PDA

View Full Version : Gods and Goddess problem....

WaterRaven
August 30th, 2001, 09:28 PM
Since I'm new, I was wondering if as a Wiccan I just pick any old god or goddess that I happen to like? Or should I associate them with a Celtic backround or Roman backround or Greek or what? Can I mix and match to my likeing? It seems pretty loose but I want to know.

WaterRaven

Amethyst Rose
August 30th, 2001, 11:11 PM
The best answer I have for you is.... do what you feel is right, in your heart.

If you are drawn to a greek goddess and a celtic god, then by all means, mix and match. Unless you are initiated into a trad./coven then the deities that you use are completely up to you.

:D

Mairwen
August 30th, 2001, 11:12 PM
Some people mix and match to their liking, but most people will tell you that's a bad idea. Don't mix Pantheons unless the God/desses have complimentary traits ~ like Taranis and Tyr, or Borvo and Apollo. Then again, some people will tell you that mixing is never to be done ...

Myst
August 30th, 2001, 11:30 PM
And still others will say why commit to any Gods at all? If you don't feel drawn to any, don't work with any. Speak to them as Lord & Lady, God & Goddess, Mother & Father, or don't speak to them at all :)

BrightStar
August 31st, 2001, 05:18 AM
Hi all!
If you're new,you really don't need to worry about which particular deity you'll worship.Lord and Lady or God and Goddess are just fine.As you study,you'll learn about which ones you like,which ones are for you.
I've been studying for 2 years,and I do have a few I'm comfortable with.But I'm not focused on any particular one version of deity.
Peace and Love
BrightStar

Socharis
September 1st, 2001, 03:37 AM
I dont see any problem with mixing your deities as long as you feel drawn to them.

Raindancer
September 22nd, 2001, 07:53 AM
I think that being new to this, that worrying about deities, pantheons, mixing or not mixing, is unnecessary. Right now you should be focussing on your personal connection to spirit and how best to fulfill the reason you chose this in the first place.

Understanding how you feel, how you relate to it may give you a start on deciding how to express your spirituality. While you are meditating on this, you may also want to start reading and learning about various deities as facets of God/dess as far as you feel you want or need. Your studies might lead you to finding something to which you feel best attuned.

You may even feel, after much study and thought, that none of them is quite IT. You may find yourself giving your own name to that unique facet or those facets with which you best connect. The main idea as I see it, is to find your unique bond with spirit. Its not required that you follow some official, approved, historically documented path.

There are a number of religions that will offer THE TRUE WAY TM. Thats not what Wicca/Witchcraft/Paganism is about as I understand it. We respect all positive paths as there are as many ways to know spirit as there are people. The specific deity, deities pantheons, are not nearly as important as gaining a deep understanding of who you are and how you can best find the way that fulfills who you are.

Some people feel comfortable being organized about it, and may opt to follow a consistent pantheon and way of belief and practice, others, like myself, are eclectic, and pick and choose what feels right. You sound unsure of yourself, afraid of "doing it wrong", learn to trust yourself, trust your intuition, only YOU know whats best for YOU. The Lord and Lady know what you mean, sincerity goes a lot farther than "Doing it Right"

What I would counsel you besides learning to listen to your inner voice, is learn from as many sources as you feel comfortable with, there is wisdom everywhere, and be very cautious about anyone who claims to have all the answers. Only the Lord and Lady have that, and They like to see us find them ourselves. I'm not sure where I heard this, maybe Scott Cunningham wrote it, but the point of it was that They take what we do a lot less seriously than we do. Oh, and remember that you are not alone.

Thats my feelings on this, not the last word... Relax, and don't forget to laugh now and again...
Blessings and Hugs
Raindancer