th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Azure_Dreams, what makes blood use in ritual acceptable in the case of voodoo but not other religious practices? It's well documented that many religons participated in religious bloodletting of some form or another. Amongst reconstructionists there are still those who are willing to use it for ritual purposes, are you then saying that it's not okay for them?

Silverfire Darkmoon
October 28th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Why not other religions? Come to think of it, they use blood in ritual every time, because the wine is the Blood of Christ. As Peter Griffin once said....hey, is this really the blood of Christ? And the priest said yes. And then peter said, Wow, that guy must have been loaded 24/7!

semi
October 28th, 2004, 02:28 PM
In the Voodoo community there is currently a shifting away from the use of blood. Red palm oil has been found to be a suitable sustitue. Also, in Voodoo and Santeria, there is much less blood use than most people realize. A priest can get away with using it only once per year, but usually it's used two or three times a year. And ONLY a priest is allowed to do it, not just any practitioner. Blood use is common in these religions, but infrequent.

Tinara
December 12th, 2004, 02:04 PM
I am from Louisiana and my family is from Cuba.

I would never use blood in a ritual......for various reasons and because of things I have seen or heard of.

But that is just my two cents.

*smiles*

Willow_starr
December 12th, 2004, 02:11 PM
I've used my blood during a couple intense healing rituals. I use a menstrual cup (The Keeper (http://www.keeper.com/) and regularly use my menstrual blood as an offering in my garden (it also keeps the critters away).

whitewater
December 15th, 2004, 11:14 AM
i could never use blood. the sight of blood literally makes me sick. i cannot watch ER or any kind of hospital show, and i could not stand to prick myself or anything cuz then id like throw up on my altar or something...no blood for me, thanks.

Hamelyn
December 20th, 2004, 01:18 PM
I voted I'm not against it but don't do it.

I'm of the thinking that when shaping reality, anything that makes it more real is going to help. Pain and something as important as blood can do that. I havent done it cuz like, I use other methods to achieve a similar affect and I don't live in a clean place. It would just be a bad idea.

Gracecat
December 20th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Well... It's silly imo, and mostly juvenile fluffy-ness. But that's my opinion and I'm overly cranky today.

Blood contains the same components as saliva etc.

One of the worst acts you can make with this is to railroad others in the ritual to use it.

blindfaith^_^
December 20th, 2004, 08:36 PM
I have no use for blood in my rituals. I'm not against it persay, its just not part of what I do.

kissesree
December 21st, 2004, 12:08 AM
I find blood rites to be unnecessary, and messy

lilromantyc
December 27th, 2004, 04:11 PM
I don't use blood in rituals and celebrations, mainly because I agree with what semicivilizedman said awhile ago. But I do find that a drop or two sometimes helps strengthen healings and/or energies for those in need. I don't do it often, all of once in the last 8 months, but sometimes that extra umph is needed. And I only ever use my own.

Haerfest Leah
December 27th, 2004, 04:25 PM
I have never done it but but would if it was an extreme circumstance or something my husband and I wanted to do together for something for us. And even then it would never be more than a finger prick, I do not however condone any type of animal sacrifice.

Tarbh Nathroch
January 6th, 2005, 05:27 PM
I don’t but have nothing against anyone using it, with the first post’s stipulations naturally.

Blood is dead…dieing. I would not put blood anywhere near my shrine any more than I would put rotting fruit on it. It’s down right offensive to my gods…as they have conveyed to me and my practices anyway. Naturally yours may be different. Meat although bloody is the loophole to this since the meat is food and in turn life. But just blood…never.

HorseCrow
January 7th, 2005, 08:28 AM
your own blood or the blood of a consenting adult human.

I'm not against it, but have never done it myself.

Convallaria
January 11th, 2005, 12:46 PM
I know it sounds odd, but it felt very right, and was very usefull, likely not necesary though.. I smeared some of my own blood onto my want before varnishing it. I thought of it as adding my life force to the wood. It seems to have worked out quite well.

Kodi
July 8th, 2008, 01:48 PM
not all the time.
and only mine.

Meadhbh
July 9th, 2008, 06:05 AM
Some times if it calls for it.

ArcherCC
July 9th, 2008, 08:13 AM
I have not yet used blood as I have just started down my path. the idea does not bother me at all, in fact it was one of my first thoughts when i was thinking about the matirials for building my Altar. I plan to mix a few drops of my own blood in with the stain I am going to use on it.

tallwoman.9169
July 10th, 2008, 07:09 PM
I have not as yet used blood in a ritual. However, when I get my runes, I will blood them. And when I was injured while being raped, I and my high priestess could not believe we didn't get some of my blood during the rape exam to use in the hex. So, would, will, and have no problem with it.

~Elise~
July 10th, 2008, 07:12 PM
yeah, we sure let that slip by us, didn't we. BUT, we did have other things on our mind...like trying to get you well.

