PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion of Witchvox.com

Haerfest Leah
October 21st, 2004, 03:08 PM
What is your opinion of witchvox.com? There is so much information to be found on the site in articles, do you think they are credible, accurate etc?

Personally I do not get the chance to visit the site as often as I'd like although I'm registered and posted a poem on there. I need to make it my homepage. I have no complaints with anything on the site. I wish I had the time to just sit and read the articles.

Ben Trismegistus
October 21st, 2004, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I think it's probably the single best site for neopagans on the internet (next to this one, of course!)

Wren Walker is very respected in the community, and I've yet to find any factual inaccuracies in any of her articles.

Kern
October 21st, 2004, 03:12 PM
I think its a great site and their articals to be very imformative and researched.

Lunamoth
October 21st, 2004, 03:17 PM
I enjoy reading their articles when I can find the time to. There's SO MUCH there, I'm just totally behind.

Flar's Freyja
October 21st, 2004, 03:26 PM
It's not only a great site for information, it's helpful for networking and finding other pagans near you. They do have a pretty secure registration process to prevent people from getting e-mail addresses for spam. I've gotten quite a few replies to my listing over the years, never any problems.

Hellenic_Witch
October 21st, 2004, 03:34 PM
I think it's a wonderful site! I get lost there! (in a good way!) I thinks it is a valuable, useful resource.

CaitrionaMorgaine
October 21st, 2004, 03:39 PM
I enjoy and utilize the site on a daily basis. It is an easy way to keep up with the events going on in my area, and the majority of the members of my circle found us through TWV. I have been fotunate enough to speak with Wren on several occasions--Skye's battle with cancer closely mirrors the one my brother is fighting--and she has always been more than wonderful to me.

I recommend TWV to people all the time. I just wish that more would donate to it so that we don't lose this very vaulable resource.

Avalon's Blessings, ~Rhiannon

Raevynn
October 21st, 2004, 03:40 PM
I love it! Lots of info and networking! :yayhawaii

SacredWithin
October 21st, 2004, 03:46 PM
Witchvox is so awesome. I love that place because it gives me the chance to see what others are thinking on various religious topics. HOWEVER, if only my stupid Anti- non-Christian internet filter (http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=70901) wasn't bothering me! I have no control over it, my mom pays for the net, not me. And I'm not sure how she'll react when I tell her I can't go on Witchvox or I can't type in "goth" or "satanism" in the search engines. Except she does know that I study various religions.

She also has trouble doing searches b/c she does geneaology, so it's tough.

But on the subject of Witchvox, they're great!

Tarbh Nathroch
October 21st, 2004, 04:05 PM
It's how I found this place. So :thumbsup:

Seren_
October 21st, 2004, 04:09 PM
I voted "eh, it's OK". While I think it's a fantastic site, and the best "one stop shop" there is for anyone looking for info on paths etc, there are some inaccuracies on it that haven't been addressed, and from some people who've tried to get these addressed, they've been greeted with...not much, it has to be said.

This is what makes me choose "it's OK" rather than "It's good, but..." Anything on that site is the opinion/view of a particular tradition or person. This is by no means a bad thing, but I'm not sure that this fact is as apparent as it could or should be. These opinions might be more obvious to those of us who might be more experience or analytical, but I think that those who are new to this kind of thing take a lot more at face value before analysing. Conflicting views - in the past - have not been addressed or dealt with, from what I personally can tell.

Although this wouldn't stop me recommending the site in any way, I would prefer that such an influential site would account more openly for differing views. I realise completely that this could cause more of a headache than necessary. But at least a hint would be nice...

AuroraSilvermist
October 21st, 2004, 04:10 PM
Valuable resource. I love it.

Aidron
October 21st, 2004, 07:36 PM
I find it to be irrelevant. I never use it, have only looked it over extensively a couple of times. Just really isn't a site that sparks interest in me.

Rubber_Piggy
October 21st, 2004, 08:59 PM
Don't visit very often, but i think it could be better organised. It's good to just brose and read but when looking for sepcifics i have often found it tedious to navigate.

Memory's Flame
October 21st, 2004, 10:49 PM
I think witchvox is great, I just get lost sometimes *lol*

misschief
October 21st, 2004, 10:53 PM
it's ok. i don't go much, not sure why really.....

Windigo
October 21st, 2004, 11:04 PM
It tends to irk me, it just seems so very hard to navigate. :twitch:

WingedTigerChild
October 21st, 2004, 11:46 PM
I voted "eh, it's OK". While I think it's a fantastic site, and the best "one stop shop" there is for anyone looking for info on paths etc, there are some inaccuracies on it that haven't been addressed, and from some people who've tried to get these addressed, they've been greeted with...not much, it has to be said.

This is what makes me choose "it's OK" rather than "It's good, but..." Anything on that site is the opinion/view of a particular tradition or person. This is by no means a bad thing, but I'm not sure that this fact is as apparent as it could or should be. These opinions might be more obvious to those of us who might be more experience or analytical, but I think that those who are new to this kind of thing take a lot more at face value before analysing. Conflicting views - in the past - have not been addressed or dealt with, from what I personally can tell.

Although this wouldn't stop me recommending the site in any way, I would prefer that such an influential site would account more openly for differing views. I realise completely that this could cause more of a headache than necessary. But at least a hint would be nice...
My thoughts exactly. I think it could be better organized as well.

Verthandi
October 22nd, 2004, 01:45 AM
I like the articles on the site and the connections area, but some of the people that post piss me off. I mean, everyone's entitled to their own opinions. The final straw for me was about an article that talked about these two older people that were basically using Wicca to molest children, little girls. The wife was the bait and the husband...well, you know. Anyway, most, if not all, of the posters replied that there wasn't sufficient evidence to convict these two and the punishments were unfair, blah, blah, blah. They seemed to miss the point that these girls were robbed of their innocence. I read the article and couldn't believe that these pagans were defending such a morally corrupt man and yet, I'm sure they're still ranting about the corruption in the Catholic church.

Anyway, that's my biggest rant. As long as I don't read the replies to the articles, I don't mind it.

Pandoras
October 22nd, 2004, 02:11 AM
I think The Witches Voice is one of the best sites for Pagans on the web. I think they provide excellent information and a wealth of valuable resources. I don't have any trouble navigating the site. I visit it often, post announcements, etc.

TYRRHENUS
October 22nd, 2004, 03:17 AM
I'm in between Seren & Raven Greywind.
The listings of different traditions is a noble effort as it is hard to stay on top of. It does need some consistent navigation and is large enough to justify a collapsible menu.
A valuable source for Neo-Pagans & Wiccans, I think.

Seren_
October 22nd, 2004, 03:22 AM
I'm in between Seren & Raven Greywind.

:lol: That could be taken to mean so many different things.

elfmage
October 22nd, 2004, 03:33 AM
I love it!! I have a habit of saving all the essays, and I am going to print themout when I get a chance!! It is always something interesting to read.....

