PDA

View Full Version : Self hypnosis and meditation

Bix
October 28th, 2004, 02:34 PM
I'm currently reading a book on self hypnosis and it got me thinking. Is self hypnosis the same thing as deep meditation or trance states? Or is there something different about them?

HolographicJoe
October 28th, 2004, 02:55 PM
What's the book called and who wrote it? Sounds very interesting.

_wiz_

Shanti
October 28th, 2004, 02:58 PM
To me yes, but I cant explain it. I learned self hypnosis from Professor Meyer, A colledge professor back in the 70's.
I cant find words to explain the differance...its very simular to deep meditation but with more awareness of the conscious mind. More controlled by the conscious on the subconscious.

Thats the best I can do right now! :)

*Rain*
October 28th, 2004, 07:43 PM
I've been hypnotised a few times by professionals and it was completely different to any form of meditative state that I have been able to achieve over years of trying. I'm not really sure where self hypnosis fits in with it all, but even following the exercises given to me by a hypnotherapist, I have never been able to produce a similar state by myself. It's very difficult to describe but a hypnotist can definitely take you deeper under than you can go by yourself.

arctic splash
October 28th, 2004, 11:07 PM
From what I've *heard* often hypnosis doesn't feel like anything at all... people will be in a hypnotic state without even realising that they're in it. This isn't always true, but it often is.... In my experience with trance, however -- and I don't have much -- trance states are very recognisable as such.

Azure_Dreams
October 28th, 2004, 11:12 PM
I often go into my own trance state of mind before I do any spells or what-not!

Bix
November 1st, 2004, 11:56 PM
What's the book called and who wrote it? Sounds very interesting.

_wiz_
How to Hypnotize Yourself and Others by Dr. Rachel Copelan

I've having trouble seeing credibility in this book...it has numerous grammatical errors and really doesn't have a set outline. And I just found out the author is a professional sex educator...so it seems a bit odd she'd write a book on hypnosis. *shrugs*

halfwaynowhere
November 2nd, 2004, 12:01 AM
i have used self-hypnosis before, its an interesting experience. of course, for me it was very similar to meditation. when i tried to hypnotize my brother, he started acting stupid and wouldn't even let me get started, so i decided not to try it on others, but i still practice it myself when i'm really bored.