Elise

tallwoman.9169
July 10th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Yeah, we did have other issues on our minds. Not to mention the shock that it had happened at all.

BlackLili
July 10th, 2008, 07:16 PM
I couldn't vote because I didn't see an answer that fit me.

Yes I use blood in ritual.
Not all the time.
Not always mine.
Not always as a sacrifice.
Sometimes it seals and sometimes it just adds power.
Sometimes its a sacrifice.
Sometimes its pleasure.

~Elise~
July 10th, 2008, 07:23 PM
Yeah, we did have other issues on our minds. Not to mention the shock that it had happened at all.
QFT

Let's not do that one again, huh???

Elise

tallwoman.9169
July 10th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Someone could be literally on fire on my stoop and I wouldn't open the door. Call the police, EMSA, and the fire dept, yes, open the door? Not a chance in this world or any other.

aluokaloo
July 14th, 2008, 12:59 AM
blood is a powerful symbol of life and death and is an incredibly powerful component in spells, rites, rituals and offerings/sacrifices. Whether you use a few drops from your fingertip or collect it from a menstrual cycle. It has been used to link tools to you, to harm to kill, some people visualize and charge their blood before donating blood. I have used blood to link tools too me, like mixing droplets of my blood in red paint when I used to make them, and I offer my blood to several of my deities.

AugustoSilvanoCato
July 15th, 2008, 10:58 PM
Hello All,

I have used my own blood and my wife's for specific deity voluntarily and also to make Runes. I do not use saliva or sweat for he runes because they will get charge with a energy that I do not need. I use it as many times as I need to make my Runes. An again I make new Runes for different types of readings and different costumers. That is a price I have to pay for evoking the Runes to realize their power.

Garm
July 16th, 2008, 04:35 AM
It's just dipping in to the ink well as far I'm concerned

SacredWithin
July 17th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the use of your own blood. I feel it has many purposes connecting you to the ritual/intent/etc. and also as a way of sealing and enhancing power. When it comes to others, I think its good only if the other person consents.

RaheemsMusing
July 17th, 2008, 09:09 PM
The first time I ever used blood was actually rather recently. It wasn't exactly for a ritual, and it wasn't exactly a sacrifice...it was an offering, and the situation was new to me. It wasn't that I went out with the intent to offer my blood, but that's what I ended up doing because circumstances seemed to say that that's what was supposed to happen. A friend of mine was with me and also offered blood, once again because it seemed to be what was supposed to happen. I don't think anything is wrong with using blood at all, especially that of a consenting adult or yourself, and as long as you are careful about it (health wise, especially).

Sequoia
July 17th, 2008, 11:18 PM
I've used (my) blood before. I don't see the big hullabaloo over a couple of drops of blood.

If someone's stupid enough to slash their wrist or something, I call Darwinism.

Denikke
July 18th, 2008, 03:26 AM
I haven't yet used blood in any sort of ritual, but I fully intend to. Not neccessarily for any spell, but definately when I find the tools that I want to bond with. For things like a wand, or broom, or runes, I will definately use my own blood in the coating I put on them. Like ways, with any metal objects, blood will be used to annoint them. Just once, and just to attune them to me and my energies.
I personally think there is nothing wrong with it if that is what your path calls you to do. If not, that's ok too. I don't, however, agree with killing to obtain said blood (as in animal sacrfices) or when the blood is unwillingly taken.
JMHO
Denikke

coyoger
July 23rd, 2008, 02:23 PM
...and...

I feel uneasy about using a Donor. Though I have seen it done. I know a few vampires that are blood drinkers. There donors are tested and the blood is freely given.

I personal use my own blood, from a small cut, as a offering to my gods. Generally speaking though Egyptian gods(In Tamerian or Kemtic), or their followers will say that Blood is unclean, and a dirty by-product, and that it should never be used.

But I have a feeling, at least on my own personal level that my gods approve and gladly reseive my offerings. Now I don't cut a vein, or freely bleed. Just a drop or two. I slao follow a path of nature and Druid-like faith. So this may play into my thoughts. Seeing as I am a part of nature, and willing to offer myself.

I also have used my own blood in a few spells that pertained to me.
But that's just me.

David19
July 23rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
I have not yet used blood as I have just started down my path. the idea does not bother me at all, in fact it was one of my first thoughts when i was thinking about the matirials for building my Altar. I plan to mix a few drops of my own blood in with the stain I am going to use on it.

I'm like you, I haven't it used it yet, but, if I had to, I would, if Ereshkigal wanted my blood, I'd give it to her, or Nergal, or any other Sumerian God. I may be screamish about blood (seriously, I freak out if I have to have blood taken, or, even have vaccines, etc), but I would do it.