Ben Gruagach
October 22nd, 2004, 02:59 PM
The things that others have listed as the weaknesses of the site with regard to content are actually some of the reasons why I think the site is good.

The site is largely created by content submitted by people who visit the site. The massive essays sections have a wide variety of opinions on all sorts of topics and because they are essays they present a lot more depth than is standard for most messageboard discussions. Messageboards tend towards shorter posts (despite the lengthier ones we get here at MysticWicks at times) and are usually not written and revised before going public the way essays are.

The traditions section is wonderful because the articles have been submitted by people who are involved with those traditions. If it were just one person writing up all that info it would have a bias because there's no one out there who can be completely objective, completely factual, and really informed about every tradition that's out there.

Since the site is the result of material submitted by others the way to resolve what are considered to be inaccuracies is to write and submit your own material. It's like MysticWicks -- it's not much use complaining that the discussions aren't about the topics you want if you aren't willing to post yourself and at least get the discussions started.

The same goes with the comments posted to the news stories at Witchvox. If you disagree with what others have said, post your own point of view! Keeping silent doesn't do much to let your point of view get known.

Witchvox has done a wonderful job of bringing together a massive amount of information into a way that makes it accessible -- all without advertising to distract from the experience. Even if we ignore all the other info they have there, the networking stuff (individuals, groups, etc. listings) make the site invaluable.

TYRRHENUS
October 22nd, 2004, 04:56 PM
:lol: That could be taken to mean so many different things. :lol:

Theres
October 22nd, 2004, 05:12 PM
... Anyway, most, if not all, of the posters replied that there wasn't sufficient evidence to convict these two and the punishments were unfair, blah, blah, blah.
so you maintain that they should've been convicted without sufficient evidence?
there's an expression for that, isn't there... a something-hunt?

Wulf Stormhand
October 22nd, 2004, 09:20 PM
Personally I love the site, I'm there everyday reading Wren's Nest, and come back week after week, in hopes of reading a new piece by Kerr Cuhulain in the Pagan Protection section. I've recommended it to my one or two students, and to my Girlfriend as well...

Brightest Blessings,
Wulf Stormhand

~BEBZ~
October 22nd, 2004, 09:45 PM
It's a good place. I wish it was a little more user friendly though. I tend to get lost on it and have a hard time finding what I want. Maybe a better user format?

WhiteWolf30
October 22nd, 2004, 09:48 PM
I think its a great place I just don't get to visit enough

Verthandi
October 22nd, 2004, 10:48 PM
so you maintain that they should've been convicted without sufficient evidence?
there's an expression for that, isn't there... a something-hunt?
Sorry. I didn't mean to imply that there was sufficient evidence. There was--several girls came forward to testify, I believe.

Phoenix Blue
October 22nd, 2004, 10:51 PM
What is your opinion of witchvox.com? There is so much information to be found on the site in articles, do you think they are credible, accurate etc?

Personally I do not get the chance to visit the site as often as I'd like although I'm registered and posted a poem on there. I need to make it my homepage. I have no complaints with anything on the site. I wish I had the time to just sit and read the articles.
Wren's Nest is a bit on the liberal side sometimes. But other than that, it's probably the world's best resource for Pagans, period.

Pure Ahimsa
October 22nd, 2004, 10:54 PM
It is really helpful, though it has some really fake articles like "The Greek pantheon challenges the Roman Pantheon". Which REALLY confused me, I think it may be a joke, but is very unclear. :help:

~Elise~
October 22nd, 2004, 11:31 PM
I have used the site extensively. When Tulsa PPD location was changed literally at the last moment. I put it there. When I wanted the news about what happened with the injunction...I went there. Right now, Tulsa is on the front page...unless they've done a weekly update and has been front page news for 2 weeks now.

I have gotten LOTS of emails of support from all over the world. I also list my group there and get quite a few new members every year from there. So, I feel it is one of the best resources out there for the pagan community at large.

Elise

Dafydd
October 23rd, 2004, 01:48 PM
WV is probably the best overall Pagan resource/networking site around. I especially enjoy the news articles and comment on them frequently. The mix of ideas and opinions expressed is refreshing.

I think the issues about navigating WV are kind of interesting since I have no problem there, but do have a little navigation problem here. Of course, I am new here and un-used to this lay out and I've been around WV for some time so it is a natural for me to navigate.

The comment that WV is "a bit on the liberal side sometimes" intrigues me. In all seriousness I'd like to visit a Pagan website that is a bit on the conservative side sometime to get a sense of balance. I've seen some comments made by conservative Pagans and even a few 'witches for Bush' types and find nothing wrong with them in spite of often disagreeing with them. By the way, I also disagree often with liberals as well. The 'Pagan community' as a whole does seem to be predominately liberal and I think you'll find that reflected in the majority of Pagan discussion groups.

Autumn
October 23rd, 2004, 02:37 PM
I find it very like a newspaper, you can find so many useful things there!

Gede
October 23rd, 2004, 10:14 PM
MM~
I absolutely love the site! It gives off such a friendly and communal vibe and provides us with a place to find groups and individuals in our area. Thanks for WitchVox!

Namaste, Gede...

Phoenix Snowrose
October 23rd, 2004, 10:22 PM
I love it..it has so much information...and I met two of my very goof friends on that site!...so I give it a big thumbs up!!!

Teresa
October 24th, 2004, 04:05 AM
Navagation could be improved yes. Tons of wonderful and accurate info definitely! I think tis one of the best sites out there for us.That is one of the places that lead me to MW ! :fpeace:

enchancea
October 24th, 2004, 04:13 AM
I think its a great site but I dont visit it that often

Kaylana
October 25th, 2004, 08:04 PM
I like it. It suits my needs. I'd recommend it to people, but I don't think its anything super special.

Semele
October 25th, 2004, 08:39 PM
My thoughts exactly. I think it could be better organized as well.
I think what it lacks in organization it more then makes up for in quantity and quality. I just don't like pages with a lot of different sectionsto click into from on page...but then, I hate newspapers because you have to go back and forth to read the stories. I also get lost in MW post after post, never remembering to go back to ones I replied to!

Witchvox is the place where we send anyone who wants to find other pagans in the area. They are awesome for hosting and compiling that tool for all of us. What a gift.

kitsch
October 25th, 2004, 09:38 PM
i actually have it as my homepage. i usually browse the news before i do anything else online. mind you, the more i use mw, the closer it gets to being bumped out...

FaeFollower
October 29th, 2004, 07:29 AM
I really like WitchVox...There is so much there, I will never be able to read even half the arcticles they have there. And I love the networking pages they have. I found a few really good occult shops in my area through that. :)

Ron
October 31st, 2004, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I think it's probably the single best site for neopagans on the internet (next to this one, of course!)

