PDA

View Full Version : Another Candle Question

Scarlet
October 30th, 2004, 05:34 PM

Sowelu
October 30th, 2004, 08:14 PM
How do you make your scented candles? I make candles all the time and the only scented one I made was when I melted a vanilla candle and mixed cinnamon in it. It is by far my favorite candle because it smells SO good. What other spices could you mix in that would smell good? Is there any other thing to use besides spices to scent candles?

I would have posted this in the other candle thread I made but I forgot.
Rose petals and Lavender could be used. You can also use rose petal leaves themselves but there's a certain way of doing it so that when the candle is lit it doesn't actually burn the petals or buds (if you're using lavender buds).
If you'd like to know more let me know.:)
What kinds of candle molds are you using?

misschief
October 30th, 2004, 08:40 PM
i mix plum and lilac alot, it smells perfumey tho, and some don't like that... also lilac and gardenia is nice with rose petals. i buy stuff called candle scents, it's ready, all you do is dump some into your melted wax and mix it up a little bit.

Sowelu
October 30th, 2004, 09:13 PM
I don't have an 'official' candle mold. Usually I use jars or cookie cutters if I want some cool shapes. Soon I hope to get some other kinds of molds so I can make the candle sticks and stuff.
How do you put the rose petals in without it burning? And is it okay to put essential oils into the candle wax mix?
Hmm...the only method I know of having the petals or herbs on the outside of the candle is to dip the finished candle into some wax that has the herbs or petals in it. Or, you could apply petals or herbs on the outside of the candle by hand.
How long (if you don't mind me asking) have you been making candles Scarlet? I'm here to help the best I can if you need. I've been making candles since I was 17 or 18 yrs old.
I'll also include some websites here that might help too (as I find them):)
I'll also include a list of the candle scents that I have available, and I'll send you some free samples as soon as I get some money to send them (probably this friday or saturday).:)

Here's one site to start with:

http://candles.genwax.com/candle_instructions/___0___candlemaking_instructions.htm

Sowelu
October 30th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Here's another one:

http://www.candlesandsupplies.com/projects.html

Here's where I bought my molds at reasonable prices:

www.craftstore.com (http://www.craftstore.com)

or craftexpress.com

Sowelu
October 30th, 2004, 10:00 PM
I made my first candle when I was about 13 when my mom got me a candle making kit. I never used anything from the kit except the wax part and I just made my own designs. I would love it if you could post sites and share tips with me! :) Do you ever use crayons to color candles? I posted another thread about that today and they said it was okay to do. I myself have never done that but I have a shoebox full of crayons that I dont use and Im sure its sheaper to buy white wax and color it with crayons rather than buying already colored wax.
I've never used crayons to color candles but many people say it works quite well!
I use a very concentrated candle wax dye that I got from French Color & Chemical Co. They sent me a whole bunch of samples a long time ago. I'm not sure if they still give free samples but can find out. There are some companies out there that will send free samples sometimes.
I'll get back to you with more...I need to go find my candle scents list.:smile:

Sowelu
October 30th, 2004, 10:46 PM
I can't seem to find my list of candle scents I had saved. I will have to type it out and post it here for you.
I will post it as soon as I can....:D

Sowelu
October 30th, 2004, 11:43 PM
Thanks! :)
Anytime!:)