PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions Regarding Celtic Reconstructionism

Morwyn
October 23rd, 2004, 03:06 PM
Hello :) ,

Okay , I have a few questions the first having to do with compatability , I am nearing the end of my search of the path that feels right to me , and I was wondering if "hard polytheism" and Traditional Witchcraft would integrate with Celtic Reconstructionism well or not , I was also wondering how Irish Reconstructionism would be different from Celtic Recon , or if it is just a more specific branch of the faith. Sorry if my wording is awkward Im a little bit confused trying to sort through the specifics to find what fits best :) , if it makes it any clearer , what is appealing to me , the following is what I am drawn to:
Celtic Reconstructionism
Irish Reconstructionism
Ancient Polytheism and " Hard Polytheism"
Avalonian Tradition
Traditional Witchcraft
if anyone sees any major conflict within my list or otherwise , please share your thoughts , any input would be appreciated as I am trying to clarify my path :)

Kern
October 23rd, 2004, 04:58 PM

Okay , I have a few questions the first having to do with compatability , I am nearing the end of my search of the path that feels right to me , and I was wondering if "hard polytheism" and Traditional Witchcraft would integrate with Celtic Reconstructionism well or not , I was also wondering how Irish Reconstructionism would be different from Celtic Recon , or if it is just a more specific branch of the faith. Sorry if my wording is awkward Im a little bit confused trying to sort through the specifics to find what fits best :) , if it makes it any clearer , what is appealing to me , the following is what I am drawn to:
Celtic Reconstructionism
Irish Reconstructionism
Avalonian Tradition
Traditional Witchcraft
if anyone sees any major conflict within my list or otherwise , please share your thoughts , any input would be appreciated as I am trying to clarify my path :)
As for will Witchcraft blend with Recon,Yes since witchcraft is a practice not a religion in it self and Recon is a religion.Any one can practice witchcraft no matter what culture they belong to.

Celtic Reconstructionism=Focus' on the Celtic religion as a whole.
Irish Reconstructionism=Focus' on the Irish version of the Celtic Religion
Ancient Polytheism and " Hard Polytheism"=any one can be either no matter what culture they are.Since it means a belief in more than one god,not just one or two.
Avalonian Tradition=Not sure of.
Traditional Witchcraft=Pre Gardnerian Witchcraft(Non Wiccan)=A practice not a religion.

Seren_
October 23rd, 2004, 07:50 PM

Celtic Reconstructionism
Irish Reconstructionism
Avalonian Tradition
Traditional Witchcraft

In part, it depends on your definition of the above...

To me, the difference between a Celtic and Irish Recon is the focus. An Irish recon focuses specifically on the Irish culture and practice, whereas a Celtic recon takes a broader basis of practice incorporating more than one Celtic culture - eg Irish, Welsh, Scottish, Gaulish. Some people might use the term "Celtic" as a blanket term when they want to be non-specific, much like someone might say "pagan" (like a Wiccan is a pagan, but also belonging to a specific path).

More and more, Celtic recons are tending to focus on more specific cultures under the Celtic umbrella since more research and information is now more widely available to allow a more focused approach. But as a starting point, "Celtic" might be a good label for someone starting out, until (or if) they decide on a more specific cultural/religious focus.

Traditional witchcraft also depends on your definition. If you mean the traditional (ie folk) practices recorded in Ireland (as an Irish recon, that is), then sure, it's compatible. If you mean traditional witchcraft in that it's "older", or simply not Wiccan, then it depends on your point of view, I guess. What I mean here is, by my understanding of Trad Witchcraft, magic circles are often cast and so on - something not known to have been done by the pagan Irish (for example). So for some recons who tend to focus on a specific time period as much as they can, magic circles wouldn't be too relevant to their religious or magical practice. It seems to me that a lot of recons who are interested in witchcraft - not all are, I'd add - either keep their "magical" practices separate from their religious practices, or in context, if that makes any sense. They don't mix and match, so much as study them concurrently.

Celtic recons (in the general sense) do tend to be hard polytheists, but not all hard polytheists are recons...From what I understand, the Avalonian Tradition is not recon per se...it has a more modern, and even feminist spin on ancient practice, from what I've read at witchvox and their website (though please correct me if I'm wrong), although many of their values are similar to a lot of recons, I think (like the emphasis on culture and research). And since you mention Irish recon, and the Avalonian trad is more Welsh focused, I'd guess you'd need to decide between the two before you commit yourself.

Morwyn
October 23rd, 2004, 09:54 PM
Okay Thankyou your replies cleared a few things up for me :) The avalonian tradition was the one I was least certain of , that was more of interest to me than actual belief ,and I really am seriously considering Irish recon so sorry if i caused confusion throwing that one in there. I was pretty sure Traditional Witchcraft wasnt a religion , but i wanted to see if it was common or acceptable for Celtic Recons to integrate the practice , once again thankyou for the responses :) everyones so polite and helpful here :ringaroun
Always helpful to get others' perspective

-Morwyn