Wren Walker is very respected in the community, and I've yet to find any factual inaccuracies in any of her articles.
:woot:

serenarian
November 2nd, 2004, 10:02 AM
I'm registered with the site and have a personal ad up on there, but I find that the regional information could possibly be better. Although in all fairness there is probably not much information on Pagan matters to be found in Wales, I think it needs to advertise more so that more regional listings go up on there.

For meeting people though, it is very good indeed and it's a valuable resource for Pagans all over the world.

ap Dafydd
November 3rd, 2004, 08:48 AM
I'm registered with the site and have a personal ad up on there, but I find that the regional information could possibly be better. Although in all fairness there is probably not much information on Pagan matters to be found in Wales, I think it needs to advertise more so that more regional listings go up on there.

Wales not being a region of anywhere, that probably wouldn't be appropriate.

But pace Witchvox, there's actually a lot going on in Wales, depending on where you are, there are 3 or 4 regular moots across the south, some regular annual events like Witchfest, and a number of email lists, both local and national.

Try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Welsh_Pagans and http://groups.yahoo.co.uk/group/pfwales which are the two main ones

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

Ron
November 4th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Wales not being a region of anywhere, that probably wouldn't be appropriate.
Myn Duw... Cymru am Byth..

wakywitch
November 5th, 2004, 02:12 AM
I like witchvox!

audi
November 5th, 2004, 02:31 AM
ive never been there but ill have to check it out. thanks!

oakowl
November 5th, 2004, 07:18 PM
It seems like a nice web site but it is real slow for me to navigate and for some reason they will not let me sign up. Other than that I like it.

Lilyraine
November 7th, 2004, 05:54 PM
I think it is a great idea, but they could make the layout easier to navigate. And i'm not sure the site would be good to beginners for the articles at least, because they seem like textbooks in some cases. Is that just me?

Rowan Darkmoon
November 12th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Great information, great for networking, and that's how I learned about this site so great for that. I love Witchvox. :hearthear

raminda
November 15th, 2004, 02:45 AM
I visit it all the time and I think it's really well done. There's a lot of information, and without it I wouldn't know how to find metaphysical shops in my area as well.

Tinara
December 9th, 2004, 01:19 PM
I visted it for the first time in well over a year last night when I was looking for an article they have there that I wanted to share with a beginning Pagan. I was somewhat shocked at the changes. The navigation was horrendous, I had to spend almost an hour just to find where they had stashed the informational articles. They used to have them linked at the bottom of the page. It is still one of my favorite sites and one that I refer new pagans too all the time, however, the navigation system and some of the new articles being posted didnt sit too well with me.

VelvetBlade
January 21st, 2005, 01:38 PM
I love Witchvox!! I think for newer internet users, it could be a little more navigator friendly...but I visit almost daily!

~AW

PoisonIvy
January 21st, 2005, 01:47 PM
I love it! I like to find out where different events are happening in cities around me,and that's how I found the shop where I buy my herbs and other witchy supplies.
I visit witchvox all the time!
Blessed Be!

IvyWitch
January 22nd, 2005, 10:40 PM
Eh, I'm kind of neutral on it. There are some things I like, like thier directory section. But the information portion of the site is so incredibly hard to navigate, and some of the stuff they put out seems a little pompous.

Dark Phoenix
February 15th, 2005, 07:49 PM
I love witchvox although it is true it could be a bit easier to navigate but thats just a small nit pick, a great source of information.

StarSpiral
February 15th, 2005, 08:19 PM
I love Witchvox, it is one of the best Pagan websites out there and it certainly can't beat for amount of information from a number of different sources.
Their networking section alone is the most phenomenal tool on the web for all types of Pagans.

Maverynthia
February 23rd, 2005, 02:20 AM
I'll agree that the site is a vast storehouse of information however...it's vastness is what's bad for it.

I think the site needs a MASSIVE overhaul in both layout and organization. Too often I've gone looking for one thing only to find myself at a 404 or somewhere else.

Fireheathen
March 29th, 2005, 10:49 PM
The quality of the site really depends on the intent of the viewer. I think that it's a great site for information. I know it was definately one of my more frequently visited resources once upon a time. However, if you're looking for networking then the place is a bit of a flop. Very large database of pagan listings, extremely innacurate as many of the listings simply give you a dead email address, and none of them ever time out. I voted middle of the road. Amazing in one department, a flop in the other.

Suzette
March 29th, 2005, 11:00 PM
I flip-flop over my opinion of WV... I've met a few interesting people through it, but it can be a bit too much 'fluff-wise.'

The good thing about it is it's one of many places we can go, surf and form our own opinions... Love it or hate it, it's nice we have places to go.

Iris
March 30th, 2005, 04:23 AM
My only criticism of Witchvox is...I find the sheer volume of information there a bit overwhelming. I have trouble navigating the site effectively...but maybe that's just me being an idiot!!

Ben Gruagach
March 30th, 2005, 07:49 AM
The quality of the site really depends on the intent of the viewer. I think that it's a great site for information. I know it was definately one of my more frequently visited resources once upon a time. However, if you're looking for networking then the place is a bit of a flop. Very large database of pagan listings, extremely innacurate as many of the listings simply give you a dead email address, and none of them ever time out. I voted middle of the road. Amazing in one department, a flop in the other.

I've found that for networking it's actually the best site available. They check the networking listings and remove "dead links" (i.e. addresses that no longer exist) a number of times a year.

If an address does actually work but you don't get a response from them, perhaps it's not because the link is dead but because the human at the other end of that address just isn't writing back.

I don't know of any other Pagan networking site that even bothers to check if listings are valid once they've been entered.

Dawa Lhamo
March 30th, 2005, 09:15 AM
If an address does actually work but you don't get a response from them, perhaps it's not because the link is dead but because the human at the other end of that address just isn't writing back. Darn it! I knew there was something I needed to do! (Honestly, I'm terrible at replying to emails promptly...)

Ben's probably right, it's likely just unresponsive people...

I really like Witchvox. I agree that it's huge and sometimes hard to find what you're looking for, but it's a great resource.

Tashi delek!
Dawa Lhamo

Haerfest Leah
December 11th, 2005, 05:19 PM
I just tried to go to their site and it's all messed up with warnings, never had this happen before.

Ben Gruagach
December 11th, 2005, 06:17 PM
I just tried to go to their site and it's all messed up with warnings, never had this happen before.

I visit Witchvox every day and I checked it after you mentioned seeing errors there. Yes, it does appear there are errors on the site.

In all the years I've visited the site daily this is the first time I've seen something like that. I'm sure they'll get it sorted out soon.

Toki Wartooth
December 11th, 2005, 08:09 PM
I think it's okay. I definitely agree that navigation could be improved. On the first few visits, I actually thought the site was very disorganised and rather messy; it strained my eyes and confused me for a while. Although I've gone the more times since then, I still don't like how it's set up. It isn't user-friendly enough.

