View Full Version : Yucky Hives!:sick:

March 3rd, 2001, 11:14 PM
Hi all... this isn't the nicest subject, but...
I've broken out in hives! I know it's from a new bubble bath that I used. I ran out of the stuff that I make, and was desperate for a bubble bath and the fragrance in the product really killed my skin.
I have very little experience with this problem... I've taken a few oatmeal baths, but am wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to other things that would ease my skin. I'm afraid to try much without knowing that it can be used on hives!

March 5th, 2001, 03:33 AM
Calendula, comfrey, lavender, plantain, sarsaparilla, tea tree oil, and witch hazel all work to relieve hives when applied externally. Under no circumstances should comfrey be taken internally (it can cause serious liver damage) or during pregnancy. Witch hazel, lavender, and tea tree oil would be used in liquid form, the rest can be made into a poultice or ointment.
I am allergic to everything imaginable, and have had lots of hives, I have used tea tree oil, comfrey, plantain, and calendula many times. Witch hazel is also a good astringent.

March 5th, 2001, 12:40 PM
Thank you so much for the advice. I tried witch hazel and lavender, and it was very soothing.
I grew allergic to many things over the past few years. I'd have a touch of hives here and there that wouldn't be too much trouble and would go away after a few hours. BUt these were almost everwhere and they lasted for... I"m on the fourth day now. Most have gone away, save for a few in the crooks of my knees.
Anyhow, didn't mean to babble on about that! Thanks! :)

March 5th, 2001, 02:20 PM
You're very welcome. I'm glad that they have cleared up now! Hives will drive you batty! :)

March 10th, 2001, 06:16 PM
Thanks for posting this. I'll share the info with my neighbor, she's had hives off and on for years. They must be really miserable because she's tried everything imaginable up to and including going to a witchdoctor in Guadalajara. In case anybody's interested - sleeping with a dead chicken won't cure them and neither will drinking your own urine. :)