I'd also use my own blood for magical uses (I'd use other peoples blood too, if they let me too).

David19
July 23rd, 2008, 04:28 PM
I have not as yet used blood in a ritual. However, when I get my runes, I will blood them. And when I was injured while being raped, I and my high priestess could not believe we didn't get some of my blood during the rape exam to use in the hex. So, would, will, and have no problem with it.

This may be OT, but I'm sorry for what you went through.

David19
July 23rd, 2008, 04:33 PM
I don't see anything wrong with the use of your own blood. I feel it has many purposes connecting you to the ritual/intent/etc. and also as a way of sealing and enhancing power. When it comes to others, I think its good only if the other person consents.

Good post, and I agree, although, I'd say, blood, in magic, could still be quite effective, even if a person didn't consent, but, ethically, it wouldn't be a good idea.

Nox_Mortus
July 24th, 2008, 12:54 AM
I use my own blood rarely, for consecrating certain tools, and a few other things I will not discuss, I have once used the blood of a non consenting individual in order to bind them, and it was extremely effective.

~Belladonna~
July 30th, 2008, 09:48 AM
Yes, I use my own blood for my Magick and see nothing wrong in doing so. I would never use anyone elses mind, and definitely not from animlas (alive or dead)!

My path is quite eclectic. I'm Pagan and a Witch with what I call Wiccan'ish leanings lol, though I don't call myself Wiccan anymore and don't wish to. My path doesn't necessarily call for me to use blood in my Magick but when I feel the need to I do anyway :D

Whitewolf
July 30th, 2008, 04:21 PM
I'm not against using blood in ritual. I was planning to use my own [and only a few drops] as an offering for the Morrigan. I'd like to know how would I go about doing that safely and what should I use? If you do use blood you just have to be very careful. I would never use another person or animal's blood. I would only use my own.

Russ
July 31st, 2008, 12:38 AM
From my knowledge menstrual blood isn't a valid sacrifice (as the blood comes weather the lady wants it out or not).

Not to say it is useless. It's a valid component just like sperm.

BUT blood for a sacrifice must always come from a pinprick or a cut. Hence sacrifice.

Philosophia
July 31st, 2008, 04:56 AM
I use menstural blood but not for any sacrificial use. I've also used my own blood via diabetic needle.

Whitewolf
July 31st, 2008, 05:39 PM
Where would they sell [individual] diabetic needles? I was thinking of offering a few drops of my blood to the Morrigan and I wanted to do it safely. Should I use a diabetic needle to prick my finger?

TuathaSidhe
July 31st, 2008, 05:48 PM
You can get Lancets (what they are called) over the counter at just about any drug store. They arent really expensive.

Usaully with diabetics the cost comes with the strips, and the monitor you put it in. But the lancets and/or something to put it in (you can get a device to do it for you, or you can use it yourself w/out) isnt that costly.

They come in packs of 50 or 100

Whitewolf
July 31st, 2008, 09:38 PM
You can get Lancets (what they are called) over the counter at just about any drug store. They arent really expensive.

Usaully with diabetics the cost comes with the strips, and the monitor you put it in. But the lancets and/or something to put it in (you can get a device to do it for you, or you can use it yourself w/out) isnt that costly.

They come in packs of 50 or 100
Thanks for the information. :)

Artiste-LiLi
July 31st, 2008, 10:08 PM
I have used blood...my own, menstrual, from other consenting adults and from sacrifice. I don't use it often; and I only use it when absolutely needed.

My paths are: Appalachian Mountain Family Tradition and New Orleans type Voodoo/Hoodoo Family Tradition.

Invidosa
August 1st, 2008, 01:29 PM
I tend to use my own blood rather frequently, only once have i used the blood of anyone else (and yes, it was with consent) Often I will be in the middle of doing work and be inspired to add my blood into the mix one way or another, so I go with my intuition.

SolitaryScholar
August 16th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Well, I've never used blood in any ceremony, ritual or spell, but I wouldn't completely leave it out of the mix. I think blood is important sometimes and I have considered using it before. I've seen blood used in magic and to me it's just like any other magickal practice.

So, no it doesn't bother me and I hope to find a use for it in the future.

Manyx
August 30th, 2008, 03:54 PM
Under certain circumstances it has its place but not all the time

Darkest Eve
September 25th, 2008, 01:10 PM
I'm not against it, but I've never found it necessary, or been inspired to use it in a ritual setting.

watersprite
September 25th, 2008, 01:16 PM
I use my own blood, and only on things that are VERY important. I also use the diabetic lancets. A little dab will do ya,

Darth Brooks
September 25th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Never used blood, I prefer to use semen. It's much less painful for a guy to get to, and it has always been considered to have magical properties like blood does. Of course, saying this has gotten me more than one weird look from some people who do use blood, since apparently there is something naughtier about one bodily fluid than the other.