I enjoy reading some of the articles on there, and as much as I appreciate everyone's having his or her own view posted, I almost feel like there are more opinions than factual information. It's a good place to meet people in order to network, but I don't see how its information surpasses the types of information set up by those such as pagannews.com, which has at least a few pantheons and information on the Wheel of the Year (though that site in itself isn't the best site overall either; it's just that their information is more straight-forward).

I'd also prefer it to include Satanic listings. I'm sure plenty of Satanists practise magic or witchcraft, and as much as I respect Witchvox's overall "harm none" outlook, I don't think it's fair to exclude them. But, that's just me.

Celene
December 12th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Reason?

Well, as an non-English person, I'd have loved to have more German contacts. I've been a solitary learner mostly due to lack of likeminded persons. The few pagans I know are on the net and I only know one of them good enough to ask her questions. (Yes, I know, MysticWicks can help out on that - trust me, I've occasionally asked stuff here.)

Aside from that, a good advice on how to tackle the massive amounts of books out there would be cool. Most of it is English and thus not so easily available for a German like me, despite my good understanding of the language (libraries just don't cover much English literature in that regard, if any).

LostSheep
December 12th, 2005, 11:33 AM
I visit Witchvox every day and I checked it after you mentioned seeing errors there. Yes, it does appear there are errors on the site.

In all the years I've visited the site daily this is the first time I've seen something like that. I'm sure they'll get it sorted out soon.
Seems ok for me. Probably a small glitch.

Astara Seague
December 12th, 2005, 02:12 PM
Its Great!!!:achug:

Tesra
December 23rd, 2005, 10:06 PM
Have to admitt, I love it! :fpraise: :hehehehe:

Morgandria
January 31st, 2006, 10:57 AM
The quality of the articles submitted and posted weekly seems to have gone down a fair bit, and the site is awful to navigate now, mostly because it's so cluttered, but partly because the interface isn't easy to read or use, sometimes.

I use it for its' Witches of the World listings, and nothing else.

Rhisiart
February 9th, 2006, 05:09 AM
I think its a good site for new pagans to start networking from. From WitchVox you can find many places like this, shops in your area, groups that promote activities and News and Information all in one place.

Now it is kinda hard to navigate thru sometimes, but one usually gets the hang of it in a very short time. It is a force to deal with! But youd think theyd make more money from a site like that!

kal
March 12th, 2006, 05:23 PM
i have been a member for about a year
its good for info on local meetings and groups etc

WiccanGoddess
March 12th, 2006, 06:06 PM
I think witchvox.com is a great website. You can't honestly say it needs upkeep, as it's not up to them. It's up to each individual state/province's people.

Xirian
May 7th, 2006, 09:32 PM
I like Witchvox very much. Not only because they posted one of my articles, but because they have information on things going on in my area that are pagan related. I feel like, when it comes to other pagans, I live in BFE. I think it's a fantastic resource, especially for solitary pagans who sometimes just want to have an interesting face-to-face conversation with someone that's pagan.

Amythyst
May 9th, 2006, 02:13 PM
The thing I've gotten the most out of it is links to other pagans and information about groups and individuals in my own state.

It's kind of like a "Time" magazine for Pagans. There is just so much reading and I'd really rather sit down in my comfy easy chair with a magazine to do that much reading. Sometimes I have printed off an interesting looking article to read it at my leisure when I have more time.

They could improve the sight by having some sort of spot on it where you could just post back and forth like we do here. But then, Witchvox is just a different kind of venue than this, so maybe that wouldn't work for them.

Just my thoughts.

Silvana
May 9th, 2006, 04:13 PM
I love it but I think that it has a lot of organizational issues with the way the site is set up. None the less I love visiting it though. :)

coeur
May 9th, 2006, 06:11 PM
The only redeeming value of witchvox is the fact that you can find other witches in the area. Otherwise, I find it sort of useless and lovey-dovy, pink fluff-and-rainbows sort of thing. What, with the whole "I abide to the Rede" term in the joining application, I thought I was going to retch.

HeavensHope
May 9th, 2006, 06:15 PM
I've been a member...well for a very long time...except I cant remember my screen name or password. I've had to redo it twice already. :) it's easier to just to stop going, hehe.
It's good for finding out what's going on in terms of events and meetings in your area. I've tried to make friends on there but people dont seem to respond to me. hm...wonder why...

Benvarry
May 11th, 2006, 10:23 AM
I gotta say... there are a lot of mediocre (shallow, poorly thought-out, naive, etc.) essays on that site.

Amythyst
May 11th, 2006, 11:20 AM
I've tried to make friends on there but people dont seem to respond to me. hm...wonder why...

Me too!! I've tried contacting some witches right here in my own community and got no response-- very disappointing. I would've thought that the whole idea of putting up a profile on yourself and inviting contact would be to respond when that contact comes?

Phoenix Element
May 11th, 2006, 11:46 AM
I've been reading for about half a year, and joined maybe two months ago. I agree, there are a lot of shallow/mediocre articles that I sift through to get to the better ones. For this reason, I only check in every other week or so.

HeavensHope
May 15th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Me too!! I've tried contacting some witches right here in my own community and got no response-- very disappointing. I would've thought that the whole idea of putting up a profile on yourself and inviting contact would be to respond when that contact comes?

yeah..strange...I've come to the conclusion that maybe they're not looking for friends...but for dates? lol

Moonrush
May 15th, 2006, 06:32 PM
I love Witch's Voice! There are some fantastic articles! I have found many open events when I wish to attend a public gathering... I'm solitary, so networking is limited. I have even met a few witches in my area. Good stuff!

dragoncrone
May 15th, 2006, 07:05 PM
I think witchvox is great, I just get lost sometimes *lol*

Sometimes I feel like I'm in a pinball game, I get bounced around so much on WV...:boing:
and yeah, I forget my password all the time...keep confusing it with the one for eBay, har!! My favorite WV feature is the news updates on pagan-related goings-on. I've posted my opinion on articles a buncha times, because, well, everyone is entitled to hear my opinion!! tee hee!:hehehehe:

RainInanna
May 20th, 2006, 09:13 AM
I think you're right HeavensHope, because I didn't get any responses when I contacted people on WV either and I have a hunch it has something to do with the line where I mention I live with my boyfriend of 2 years.

The High Queen of Faerie
May 20th, 2006, 02:06 PM
There exists shallow information on most sites about paganism, unfortunately, (or any topic actually) and witchvox is no exception. It is a great place to look for information, though, in my opinion, and any intelligent person should be able to go to WV and find themselves able to absorb what information is of use to them, and discard or ignore that which they find ill-thought-out or just poorly represented.

I do find it slightly difficult to navigate, though - I have never been bothered to completely unveil the labyrinth that is that site.

Kodachi
May 20th, 2006, 07:15 PM
I have gotten replies but not always from people that I would like to talk to. I've gotten pervs to what I call "Magnetos" (Fans of X-men would know what I am talking about)

Starlight*Rains
May 21st, 2006, 10:47 AM
I like the shop locator but don't really use it otherwise! I find that even with high speed and a kick ass computer, it seems to take forever to load!!!:rant:

shuvanilu
May 21st, 2006, 11:15 AM
There are a couple of places on the internet that I visit daily. One of them is Mystic Wicks. Another is Witchvox. Good stuff:)---shuvanilu

Mirain
May 24th, 2006, 02:29 AM
I think its a really good site. I use it to keep up with events and things going on in my area. I don't have anything bad to say about it honestly...

angelmikayla
May 27th, 2006, 07:16 PM
I like WitchVox....I use it to keep up with Pagan events in my area.

fangedeshana
May 27th, 2006, 09:57 PM
I find it handy to find things local, especially the shops (I hope to put mine on there one day soon!). I also occasionally go there and read articles/essays written by other pagans.

I find there is just way too much information there, it's a little overwhelming. And the navigation a little unfriendly.

A handy website though, don't get me wrong!

fangedeshana
May 27th, 2006, 09:58 PM
I've tried to make friends on there but people dont seem to respond to me. hm...wonder why...

Hmm me too... 8O

Gypsy flower
June 2nd, 2006, 09:36 PM
its good I like it
thanx for reminding me I need to go update myself there

Novembers River
June 5th, 2006, 01:09 PM
And the navigation a little unfriendly.

I think so too, but the content makes the hassle worthwhile. :steppy:

Baye
June 11th, 2006, 10:59 AM
I gotta say... there are a lot of mediocre (shallow, poorly thought-out, naive, etc.) essays on that site.

I have to agree with you on that. I also don't like when you see an essay and it's on nice big bold print and when you click to read the rest you can bearly see it. There is also an assumption with many of the essay writers that all Witches are Wiccan.
Overall it's a good site. I wish there were more on the Vodun tradition. There is a good write up about it in the Tarditions section. I remember reading one woman's profile she said she wasa Witch and practiced Hoodoo. I was like OK neat. When it came to her description she said "For those who do not know Hoodoo is the American form of Voodoo" I cringed!!!
Many missinformed people about their own paths on there.
So someone who is new searching for information may get a bit "Lost"

OK I have rambled on enough.

Baye

LadyOak
June 13th, 2006, 09:24 PM
I must say that I have gotten more info, etc here

Libris
June 20th, 2006, 07:41 AM
I really like the site because it has such a great "pagan phonebook" and I can actually find pagan stores and groups in -my- area, which is actually pretty surprizing!

Jessi

moonmorgan
June 21st, 2006, 07:49 PM
I love witchvox but agree that it needs to be reorganized. I've used WV since 1997 and have seen it go through many changes. I liked it about 2 years ago and think they should go back to it that way.

Semjaza
June 25th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Only use it to see if there are pagans in my area. I don't have time to wade through the articles... It's an okay site, I guess. I like the news posted there.

Cheers,

Semjaza
FFFF

theblackrose
June 25th, 2006, 09:54 PM
bit too much work needed to nav through - too much bumpf on there if you know what i mean!

Haerfest Leah
June 26th, 2006, 09:29 AM
I really like the site because it has such a great "pagan phonebook" and I can actually find pagan stores and groups in -my- area, which is actually pretty surprizing!

Jessi

I went on it recently to see what was in Guam, jack crap that's what. lol Only abt 10 pagans on the whole island listed and no groups or shops listed.

Greybird
July 26th, 2006, 10:24 AM
This may not be the majority opinion, fair warning.

I love WitchVox, I love their articles, and I love the world news of pagan interest. On the other hand, I've learned to avoid the comments and discussion about news items there.

Seriously, most of the people who frequent the comments section often strike me as incredibly angry and unthinking. It doesn't seem to matter what the article is, a small horde of people will charge in shouting about how horribly the world treats pagans and how bad the government is, even if the topic doesn't warrant it. Half the time, their ranting is based on the abstract - they never read the full article. They get mad when pagans are treated the same way as other citizens. They get mad when the government responds to pagans a certain way, even if they demand that the goverment respond to Christians exactly the same way. It is almost like they wait around all day looking for things to get angry at.

Whenever I go the comments section, I go away with a bad taste in my mouth. I just don't like constantly being around angry people.

Amythyst
July 26th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Whenever I go the comments section,

Do you mind if I ask a stupid question?...How do you get to the "comments" section? All I ever see at the bottom of the articles is a place to pm the author.

Ben Gruagach
July 26th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Do you mind if I ask a stupid question?...How do you get to the "comments" section? All I ever see at the bottom of the articles is a place to pm the author.

They don't have comments areas on everything on Witchvox -- but they do have them set up for the Wren's Nest news stories. If you click on one of the news stories listed at the right hand side of the main screen, you'll see a summary of the story and below it any comments people have left regarding the story.

And seapearls: not everyone creates listings at Witchvox so there might still be Pagan stores in Guam even though you'll have to find them another way. I would suggest contacting the few people who are listed there and ask them about where they shop. Chances are you'll find that some of the people who are listed there do know other people who aren't listed there, and who can introduce you to them if you're polite in asking about it.

Sometimes the way to meet people is to be the brave one to create a listing for yourself! I've met a lot of people in my area who don't have Witchvox listings, but who contacted me through the listing I had set up there.

mtpathy
July 26th, 2006, 02:25 PM
the sites not bad,the layout of the site is fine,and it looks nice enough the
biggest problem i have with it is when i posted a profile i kept getting people
emailing me asking to teach them..i decided that it wasnt for me and i deleted
my profile out and havn't gone back.
if im intrested in the pagan community in my area,i either pick up a phone
book and find a pagan store,or i go to the local UU church and read the
posting board...

TELEKENETIK_APRECTIC
August 15th, 2006, 01:39 PM
i can understand mtpathy's point,but for me,what's not to love?info,on every shop,group,coven,meeting,churches,gatherings, & festivals,in every state in the country,to find the closest most convenient locations of whatever you need,anywhere,..it's how i found my ozark avalon church (it's recognized by the state of missouri as a church 2)..

i give it a 10/10

also avatarsearch.com was the best occult search engine,until it went down,.now spiritonline.com is the occult search engine,that i use.

check out my church at www.ozarkavalon.net

KiNoRonin
August 20th, 2006, 01:46 PM
I looked over WitchVox, and they have tooooo many rules that can get you Banned Automatically, and they have no Message Forums.

If they would relax their Strict Rules a bit, and set up a Message Forum similar to MysticWicks.com, then I might consider Registering.

So I voted for "It is good, but some Improvement could be made".

KNR

KiNoRonin
August 20th, 2006, 03:16 PM
Actually, I did manage to find a Wiccan Grove based in Harrison Hot Springs which is nearby my Third Sacred Grove about 25 Km North of the Eastern Side of Harrison Lake.

I have already sent that particular 3rd Degree Priestess a couple of emails.

KNR

Qeniheru
August 20th, 2006, 05:22 PM
I have a bit of a problem with Witchvox.
They tend to let pretty much anyone post a group page there, which can be a good thing.
But if you are going to post a group/coven/etc. there, at least have the sense to check your email, instead of just forgetting about it and it getting deleted in the inactive group sweep! Argh! :awilly:
Whew. Now that I got that out of the way, I think they need to be more strict when it comes to putting group notices on Witchvox. Basically, they need to find a way to ensure the people posting are serious about finding new members, so people like me don't have to sit and wait for months to hear from multiple covens that, in all reality, aren't serious about new members.

But that's just from my experience. :)

Ben Gruagach
August 23rd, 2006, 11:54 AM
I have a bit of a problem with Witchvox.
They tend to let pretty much anyone post a group page there, which can be a good thing.
But if you are going to post a group/coven/etc. there, at least have the sense to check your email, instead of just forgetting about it and it getting deleted in the inactive group sweep! Argh! :awilly:
Whew. Now that I got that out of the way, I think they need to be more strict when it comes to putting group notices on Witchvox. Basically, they need to find a way to ensure the people posting are serious about finding new members, so people like me don't have to sit and wait for months to hear from multiple covens that, in all reality, aren't serious about new members.

But that's just from my experience. :)

Personally I think the responsibility for keeping listings up to date lies with the people who place the listings, not with the people who provide the listing service.

Witchvox does an excellent job of removing "dead link" listings but they can't be expected to personally verify each of the thousands and thousands of entries for accuracy. It's a volunteer-run non profit website after all!

Rudas Starblaze
August 23rd, 2006, 12:09 PM
apperently ive never posted on this thread.

ive been to witchvox quite a few times. i never came across anything i didnt already know.

Qeniheru
August 23rd, 2006, 03:54 PM
Personally I think the responsibility for keeping listings up to date lies with the people who place the listings, not with the people who provide the listing service.

Witchvox does an excellent job of removing "dead link" listings but they can't be expected to personally verify each of the thousands and thousands of entries for accuracy. It's a volunteer-run non profit website after all!

True. I just complained because I got rather frustrated with it at the time. :gagged: I'm silly sometimes.
I do wish there was a way for them to verify things, but oh well.

In the meantime though, I find it is a good way to contact people who keep their info current. ;)

AoibhellFaeryMoon
August 31st, 2006, 09:40 AM
I'm always surprised when people don't know about Witchvox. It was one of the first sites I found online when online became the "norm" when I was a teenager.

I like the listings, articles, etc. I've even had a couple articles published on there. :)

Greybird
June 7th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Lots of good articles, and the news can't be beat. The one thing I try to avoid is the commentary on the news. I've never seen a bigger concentration of intolerance and tinfoil-hat paranoia than in the WitchVox news comments section.

Reading the comments all the time, you'd think that every incident that affects a pagan is some intentional scheme to put us down by the government or those evil Christians (whose religion is false, and whose deities we reject the reality of while saying that all gods and religions are real out of the other corner of our mouths. Huh?)

Fiamma
June 7th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Part useful website, part total suck. The news is interesting. The commentary though...wow, i've enver seen such a mass case of OMG Teh Burning Tymez!!!!oneeleven!

The articles...eh, some of them are good, a lot of them are complete dreck.

Mostly Harmless
June 8th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I voted that it is good but could be better...

Like someone said earlier..a msg board would be nice...

But I think it could be organized a little better...

S Strangled Silence
June 14th, 2007, 08:03 AM
It is a great resource and I go there as often as I can. I also can keep track of what is going on in my state which is really convient for me.

Autumn-Forest
June 14th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I enjoy reading the articles and I've remet one of my Witchy friends because I have an account there and she found me again! :) So thats pretty amazing!

I need to frequent it more often, though.

be well,
Autumn

inkywitch
June 14th, 2007, 08:15 PM
It's okay. It was one of the first Pagan sites I ever saw. I like reading the articles and trying to find groups in my area occasionally.

The amount of information there, plus the awkward website design make it a little overwhelming sometimes - even though I have been visiting it on and off for 8 years!

Willow Rosette
June 14th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I find it difficult to navigate through so I dont go in there.

Cake-eating_Moth
June 14th, 2007, 10:21 PM
As others have said previously, I like the news and SOME of the articles. The other half of the articles are complete C*R*A*P and sounds to have been written while someone was playing Dungeons and Dragons - I'm not dissing the game, just some of the people who seem to have this ... really weird fantasy complex

You know those people - they LITERALLY see a rainbow dragon fly over their lawn and land on it; it even talks to the lawn gnome that plays there! :excuseme:

brymble
July 3rd, 2007, 08:18 PM
i use it every time i move to check out the area before i get there.

i have it set as my homepage.

Drouach
July 3rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
As others have said previously, I like the news and SOME of the articles. The other half of the articles are complete C*R*A*P and sounds to have been written while someone was playing Dungeons and Dragons - I'm not dissing the game, just some of the people who seem to have this ... really weird fantasy complex

You know those people - they LITERALLY see a rainbow dragon fly over their lawn and land on it; it even talks to the lawn gnome that plays there! :excuseme:

He he I know so many people online that would find your post offensive. How dare you mock their experiences LOL

But I 100% agree with you!

I once started a thread on a new age board called: "How do you tell between spiritual experiences and delusion?"

OH boy that started a ruckess!! :idea: [Hmmm that gives me an idea]

Bettie
July 3rd, 2007, 09:54 PM
Oh, thank gods someone else thought this way too - I thought it was just me! Witchvox has some great articles, and is fantastic for networking, but some of the people there are just a little too.... intense... for my liking. It's like a really serious, delusional type of fluffiness has infected some of them.

brymble
July 3rd, 2007, 10:55 PM
seriously i don't read many of the articles. i read wren's nest, and because i was moving around so much in the past year, networking.

hopefully if this virginia thing goes off as i hope it will i can settle down for awhile and not have to check out a new community every 6 months. ahhhhhhh! that will feel wonderful!

Autumn
July 7th, 2007, 03:02 PM
I've lately found it close to useless, from looking at stores that no longer exist to almost no contact from others through the website. I sometimes read the articles but sometimes they annoy me. Read part of one from someone was all in a lather that the local paper wouldn't print their 'pagan church' listing with the more mainstream churches...granted the paper is small minded but I would think that finding other means of speading the word would be a lot more effective than getting very angry at the owners of the paper. But that's me!

I get more useful contacts through here and through Covenspace.

happynomad
July 29th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I admit to annoyance at the "navel gazing" . Most of the essays tend to be defensive in nature and seem to support a persecution complex. For what it's worth, I'm out as a pagan, and I have no trouble that I could not handle with a simple look or a cogent argument. The attitude from many essayists seem to be "No one understands and they need to accept me". No they don't. The freedom of religion we have in the US grants others the absolute right to call you a sinner and hellbound. They have no obligation to respect your beliefs, contrary to popular belief. They have a legal obligation to not discriminate, and even that is hazy in many places.

Are you strong in your belief?
Then why do you care what others think?
Why is a symbol more important than your path? You carry your path within and without, who cares about an external symbol?

If someone comes at me with discriminatory practices, I smile and say, "You better be able to make your position stick in a court of law" I've never had to bring a suit.

Other than that, it's a great site. I just get tired of sophomoric attitudes when things get unpleasant. Pay the price for your faith and shut up, or get out. Stop whining.

-Nomad

aluokaloo
August 30th, 2007, 09:26 AM
eh it's ok, I mostly go to read the news, or check out local events, they get incredibly biased at times.

RenDjembe
August 30th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I do find the essays a bit on the "Persecution" side. Most are just fluffy rants.
Wren's nest well if you post a non-popular opinion on a news article you get the post removed. Yes she is a bit Liberal & quite bias.

wolfjan1
August 30th, 2007, 03:15 PM
OK, now that I have done a quick scan, I will definitely go back.

Isabella SilverRain
September 9th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Witchvox helped me out a bit, since it was the first Pagan site I ever visited. I found out that one of my friends was a Pagan, so I was really glad that I visited the site! I agree that the information/essays has a little bit of persecution in them, but otherwise I like the site.

Earthwalker
January 17th, 2008, 09:55 AM
By and large, they're a great site. There's little else that even comes close to its class and because of that it will probably always stand out as a giant among all those other little sites people put together. I've been a bit bored with their essays lately, which is a big part of the site I usually like, but that isn't exactly *their* fault I suppose. They just need a regular writing staff or something that can always churn out something of quality on a fresh topic instead of the same beaten-and-dead ones.

YoungSoulRebel
January 29th, 2008, 03:16 AM
I hit good but could be better" in the sense that it has the potential to be a really good and valuable source, but the fact that they'll literally publish almost anything speaks volumes about the moderator's ideas of quality control. Also, since the site has become very inclusive of more flavours of Paganism than just Witchcraft, the name "WitchVox" can be misleading -- non-witch Pagans may avoid it, assuming simply from the name that it has nothing to offer them, and non-Pagans/Witches, especially those who have very little knowledge or understanding of the full spectrum of faiths huddled under the umbrella of "Paganism", may be led to the false conclusion that all Pagans practise Witchcraft, which just isn't true.

The lacking quality control, while allowing a wide variety of beliefs to be expressed (with the only exception made for beliefs that may be inflammatory or bigoted), it also allows for some... well... really "batshit" articles getting posted. The author of Wicca, For the Rest Of Us (http://wicca.timerift.net) made a good point with their article "Why Bad History Matters" -- in a similar vein, I feel that bad writing, in general, matters. It's common to see a WitchVox article that treats some of the infamously bad history (such as the false-theory of widespread matriarchal civilization) as "true fact" and seems permissable under the guise of "belief" or "opinion". Then there are pieces, like this woman's aptly-titled "rant" about menstruation and pagan women, but after the first paragraph and some, it very clearly turned into a very obvious tirade against the misogynistic and isolated rural Southern US town she grew up in, and after an initial mention, had practically nothing to do with what it seemed her initial point may have been (like embracing menstrual rituals, etc...) -- while I understand that she may have had a lot of resentment about growing up in such an environment, it seemed better suited for a Vox.com public web-diary post than an informative article about what she felt was the importance of such rituals (and reading it kind of made me feel "dirty" in the way reading about Britny Spears these days does, like the woman who wrote it was in the middle of some kind of emotional breakdown -- trust me, menstruation had NOTHING to do with my feelings of guilt while reading it).

The point of the site seems to be as an "inclusive" sort of Pagan web.zine, where amateur Pagan writers can get their start because the moderators have very few restrictions on what they allow published. This is potentially a very good thing, and I'm sure it's proved its value to many budding Pagan writers. On the other hand, it's almost too inclusive, to the point where it can sometimes feel very trying to separate the wheat from the chaff, and I find that I visit sparingly, and usually only when prompted to because somebody found an article either especially good, or honestly, when a friend or on-line acquaintance found an article so particularly bad as to be laughable.

Sethserpenthus
January 29th, 2008, 04:00 AM
I definitely have a love/hate relationship with Witchvox. I love it for the articles and the news, and it has a wonderful directory, but in each respect it also has certain aspects I find really irritating.

For example, a great deal of the articles submitted are either really standard, overdone things... or accusatory... or carrying a lot of persecution dramatica. I mean, how many articles do we need explaining that Witchcraft isn't Satanic or what a Hedgewitch is? And all those articles nit-picking about what Paganism is and shouldn't be... give me a break. Too many aimless rants, a lot of bad history, and a lot of times really I can't help but just get pissed off by some of them. Witchvox isn't writing the articles so I can forgive it mostly, but I gave up on reading most of the articles long ago unless they look to be something substantially different.

As far as the news goes, I like their news feed but get headaches from a lot of the comments. Again, can't blame them much for user submitted material.

I don't entirely get their ban on "Christian and Satanic material." I think they are trying to avoid preachers, but if that's the case why not ban preaching instead?

WitchyLady777
January 29th, 2008, 04:23 AM
I like it for links and news, but I am getting to the point where I don't want to read the comments anymore. Too much non-Pagan bashing going on, and a lot of smug attitudes that I just don't care for.

I like Wren, but sometimes the people who visit make me want to go ICK...

Rasari
January 29th, 2008, 12:38 PM
I hit its o.k...

It has a lot of potential... I'll admit.

Its useful for browsing for local shops or events.

Its advertising any group or coven or private function, even for teens/kids, without any substantial background or information worries me at times.
Its useful to find them, easy to weed out the questionable if you know what you're doing... But for a beginner, some of them sound so appealing they'd be hooked from the first line.

Its local member search would be more useful if they had a better contact system. Either PM or a forum. It would be nice if there were a comment option on the articles.

Its great that there is no particular bias as to what articles are published. Everything from Recon (not common) to Traditional to new age and eclectic.

Its not so great that there isn't a pro-accurate information / anti-persecution complex bias. (Then they can whine that they are persecuted because their whine about persecution and romanticized / revised history wasn't published. :) )

I guess I feel its so over-flowing with information that you can't really pull any substantial depth from it, that its a very vague, shallow pool of information. There is no stable foundation. Its like you're either learning to swim in the middle of the ocean or trying to drown in the kiddy pool... :o

BlueSage
January 29th, 2008, 02:08 PM
alot of "referral" links are coming to my community from witchvox which is quite nice :)

SilverClaw
January 29th, 2008, 02:42 PM
One thing I have noticed as of late is getting an account is rather difficult. I use to have one, but now they do not accept hotmail, due to whatever problem there was. And I have tried using other emails an no such luck.

Juniper138
January 29th, 2008, 04:12 PM
I mean, how many articles do we need explaining that Witchcraft isn't Satanic or what a Hedgewitch is?

Hey! I've written what is a hedgewitch is articles and had one published on witchvox. I take offense sir. *Put thumbs in ears, sticks out tongue, and wiggles fingers*

What kind of articles are SUPPOSED to be posted on witchvox then?

I like the fact that it is user submitted articles, yes it means reading articles on the same subject over and over again, but I try to remember that not everyone has been checking on witchvox every week for years. Some of them might be, like, new.
It also gives the greater pagan community a place to have their own voice, and not just rely on authors on the Llewellyn bank roll.

KiNoRonin
January 30th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Actually, I did manage to find a Wiccan Grove based in Harrison Hot Springs which is nearby my Third Sacred Grove about 25 Km North of the Eastern Side of Harrison Lake.

I have already sent that particular 3rd Degree Priestess a couple of emails.

KNR

She Never Replied!

:(

Have they gotten around to setting up a Message Forum like MW has yet?

KNR - 3X3

mtpathy
January 30th, 2008, 02:12 AM
its only as good as the people that frequent there...

mtpathy
January 30th, 2008, 02:19 AM
I once started a thread on a new age board called: "How do you tell between spiritual experiences and delusion?"

OH boy that started a ruckess!! :idea: [Hmmm that gives me an idea]

why thats actually a valid topic and one that should be addressed more often.

mtpathy
January 30th, 2008, 02:32 AM
I've been reading for about half a year, and joined maybe two months ago. I agree, there are a lot of shallow/mediocre articles that I sift through to get to the better ones. For this reason, I only check in every other week or so.

it seems that this is the consensis opinion of WV, how about everyone take one page out of there experiences and write a essay on it and submit to liven things up a bit, i know i have a few things that id be intrested in hearing peoples opinions on :)

sorry for the multiposts i read through the whole thread but commented on msgs individually instead of a mass "quote" lol.

YoungSoulRebel
February 1st, 2008, 01:41 AM
I definitely have a love/hate relationship with Witchvox. ....

For example, a great deal of the articles submitted are either really standard, overdone things... or accusatory... or carrying a lot of persecution dramatica. I mean, how many articles do we need explaining that Witchcraft isn't Satanic or what a Hedgewitch is? And all those articles nit-picking about what Paganism is and shouldn't be... give me a break. Too many aimless rants, a lot of bad history, and a lot of times really I can't help but just get pissed off by some of them. Witchvox isn't writing the articles so I can forgive it mostly, but I gave up on reading most of the articles long ago unless they look to be something substantially different.

Exactly everything I meant to say in the way I meant to say it! (I don't post here much, so I try to avoid stepping on anybody's toes, sometimes to a fault.)

As far as the news goes, I like their news feed but get headaches from a lot of the comments. Again, can't blame them much for user submitted material.

[nods] Totally. Some of the comments in a recent article about "Anonymous vs Scientology" just really made me go, "[blink-blink] ....buh???"

...but I'll totally admit that such is mainly based on my opinions of Scientology, which is based on many facts about the organisation that I see as crooked, to say the least. I'm all about religious freedom, people, but when an organisation has been shown to, well, use tactics that in a Prisoner Of War-type setting would be called manipulation to the point of brain-washing, the org needs to be forced to stop hiding behind the front of "religion" and exposed for the scam it is.

I don't entirely get their ban on "Christian and Satanic material." I think they are trying to avoid preachers, but if that's the case why not ban preaching instead?

Well, while I can understand where their ban on Christianity may be coming from, at least initially, I think some fair exceptions should be allowed. Also, I have to ask if anybody has any ideas on what their stance on Santeria, which is basically Catholic and Yoruba syncreticism, is under their ban on Christianity? Is it explicitly allowed as an exception, despite its obvious Christian roots and influence, or is it banned, too, simply because it's too "fuzzy" in that respect?

As far as their ban on satanism on there, I can understand that simply because, well, there *are* still a lot of Christians who believe that all witchcraft, or all Paganism in general, is Satanism. While such a ban on content is hardly going to change the minds of the really nutty people who just won't get it, ever, it will pique the curiosity of those who are willing to see where Pagans draw the line.

alot of "referral" links are coming to my community from witchvox which is quite nice :)

Yeah, I get that periodically. Usually after the rare occasion I post an article. And it's usually accompanied by a sudden flood of e-mails saying "Thank you for being a breath of smart air!" :-D

why thats actually a valid topic and one that should be addressed more often.

I have to say that I agree. Personally, I use a sort of "process of elimination" -- I'm hypoglycaemic, so the first thing I ask myself is "have I eaten recently", if I haven't, I'll still write things down, anyway, simply because there's a long tradition of "fasting" for the purpose of visions, but I take it with a grain of salt until I've had something to eat and then can think better about what I just saw and compare it to my other notes on things like dreams, random visions that occurred after having eaten recently, as well as other things -- if there are certain consistencies (the way a God is portrayed, colours, Gods, demigods, spirits, etc.. present), then I'll give my "malnourished vision" more clout, but if everything had come from left field, I'll set it aside until something else happens that puts it into perspective.

aluokaloo
April 3rd, 2008, 04:16 AM
my prob with *itchvox is that if you stick up for the christians, call people on their hypocrisy or stick up for satanists it get's edited or removed. I've had it with the people there.seriously

Amanda Mitchell
April 3rd, 2008, 08:03 AM
I guess maybe it's because it is so big and whatever but WitchVox confuses me... I feel like I get lost every time I visit. But then again, MW is kinda big, and I never feel lost here, so maybe it's just how WitchVox is set up or something... I don't really know.
:huh:

AutumnSage
October 7th, 2008, 09:20 PM
i can't seem to get on witchvox. i've tried on both IE and FireFox (both updated versions) and it tells me there is a problem loading the page! i've gotten on once before and then it just stopped letting me access it.

*~Amora~*
October 7th, 2008, 09:47 PM
It has good information, but it's really hard to navigate and it takes too long to update listings.

Hybrid
October 7th, 2008, 10:07 PM
i can't seem to get on witchvox. i've tried on both IE and FireFox (both updated versions) and it tells me there is a problem loading the page! i've gotten on once before and then it just stopped letting me access it.

I've had the same problem recently.
Anyway, I think it's a very good resource with some great information. Its also a great way to find out things going on in your local area.

~Audra~
November 22nd, 2008, 10:26 AM
i actually haven't been there in years...i'm too busy here and i'm thinking about starting an account at coven space...

perhaps i'll go check it out again...